Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

Patrick Doyle
I would much rather have gnc pop up an error message saying "You can't
enter this transaction" than to have it silently create an account for
me.

Obviously, I've checked the preferences menus and don't see an option
for that.  I wonder if there is a way to configure this
under-the-hood.

An alternative, and less preferred solution, would be for me to
designate to which account imbalance transactions should be recorded.

--wpd
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

jcard21 xxxxxxx
On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Patrick Doyle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would much rather have gnc pop up an error message saying "You can't
> enter this transaction" than to have it silently create an account for
> me.
>
> Obviously, I've checked the preferences menus and don't see an option
> for that.  I wonder if there is a way to configure this
> under-the-hood.
>
> An alternative, and less preferred solution, would be for me to
> designate to which account imbalance transactions should be recorded.
>
> --wpd

I don't believe there is an option to change this behavior, nor should
there be one.

Here is what I do...

I manually enter my transaction, including the 2 or more split lines,
accounts, and amounts. After entering the last split amount, I use the
UP arrow to move off the split line the cursor is on, but still
remaining "in" the current transaction.

Every time your cursor moves off a split line, gnuCash verifies
whether the transaction is balanced (debits = credits). It will add a
new split line to "correct" any imbalance.

I visually take 2 seconds, literally, to make sure everything looks
right, and that NO new Unbalanced split line has been added by
gnuCash, before moving on to my next transaction entry.

I hope this helps you.

---
jcard21
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

Mike or Penny Novack
In reply to this post by Patrick Doyle
On 1/4/2015 9:34 AM, Patrick Doyle wrote:

> I would much rather have gnc pop up an error message saying "You can't
> enter this transaction" than to have it silently create an account for
> me.
>
> Obviously, I've checked the preferences menus and don't see an option
> for that.  I wonder if there is a way to configure this
> under-the-hood.
>
> An alternative, and less preferred solution, would be for me to
> designate to which account imbalance transactions should be recorded.
I really think you need to read and reread the basics of double entry
bookkeeping. Yes what you suggest first (don't allow) is ONE option for
not being in balance (not specifying an account for some portion of the
transaction). But most of us would strongly dislike that way of handling
the problem. What problem? In the middle of entering a transaction we
realize that we will have to make some change to the chart of accounts
to finish this transaction correctly. NOW which do you prefer? Aborting
the transaction so you can go off the make the change, or temporarily
putting that part into "Imbalance" (letting you get the transaction
entered), making the change to the account tree, and then transferring
the item from Imbalance to the correct account**.

You want a to designate a different NAME for the account. You don't like
the name "Imbalance" for "the account where portions of transactions go
for which we can't yet (or didn't yet) specify the correct account?

One of your tasks, when using gnucash, is to make sure you don't end up
leaving stuff in Imbalance or Orphan.

BTW, in a real business setting, there would be an account called
"Suspense". Say an envelope arrives with a check in it, wrong amount, or
no explanation what it was for (wrong or missing paperwork). The office
practice wouldn't be to sit on the check until the problem was resolved,
could take many days and the loose check got lost. Instead it would be
deposited (debit) with the "suspense" account credited. Then it would be
somebody's job to one by one solve all the mysterious suspense items.

Michael D Novack

** Remember, in a business setting especially, authorizations to do
these tasks might be on different people. Not up to the clerk entering
the transactions to decide how to modify the chart of accounts!(just to
be smart enough to realize "no proper place to put this") While I'm the
sole person entering for the organizations for which I m treasurer I
still might want to consult the rest of the directors, the executive
committee, or the accountant before actually making the change. But most
often I have to consult the person who actually did the transaction (the
receipt you sent me for reimbursement indicated the vendor, but what was
the item so I know what category of expense). I don't want to stop in
the middle of entering transactions when I realize my email question
hadn't been entered yet.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

gnucash-user
On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 10:06:32 -0500
Mike or Penny Novack <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/4/2015 9:34 AM, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> > I would much rather have gnc pop up an error message saying "You
> > can't enter this transaction" than to have it silently create an
> > account for me.
> >
> > Obviously, I've checked the preferences menus and don't see an
> > option for that.  I wonder if there is a way to configure this
> > under-the-hood.
> >

If I remember correctly, gnc behavior changed some number of major
versions ago to silently balancing transactions from popping up an
error message--as the OP (and myself) would like. My finger brains
continue to be tripped up ever since.

> > An alternative, and less preferred solution, would be for me to
> > designate to which account imbalance transactions should be
> > recorded.
> I really think you need to read and reread the basics of double entry
> bookkeeping. Yes what you suggest first (don't allow) is ONE option
> for not being in balance (not specifying an account for some portion
> of the transaction). But most of us would strongly dislike that way
> of handling the problem. What problem? In the middle of entering a
> transaction we realize that we will have to make some change to the
> chart of accounts to finish this transaction correctly. NOW which do
> you prefer? Aborting the transaction so you can go off the make the
> change, or temporarily putting that part into "Imbalance" (letting
> you get the transaction entered), making the change to the account
> tree, and then transferring the item from Imbalance to the correct
> account**.
>
> You want a to designate a different NAME for the account. You don't
> like the name "Imbalance" for "the account where portions of
> transactions go for which we can't yet (or didn't yet) specify the
> correct account?
>
> One of your tasks, when using gnucash, is to make sure you don't end
> up leaving stuff in Imbalance or Orphan.

In my case, Imbalance or Orphan splits are 100% created as a result of
data entry errors. I'd much rather have the error brought to my
attention immediately rather than (sometimes) going back to check.

I might humbly suggest a return to the previous mode where the
unbalanced error dialog allows the choice to:

- create balancing split (handles case with delays in creating accounts)
- return to transaction (data entry error, mistype, etc)
- cancel transaction (throw everything away)

This would enforce proper double entry accounting. A preference to set
the default to automatically create balancing splits might be handy to
keep the current behavior.


>
> BTW, in a real business setting, there would be an account called
> "Suspense". Say an envelope arrives with a check in it, wrong amount,
> or no explanation what it was for (wrong or missing paperwork). The
> office practice wouldn't be to sit on the check until the problem was
> resolved, could take many days and the loose check got lost. Instead
> it would be deposited (debit) with the "suspense" account credited.
> Then it would be somebody's job to one by one solve all the
> mysterious suspense items.
>
> Michael D Novack
>
> ** Remember, in a business setting especially, authorizations to do
> these tasks might be on different people. Not up to the clerk
> entering the transactions to decide how to modify the chart of
> accounts!(just to be smart enough to realize "no proper place to put
> this") While I'm the sole person entering for the organizations for
> which I m treasurer I still might want to consult the rest of the
> directors, the executive committee, or the accountant before actually
> making the change. But most often I have to consult the person who
> actually did the transaction (the receipt you sent me for
> reimbursement indicated the vendor, but what was the item so I know
> what category of expense). I don't want to stop in the middle of
> entering transactions when I realize my email question hadn't been
> entered yet. _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

David Carlson-4
In reply to this post by Patrick Doyle
On 1/4/2015 8:34 AM, Patrick Doyle wrote:

> I would much rather have gnc pop up an error message saying "You can't
> enter this transaction" than to have it silently create an account for
> me.
>
> Obviously, I've checked the preferences menus and don't see an option
> for that.  I wonder if there is a way to configure this
> under-the-hood.
>
> An alternative, and less preferred solution, would be for me to
> designate to which account imbalance transactions should be recorded.
>
> --wpd
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
> .
>

Patrick,

You are finding the quirks that GnuCash has mostly had for years which
arise from the double entry method of bookkeeping and the GnuCash
solutions to keep the books balanced.  In every case, I think that the
solutions have withstood the test of time, and represent one solution
that works for most users.  In some cases, they are not the same as the
solution that you may have become accustomed to when using a
non-double-entry software such as Quicken, and they must differ to work
correctly.

That said, we welcome questions from new users, as it keeps us on our
toes when we need to give good answers.

David C


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

John Morris
In reply to this post by jcard21 xxxxxxx
On Jan 4, 2015, at 10:01 AM, jcard21 xxxxxxx wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Patrick Doyle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I would much rather have gnc pop up an error message saying "You can't
>> enter this transaction" than to have it silently create an account for
>> me.
>>
>> Obviously, I've checked the preferences menus and don't see an option
>> for that.  I wonder if there is a way to configure this
>> under-the-hood.
>>
>> An alternative, and less preferred solution, would be for me to
>> designate to which account imbalance transactions should be recorded.
>>
>> --wpd
>
> I don't believe there is an option to change this behavior, nor should
> there be one.

  I wholeheartedly disagree. The fact that a few or the majority of users prefer one behavior does not mean the others should be ignored. The preferences gives developers the option to have the cake and eat it too. Those who prefer the current behavior are free to ignore such an option, but those of us who prefer the behavior from several GnuCash versions ago could be accommodated with little trouble on anyone's part.

John
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

David Carlson-4
On 1/4/2015 10:10 AM, John Morris wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2015, at 10:01 AM, jcard21 xxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Patrick Doyle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I would much rather have gnc pop up an error message saying "You can't
>>> enter this transaction" than to have it silently create an account for
>>> me.
>>>
>>> Obviously, I've checked the preferences menus and don't see an option
>>> for that.  I wonder if there is a way to configure this
>>> under-the-hood.
>>>
>>> An alternative, and less preferred solution, would be for me to
>>> designate to which account imbalance transactions should be recorded.
>>>
>>> --wpd
>> I don't believe there is an option to change this behavior, nor should
>> there be one.
>   I wholeheartedly disagree. The fact that a few or the majority of users prefer one behavior does not mean the others should be ignored. The preferences gives developers the option to have the cake and eat it too. Those who prefer the current behavior are free to ignore such an option, but those of us who prefer the behavior from several GnuCash versions ago could be accommodated with little trouble on anyone's part.
>
> John
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>


I would not use the word correct as an adjective when describing
preferences.  All preferences should be correct.  The whole point of
preferences would be to provide alternatives that are also correct.

I have my own opinion about whether GnuCash should interrupt the user
and force him to find a correct account to use for a balancing entry on
the spot when he may be in a hurry to finish up before the football
game, and I happen to like the current implementation.  If there are
enough of you that liked the old way, and you make your opinions known,
perhaps the developers will consider making something similar to that a
preference.  There are some points, such as during a lengthy import, for
example, when there may be as many as hundreds of exceptions to resolve,
when that would become very unwieldy.

David C
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

David Carlson-4
On 1/4/2015 12:13 PM, David Carlson wrote:

> On 1/4/2015 10:10 AM, John Morris wrote:
>> On Jan 4, 2015, at 10:01 AM, jcard21 xxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Patrick Doyle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> I would much rather have gnc pop up an error message saying "You can't
>>>> enter this transaction" than to have it silently create an account for
>>>> me.
>>>>
>>>> Obviously, I've checked the preferences menus and don't see an option
>>>> for that.  I wonder if there is a way to configure this
>>>> under-the-hood.
>>>>
>>>> An alternative, and less preferred solution, would be for me to
>>>> designate to which account imbalance transactions should be recorded.
>>>>
>>>> --wpd
>>> I don't believe there is an option to change this behavior, nor should
>>> there be one.
>>   I wholeheartedly disagree. The fact that a few or the majority of users prefer one behavior does not mean the others should be ignored. The preferences gives developers the option to have the cake and eat it too. Those who prefer the current behavior are free to ignore such an option, but those of us who prefer the behavior from several GnuCash versions ago could be accommodated with little trouble on anyone's part.
>>
>> John
>> _______________________________________________
>> gnucash-user mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>> -----
>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>>
>
> I would not use the word correct as an adjective when describing
> preferences.  All preferences should be correct.  The whole point of
> preferences would be to provide alternatives that are also correct.
>
> I have my own opinion about whether GnuCash should interrupt the user
> and force him to find a correct account to use for a balancing entry on
> the spot when he may be in a hurry to finish up before the football
> game, and I happen to like the current implementation.  If there are
> enough of you that liked the old way, and you make your opinions known,
> perhaps the developers will consider making something similar to that a
> preference.  There are some points, such as during a lengthy import, for
> example, when there may be as many as hundreds of exceptions to resolve,
> when that would become very unwieldy.
>
> David C
I need to correct my incorrect usage of the word correct. I apparently
misread the previous post, and confused it with something else.  Please
disregard the first sentence of the first paragraph.

David C
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

Phil Longstaff-5
In reply to this post by Mike or Penny Novack
I agree with the original poster. I'd like the option, because usually when
the imbalance account is created, it is an error. Again, I'd like the
*option* of creating the imbalance account or preventing the transaction
from being saved. If I do, in fact, need a new account, then I can just
rename and reposition the imbalance account. If it is an error or a typo,
the transaction hasn't been saved and I can fix the problem.

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 10:06 AM, Mike or Penny Novack <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/4/2015 9:34 AM, Patrick Doyle wrote:
>
>> I would much rather have gnc pop up an error message saying "You can't
>> enter this transaction" than to have it silently create an account for
>> me.
>>
>> Obviously, I've checked the preferences menus and don't see an option
>> for that.  I wonder if there is a way to configure this
>> under-the-hood.
>>
>> An alternative, and less preferred solution, would be for me to
>> designate to which account imbalance transactions should be recorded.
>>
> I really think you need to read and reread the basics of double entry
> bookkeeping. Yes what you suggest first (don't allow) is ONE option for not
> being in balance (not specifying an account for some portion of the
> transaction). But most of us would strongly dislike that way of handling
> the problem. What problem? In the middle of entering a transaction we
> realize that we will have to make some change to the chart of accounts to
> finish this transaction correctly. NOW which do you prefer? Aborting the
> transaction so you can go off the make the change, or temporarily putting
> that part into "Imbalance" (letting you get the transaction entered),
> making the change to the account tree, and then transferring the item from
> Imbalance to the correct account**.
>
> You want a to designate a different NAME for the account. You don't like
> the name "Imbalance" for "the account where portions of transactions go for
> which we can't yet (or didn't yet) specify the correct account?
>
> One of your tasks, when using gnucash, is to make sure you don't end up
> leaving stuff in Imbalance or Orphan.
>
> BTW, in a real business setting, there would be an account called
> "Suspense". Say an envelope arrives with a check in it, wrong amount, or no
> explanation what it was for (wrong or missing paperwork). The office
> practice wouldn't be to sit on the check until the problem was resolved,
> could take many days and the loose check got lost. Instead it would be
> deposited (debit) with the "suspense" account credited. Then it would be
> somebody's job to one by one solve all the mysterious suspense items.
>
> Michael D Novack
>
> ** Remember, in a business setting especially, authorizations to do these
> tasks might be on different people. Not up to the clerk entering the
> transactions to decide how to modify the chart of accounts!(just to be
> smart enough to realize "no proper place to put this") While I'm the sole
> person entering for the organizations for which I m treasurer I still might
> want to consult the rest of the directors, the executive committee, or the
> accountant before actually making the change. But most often I have to
> consult the person who actually did the transaction (the receipt you sent
> me for reimbursement indicated the vendor, but what was the item so I know
> what category of expense). I don't want to stop in the middle of entering
> transactions when I realize my email question hadn't been entered yet.
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

change the Imbalance-USD account behavior

gorth
In reply to this post by David Carlson-4
obviously there are a lot of [strong] opinions on what may appear to be a minor issue. I don't think anybody reflected the software engineering viewpoint. As a professional programmer my experience shows that when there are a lot of ways to handle an error or a "warning" - in this case, you have an incomplete journal entry until DR's equal CR's - the better programmer should provide options for the user. Personally I find the auto-entry of Imbalance or Orphan a pain, as I usually need to rapidly switch between an excel or text file to get the account or amount, and Gnucash is very (too) sensitive and often the entry has Imbalance/Orphan lines, even multiple ones. I would like to see a "peg as open" button button/icon to leave it in an "open" state and it amazes me that this was not done.

the default action, putting the balance to some account (call it whatever), is a tolerable stop-gap solution. I am thinking about writing an adjunct sub-program that would go thru the journal entries and clean them up, deleting Imbalance/Orphan journal entry lines with zero balances as they serve absolutely no purpose except to show where the user/accountant had a frustrating time with this software program.

As a C++ guy I can do this.. ideally if I could find a client to finance the project...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

John Ralls-2
In reply to this post by Phil Longstaff-5
This is an old complaint:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=164317
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=402289
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=548357

There are a few more for making the imbalance accounts disappear when the account is fixed up.

Anyone feel up to writing a patch?

Regards,
John Ralls
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

randix
"Anyone feel up to writing a patch?"

What? And spoil my regular Saturday calendar item to "Check GnuCash Imbalance" that I look forward to each week?  
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

sunfish62
In reply to this post by David Carlson-4
Personally, I don’t care one way or another. I imagine now that I am accustomed to how it works now, and I like not being interrupted every time a transaction doesn’t balance. My current method is: a) pay attention to the little “x”es in the transaction, which tell users that an open transaction is not yet balanced, and then b) periodically open the Imbalances account and fix up the transactions that show up there. Since I do a lot of importing of transactions, I have a lot of entries that I have to manually edit anyway; this way, the Imbalance account serves as a reminder to me to clean things up.

If a preference could be added without outrageous effort (by someone other than feeble-brained me), then I wouldn’t argue against it. Since I am not doing the programming anyway, I am happy to work with it as it is.

David

On Jan 4, 2015, at 10:13 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/4/2015 10:10 AM, John Morris wrote:
>> On Jan 4, 2015, at 10:01 AM, jcard21 xxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Patrick Doyle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> I would much rather have gnc pop up an error message saying "You can't
>>>> enter this transaction" than to have it silently create an account for
>>>> me.
>>>>
>>>> Obviously, I've checked the preferences menus and don't see an option
>>>> for that.  I wonder if there is a way to configure this
>>>> under-the-hood.
>>>>
>>>> An alternative, and less preferred solution, would be for me to
>>>> designate to which account imbalance transactions should be recorded.
>>>>
>>>> --wpd
>>> I don't believe there is an option to change this behavior, nor should
>>> there be one.
>>  I wholeheartedly disagree. The fact that a few or the majority of users prefer one behavior does not mean the others should be ignored. The preferences gives developers the option to have the cake and eat it too. Those who prefer the current behavior are free to ignore such an option, but those of us who prefer the behavior from several GnuCash versions ago could be accommodated with little trouble on anyone's part.
>>
>> John
>> _______________________________________________
>> gnucash-user mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>> -----
>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>>
>
>
> I would not use the word correct as an adjective when describing
> preferences.  All preferences should be correct.  The whole point of
> preferences would be to provide alternatives that are also correct.
>
> I have my own opinion about whether GnuCash should interrupt the user
> and force him to find a correct account to use for a balancing entry on
> the spot when he may be in a hurry to finish up before the football
> game, and I happen to like the current implementation.  If there are
> enough of you that liked the old way, and you make your opinions known,
> perhaps the developers will consider making something similar to that a
> preference.  There are some points, such as during a lengthy import, for
> example, when there may be as many as hundreds of exceptions to resolve,
> when that would become very unwieldy.
>
> David C
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

gnucash-user
In reply to this post by John Ralls-2
On Sun, 4 Jan 2015 16:26:30 -0800
John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is an old complaint:
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=164317
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=402289
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=548357
>
> There are a few more for making the imbalance accounts disappear when
> the account is fixed up.
>
> Anyone feel up to writing a patch?
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>

I'd love to. I've another enhancement or two that I'd really like to
see and helping out good old gnc would be most satisfying.

Unfortunately, my old brain doesn't understand modern OO (every method
calls another object to do the work, but does none itself) any more
than it ever understood COBOL (every paragraph calls another to do all
the work).

<grin>

Seriously, though. Is there "new developer documentation" somewhere? In
the past when I've looked, I've not found sufficient to help me--and the
code doesn't easily grok in my brain. No slight intended to the code;
someone else's code always takes time to understand. It's the overall
architecture, roles of the classes, etc. that I lack.

Anyone wanting to take me under their wing, feel free to PM me, or maybe
we move to the devel list.

Cheers.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

Derek Atkins
In reply to this post by John Morris
John,

John Morris <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Jan 4, 2015, at 10:01 AM, jcard21 xxxxxxx wrote:
>
>   I wholeheartedly disagree. The fact that a few or the majority of
> users prefer one behavior does not mean the others should be
> ignored. The preferences gives developers the option to have the cake
> and eat it too. Those who prefer the current behavior are free to
> ignore such an option, but those of us who prefer the behavior from
> several GnuCash versions ago could be accommodated with little trouble
> on anyone's part.

I would argue that it depends on the amount of work required to
implement and maintain both code branches.  Having more options means
more testing and debugging work for the developers, and if it's a
feature that 99% of the people don't use it really wont get well-tested.

It's not a question of ignoring "the others" (or the 1% in my made-up
statistics).  It's a cost/benefit analysis for the limited cycles the
developers have to do the work required.

The nice thing about open source is that anyone can help.  Patches are
always welcome (although not always accepted).  So someone who wants
this feature is certainly welcome to do the legwork to make it happen.

I don't think any of the developers have said "no, this is wrong"
(although I suppose I just came close to that a couple paragraphs ago).

Hope this helps,

> John

> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

-derek

PS: I sometimes get annoyed by the auto-imbalance feature and would
sometimes like the old behavior myself.

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

John Ralls-2
In reply to this post by gnucash-user

> On Jan 5, 2015, at 6:33 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> On Sun, 4 Jan 2015 16:26:30 -0800
> John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> This is an old complaint:
>> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=164317
>> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=402289
>> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=548357
>>
>> There are a few more for making the imbalance accounts disappear when
>> the account is fixed up.
>>
>> Anyone feel up to writing a patch?
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>> _______________________________________________
>> gnucash-user mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>> -----
>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>>
>
> I'd love to. I've another enhancement or two that I'd really like to
> see and helping out good old gnc would be most satisfying.
>
> Unfortunately, my old brain doesn't understand modern OO (every method
> calls another object to do the work, but does none itself) any more
> than it ever understood COBOL (every paragraph calls another to do all
> the work).
>
> <grin>
>
> Seriously, though. Is there "new developer documentation" somewhere? In
> the past when I've looked, I've not found sufficient to help me--and the
> code doesn't easily grok in my brain. No slight intended to the code;
> someone else's code always takes time to understand. It's the overall
> architecture, roles of the classes, etc. that I lack.
>
> Anyone wanting to take me under their wing, feel free to PM me, or maybe
> we move to the devel list.
>

The developer docs are at http://code.gnucash.org/docs/HEAD/.

It does take a long time to understand GnuCash's code. It's a big program, the layout isn't always obvious, and there's a lot of code in places one wouldn't expect to find it. Then there's the mix of C and Scheme and multiple namespaces (gnc-this and xaccThat in the same class). One thing there isn't a lot of is deferral: There are far too many functions more than 100 lines long.

Rather than PM the best place for real-time interaction is the irc channel: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/IRC. Take a look through the developer docs and come on by!

Regards,
John Ralls


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

gnucash-user
On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 07:17:39 -0800
John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >
> > Anyone wanting to take me under their wing, feel free to PM me, or
> > maybe we move to the devel list.
> >
>
> The developer docs are at http://code.gnucash.org/docs/HEAD/.
>
> It does take a long time to understand GnuCash's code. It's a big
> program, the layout isn't always obvious, and there's a lot of code
> in places one wouldn't expect to find it. Then there's the mix of C
> and Scheme and multiple namespaces (gnc-this and xaccThat in the same
> class). One thing there isn't a lot of is deferral: There are far too
> many functions more than 100 lines long.
>
> Rather than PM the best place for real-time interaction is the irc
> channel: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/IRC. Take a look through the
> developer docs and come on by!
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>

Roger that. IRC. Of course. Love it.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.