Can't open budget after closing it

Tim Wunder (Lists)
If I start with a freshly copied gnucash-1.8.11  data file and open it with
G2, then do File-Open-Open Budget, then close the Budget tab, I can no longer
Open a Budget. Doesn't matter if I make entries into the budget or not.
Doesn't matter if I save the file with the budget open or not.

Also, if I save and close G2 with the budget open, the budget is not opened
when I re-open G2, and I can't manually open it.

$ svn info |grep Rev
Revision: 11907
Last Changed Rev: 11907

Regards,
Tim

--
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz), Linux 2.6.13-1.1532_FC4
KDE: 3.4.3-1.0.fc4.kde, xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2

Re: Can't open budget after closing it

Chris Shoemaker
On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 08:31:52PM -0500, Tim Wunder wrote:
> If I start with a freshly copied gnucash-1.8.11  data file and open it with
> G2, then do File-Open-Open Budget, then close the Budget tab, I can no longer
> Open a Budget. Doesn't matter if I make entries into the budget or not.
> Doesn't matter if I save the file with the budget open or not.
>
> Also, if I save and close G2 with the budget open, the budget is not opened
> when I re-open G2, and I can't manually open it.

Sorry, Tim.  I've had some hardware failures that prevent me from
testing this at the moment, but I can at least tell you that it has
worked for me.  There may have been a regression since budgets were
merged into G2, or there may be something different about your
environment that I didn't account for.

I'll see if I can dust off some old hardware to test with, but it
might help if you could provide a bit more info: When you save to a
file, can you grep the xml file for Budget?  Also, when you try to
open a budget, what happens?  Do you get an empty budget or none at
all?  Are there any console messages?

-chris

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 11:29:20AM -0500, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> Sorry, Tim.  I've had some hardware failures that prevent me from
> testing this at the moment, but I can at least tell you that it has
> worked for me.  There may have been a regression since budgets were
> merged into G2, or there may be something different about your
> environment that I didn't account for.

Tim,
        Oh, actually, the real problem was that I didn't sufficiently
test some last-minute changes I made during integration.  The problem
you see will only occur if you have exactly one budget.  So, you can
work-around this problem in one of two ways:

1) Just create an extra budget.  Then when you open a budget, you'll
have to use the dialog to select the one you want to open; OR

2) change "GncBudget *bgt;" to "GncBudget *bgt = NULL;" in
gnc_plugin_budget_cmd_open_budget() found on or about
src/gnome/gnc-plugin-budget.c:211.

If you went through the trouble of making a budget, rest assured it's
still there.  Sorry for the trouble.

-chris

ps.  I can't actually test this ATM, but I'm 99% sure this is the problem.

Re: Can't open budget after closing it

David Hampton-2
On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 20:31 -0500, Tim Wunder wrote:

> Also, if I save and close G2 with the budget open, the budget is not opened
> when I re-open G2,

I haven't implemented restoration of budget pages yet.  Currently
supported are account trees, registers and reports.

Re: Can't open budget after closing it

Tim Wunder (Lists)
On Saturday 12 November 2005 11:52 am, someone claiming to be Chris Shoemaker
wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 11:29:20AM -0500, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> > Sorry, Tim.  I've had some hardware failures that prevent me from
> > testing this at the moment, but I can at least tell you that it has
> > worked for me.  There may have been a regression since budgets were
> > merged into G2, or there may be something different about your
> > environment that I didn't account for.
>
> Tim,
>         Oh, actually, the real problem was that I didn't sufficiently
> test some last-minute changes I made during integration.  The problem
> you see will only occur if you have exactly one budget.  So, you can
> work-around this problem in one of two ways:
>
> 1) Just create an extra budget.  Then when you open a budget, you'll
> have to use the dialog to select the one you want to open; OR
>
> 2) change "GncBudget *bgt;" to "GncBudget *bgt = NULL;" in
> gnc_plugin_budget_cmd_open_budget() found on or about
> src/gnome/gnc-plugin-budget.c:211.
>
> If you went through the trouble of making a budget, rest assured it's
> still there.  Sorry for the trouble.

I tried this on the source tree I had at the time I reported the problem and
it didn't work. I updated from SVN last night and the file seems to have been
changed. Yet, the problem persists.

Lines 211-222 in gnc-plugin-budget.c are:

GncBudget *
gnc_budget_gui_select_budget(QofBook *book)
{
    GncBudget *bgt;
    GtkDialog *dlg;
    GtkTreeView *tv;
    GtkTreeIter iter;
    GtkTreeSelection *sel;
    GtkTreeModel *tm;
    gint response;
    gboolean ok;

Regards,
Tim

wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 11:29:20AM -0500, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> > Sorry, Tim.  I've had some hardware failures that prevent me from
> > testing this at the moment, but I can at least tell you that it has
> > worked for me.  There may have been a regression since budgets were
> > merged into G2, or there may be something different about your
> > environment that I didn't account for.
>
> Tim,
>         Oh, actually, the real problem was that I didn't sufficiently
> test some last-minute changes I made during integration.  The problem
> you see will only occur if you have exactly one budget.  So, you can
> work-around this problem in one of two ways:
>
> 1) Just create an extra budget.  Then when you open a budget, you'll
> have to use the dialog to select the one you want to open; OR
>
> 2) change "GncBudget *bgt;" to "GncBudget *bgt = NULL;" in
> gnc_plugin_budget_cmd_open_budget() found on or about
> src/gnome/gnc-plugin-budget.c:211.
>
> If you went through the trouble of making a budget, rest assured it's
> still there.  Sorry for the trouble.

This works. My previous problem with this fix likely had to do with my borken
build (see "What version of G2 am I running?" thread).

FWIW, according to vi, I changed line 187.

I'll assume you'll actually fix the file on SVN...

Tim

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 10:50:00PM -0500, Tim Wunder wrote:
> This works. My previous problem with this fix likely had to do with my borken
> build (see "What version of G2 am I running?" thread).

I figured as much.  :)

> I'll assume you'll actually fix the file on SVN...

Absolutely.  Thanks for testing.

-chris