Capital gain import - qif or ofx?

Jeff Carneal-2

Ok, so I have an account that provides me CSV format transactions
that in the past I converted to QIF for import.  I'm sure that will
still work with gnucash with one added wrinkle:  accounting for
realized capital gains.

I'd like to account for them as provided in example 8.7.1 here:

http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/invest-sell1.html

I can easily get the following parts of the transaction to work on
QIF import:

Assets:Bank                    3525
Assets:Stock:SYMBOL              3600
Expenses:Commissions   75

The part I am unable to get to import correctly is:

Assets:Stock:SYMBOL   1600    (shares=0, price=0)
Income:Capital Gains                  1600

No matter what I try, I cannot get a valid QIF file to import with
those two.  The best I've been able to do is the following:

Imbalance-USD:       1600
Income:Capital Gains             1600

It appears that the import cannot reconcile 0 shares for 0 dollars to
a total of $1600 so it throws it into the Imbalance account instead.

So my questions are:

1)  Can someone show me a .qif entry that will import as this example
is written?

2)  If not, is what I am going for possible with an OFX import and
can someone give me an example?

3)  Are there hooks such that I could learn scheme (ack!) and write
my own importer for exactly this?  Where do I begin?

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: Capital gain import - qif or ofx?

Derek Atkins
I think you're right that the QIF importer wont do this.

-derek

Jeff Carneal <[hidden email]> writes:

> Ok, so I have an account that provides me CSV format transactions
> that in the past I converted to QIF for import.  I'm sure that will
> still work with gnucash with one added wrinkle:  accounting for
> realized capital gains.
>
> I'd like to account for them as provided in example 8.7.1 here:
>
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/invest-sell1.html
>
> I can easily get the following parts of the transaction to work on
> QIF import:
>
> Assets:Bank                    3525
> Assets:Stock:SYMBOL              3600
> Expenses:Commissions   75
>
> The part I am unable to get to import correctly is:
>
> Assets:Stock:SYMBOL   1600    (shares=0, price=0)
> Income:Capital Gains                  1600
>
> No matter what I try, I cannot get a valid QIF file to import with
> those two.  The best I've been able to do is the following:
>
> Imbalance-USD:       1600
> Income:Capital Gains             1600
>
> It appears that the import cannot reconcile 0 shares for 0 dollars to
> a total of $1600 so it throws it into the Imbalance account instead.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1)  Can someone show me a .qif entry that will import as this example
> is written?
>
> 2)  If not, is what I am going for possible with an OFX import and
> can someone give me an example?
>
> 3)  Are there hooks such that I could learn scheme (ack!) and write
> my own importer for exactly this?  Where do I begin?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

Re: Capital gain import - qif or ofx?

Jeff Carneal-2
Any ideas about the OFX importer?

Or any hints how would I get started customizing the current QIF
importer to do it?

Thanks,
Jeff

On Feb 12, 2007, at 9:17 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> I think you're right that the QIF importer wont do this.
>
> -derek
>
> Jeff Carneal <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Ok, so I have an account that provides me CSV format transactions
>> that in the past I converted to QIF for import.  I'm sure that will
>> still work with gnucash with one added wrinkle:  accounting for
>> realized capital gains.
>>
>> I'd like to account for them as provided in example 8.7.1 here:
>>
>> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/invest-sell1.html
>>
>> I can easily get the following parts of the transaction to work on
>> QIF import:
>>
>> Assets:Bank                    3525
>> Assets:Stock:SYMBOL              3600
>> Expenses:Commissions   75
>>
>> The part I am unable to get to import correctly is:
>>
>> Assets:Stock:SYMBOL   1600    (shares=0, price=0)
>> Income:Capital Gains                  1600
>>
>> No matter what I try, I cannot get a valid QIF file to import with
>> those two.  The best I've been able to do is the following:
>>
>> Imbalance-USD:       1600
>> Income:Capital Gains             1600
>>
>> It appears that the import cannot reconcile 0 shares for 0 dollars to
>> a total of $1600 so it throws it into the Imbalance account instead.
>>
>> So my questions are:
>>
>> 1)  Can someone show me a .qif entry that will import as this example
>> is written?
>>
>> 2)  If not, is what I am going for possible with an OFX import and
>> can someone give me an example?
>>
>> 3)  Are there hooks such that I could learn scheme (ack!) and write
>> my own importer for exactly this?  Where do I begin?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jeff

>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: Capital gain import - qif or ofx?

Derek Atkins
Jeff Carneal <[hidden email]> writes:

> Any ideas about the OFX importer?

Unfortunately I dont know.

> Or any hints how would I get started customizing the current QIF
> importer to do it?

Um, edit the scheme?