Check Printing - Enhanced Features

Calum Polwart
I have no idea if this the correct place to post this, but I'm doing it anyway.  I'm also not subscribed so it'll probably bounce4 and never be read!

I've been tring out the check printing facility with a UK cheque book to see how it works.  Not surprisingly none of the templates work so I was experimenting with custom.  Only to discover that custom settings are lost when GnuCASH is restarted...  Please could they be saved (preferably so that you could save multiple formats too).

Other thoughts, the cheque i was writing was for 102.85GBP - the text says "One hundered two and 85/100".  In the UK at least we would normally write this in one of the following ways:

- One hundered and Two POUNDS and 85p
- One hundered and Two Pounds and Eighty-Five Pence

I'm not sure if I gave a shop a cheque written the way it is by Gnu that it would be accepted (I know the bank probably would, but what do the users in between think?

The currency of the transaction is known so PLEASE consider adding the pounds (or dollars or euros) and perhaps pence and cents?

Calum

Re: Check Printing - Enhanced Features

Calum Polwart <[hidden email]> writes:

> I have no idea if this the correct place to post this, but I'm doing it
> anyway.  I'm also not subscribed so it'll probably bounce4 and never be read!

No, it'll just stick in the queue until the moderator clears it.

> I've been tring out the check printing facility with a UK cheque book to see
> how it works.  Not surprisingly none of the templates work so I was
> experimenting with custom.  Only to discover that custom settings are lost
> when GnuCASH is restarted...  Please could they be saved (preferably so that
> you could save multiple formats too).

File an Enhancement Request in Bugzilla.  I think there might already
be one on this topic, so you should check before you file a new one.
If you really want to see it happen, though, you should submit a patch.
It's more likely to get you your feature in a timely fashion.

Admittedly the check printing features need to be re-written and
enhanced.  Saving the custom format is one thing.  Saving your
last-chosen setting is another.

Unfortunately, right now it takes modifying scheme, C, and probably
glade to get a new format into the system.  It's not TOO hard but you
do need to make changes in too many places..

> Other thoughts, the cheque i was writing was for 102.85GBP - the text says
> "One hundered two and 85/100".  In the UK at least we would normally write
> this in one of the following ways:
>
> - One hundered and Two POUNDS and 85p
> - One hundered and Two Pounds and Eighty-Five Pence
>
> I'm not sure if I gave a shop a cheque written the way it is by Gnu that it
> would be accepted (I know the bank probably would, but what do the users in
> between think?

Well, this is even more challenging...  We would need a per-locale
(well, per currency, more likely) translation mechanism.  Even worse
is trying to translate into different languages!

> The currency of the transaction is known so PLEASE consider adding the pounds
> (or dollars or euros) and perhaps pence and cents?

Everything is considered..  However it should get put into bugzilla so
it doesn't get forgotten.  Add a patch and it might even get into a
release in a timely fashion ;)