CSV Import

123

CSV Import

GnuCash - User mailing list
Just began using GnuCash for a local non-profit group. I tried importing transaction data from CSV file. It kept failing. The documentation doesn't describe proper file format or details about CSV import. I need to eliminate manual input of data as the non-profit has revenue from multiple sources.
I did an export and examined the file contents. I have multiple questions about format and meaning of the columns.
I have multiple rows for each transaction, showing multiple categories. There is a column called 'Type'. The values are 'T' and 'S'.

What is the 'Type' column and what is the meaning of the values?
What is the column 'Action' for and what values might it contain?

What are the meanings of the 'To With Sym', 'From With Sym', 'To Num', 'From Num' and 'To Rate' columns?

What rules determine what values are placed in these cells for importing data?
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank youSteve I

Re: CSV Import

Geert Janssens-4
On   Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user wrote:
> Just began using GnuCash for a local non-profit group. I tried importing
> transaction data from CSV file. It kept failing. The documentation doesn't
> describe proper file format or details about CSV import. I need to
> eliminate manual input of data as the non-profit has revenue from multiple
> sources. I did an export and examined the file contents. I have multiple
> questions about format and meaning of the columns. I have multiple rows for
> each transaction, showing multiple categories. There is a column called
> 'Type'. The values are 'T' and 'S'.

Hi Steve,

Let's start with the bad news: in gnucash 2.6 and earlier gnucash is unfortunately not capable of
importing its own export data.

The good news is this will be fixed in the next major release (2.8) currently tentatively planned
for somewhere near the end of this year.

> What is the 'Type' column and what is the meaning of the values?

The "Type" is there to make a distinction between lines with transaction ('T') related data (date,
num, description,..) and lines split ('S') related data in multi-row export. This will be handled
differently in the new version and hence the type column has been removed.

> What is the column 'Action' for and what values might it contain?

The 'Action' column is equivalent of the 'Action' field in every split in gnucash. In essence it's a
free field, but it's often used to store things like 'Buy', 'Sell',... for trading transactions.

> What are the meanings of the 'To With Sym', 'From With Sym', 'To Num', 'From
> Num' and 'To Rate' columns?

I *think* these columns are an attempt to define one two-split transaction on one line. "To With
Sym" and "From With Sym" stand for the amounts being transferred in that transaction but with
their currency/commodity symbol included.

I'm not really sure about 'To Num' or 'From Num'. 'To Rate' is an exchange rate/price in case it's
a transaction between two accounts in different currencies/commodities.

> What rules determine what values are placed in these cells for importing
> data? Your help is greatly appreciated.

As I said, the current CSV importer can't process such  a file. It will only allow you to set a very
limited number of fields, such as a date, transaction number, description, amount (in the form of
deposit or withdrawal) and the base account in which to import the transactions. This importer
had a very limited use case in mind: importing csv files from a bank, which usually don't contain
much more than this info.

The new importer will allow you to set many more fields and will be able to import directly from
files exported by gnucash.

Re: CSV Import

GnuCash - User mailing list
Thanks for the info on the output columns for an export. Is there any guidance on how to do an import on split transactions? For instance does the split amounts have to be imported separately? Perhaps an example from someone who was able to import.

I randomly scanned through some of the archives. Also, tried to do a search from the accounting info page using this link:
Or you can search the gnucash-user Archives. https://lists.gnucash.org/search/?idxinfo=gnucash-user

That results in a Not Found error for the search page.
Thanks again

#yiv7515208836 p, #yiv7515208836 li {white-space:pre-wrap;}On Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user wrote:> Just began using GnuCash for a local non-profit group. I tried importing> transaction data from CSV file. It kept failing. The documentation doesn't> describe proper file format or details about CSV import. I need to> eliminate manual input of data as the non-profit has revenue from multiple> sources. I did an export and examined the file contents. I have multiple> questions about format and meaning of the columns. I have multiple rows for> each transaction, showing multiple categories. There is a column called> 'Type'. The values are 'T' and 'S'.> Hi Steve, Let's start with the bad news: in gnucash 2.6 and earlier gnucash is unfortunately not capable of importing its own export data. The good news is this will be fixed in the next major release (2.8) currently tentatively planned for somewhere near the end of this year. > What is the 'Type' column and what is the meaning of the values? The "Type" is there to make a distinction between lines with transaction ('T') related data (date, num, description,..) and lines split ('S') related data in multi-row export. This will be handled differently in the new version and hence the type column has been removed. > What is the column 'Action' for and what values might it contain? The 'Action' column is equivalent of the 'Action' field in every split in gnucash. In essence it's a free field, but it's often used to store things like 'Buy', 'Sell',... for trading transactions.> > What are the meanings of the 'To With Sym', 'From With Sym', 'To Num', 'From> Num' and 'To Rate' columns? I *think* these columns are an attempt to define one two-split transaction on one line. "To With Sym" and "From With Sym" stand for the amounts being transferred in that transaction but with their currency/commodity symbol included. I'm not really sure about 'To Num' or 'From Num'. 'To Rate' is an exchange rate/price in case it's a transaction between two accounts in different currencies/commodities.> > What rules determine what values are placed in these cells for importing> data? Your help is greatly appreciated.> As I said, the current CSV importer can't process such a file. It will only allow you to set a very limited number of fields, such as a date, transaction number, description, amount (in the form of deposit or withdrawal) and the base account in which to import the transactions. This importer had a very limited use case in mind: importing csv files from a bank, which usually don't contain much more than this info. The new importer will allow you to set many more fields and will be able to import directly from files exported by gnucash. Regards, Geert

Re: CSV Import

Geert Janssens-4
(First reply didn't go to list, so resending)

On dinsdag 28 maart 2017 13:16:22 CEST you wrote:

Thanks for the info on the output columns for an export. Is there any guidance on how to do an
import on split transactions? For instance does the split amounts have to be imported
separately? Perhaps an example from someone who was able to import. I randomly scanned
through some of the archives. Also, tried to do a search from the accounting info page using this
link: Or you can search the gnucash-user Archives. https://lists.gnucash.org/search/?
idxinfo=gnucash-user That results in a Not Found error for the search page. Thanks again

As I said the csv import functionality in the 2.6 series is rather limited. It has no notion of split
transactions for csv data.

So there is no way to import (multi-)split transactions from csv in gnucash 2.6. It will only accept
data where each line describes a transaction but in e very limited way:
Each line should have
- a date
- a description
- an amount (be it deposit or withdrawal)

Based on this information it will use a bayesian match algorithm  to determine if the same
transaction was already in your gnucash or not.

On the last page of the importer it will show you its findings and allow you to correct. These
corrections include
* manually mark existing transactions as such if the bayesian match didn't detect it
* inversely, mark transactions as new if the bayesian match falsely believed it had found a
match
* for all transactions that weren't matched to existing transactions in gnucash you can complete
them (to a limited extent). That means for such transactions you can indicate a transfer
account. (The base account was specified earlier in the import process, either in your column
data or in a separate page).

That's about as much as the csv importer can do.

Limitations:
- if your import data holds a transfer account, it's completely ignored. You will be asked to
specify one in the last page (if the bayesian match didn't find a match).
- there is no way to import multi-split transactions. The import will always create two-split
transactions.

Lastly the search pages are indeed broken. The software that provided them has been
abandonded quite some time ago and doesn't work on the current server OS used to host the
lists. To search the archives you can make use of google's site search by entering something
like below in a google search field:
<my search> site:lists.gnucash.org
So for example
csv import site:lists.gnucash.org

Re: CSV Import

On donderdag 30 maart 2017 09:53:16 CEST Steve Isenberg wrote:

> Okay, when this is eventually updated, version 2.8 I believe you mentioned,
> and if you need help testing it let me know. I am very interested in the
> CSV import process and especially split-transactions so I am willing to
> assist if possible.
>

> Thanks again for the reply and information.
>

> Steve

You're welcome.

There are ways to test the unreleased csv importer already now as there are
several ways to install the current development version of gnucash.

**Warning** Always make a backup of your data file first before using a
development version of gnucash. It less well tested than the stable versions
and may contain known, unfixed bugs that can corrupt your data.

Having said that, here are a few options, depending on your comfort level:

On Windows you can simply download the nightly build from here:
http://code.gnucash.org/builds/win32/master/
and install it. This will replace a stable installation of gnucash, but you
should be able to install the stable version of the development version at any
time after you have finished testing.

If you're on Fedora, there is also a copr repository which updates nightly to
the most recent development snapshot. Contrary to the Windows installer I
would suggest to first uninstall your current gnucash and then install from
the copr repository.

Quick instructions
sudo dnf remove gnucash gnucash-docs
sudo dnf copr enable gjanssens/gnucash-master
sudo dnf install gnucash gnucash-docs

To return to the gnucash package from the distribution do
sudo dnf remove gnucash gnucash-docs
sudo dnf copr disable gjanssens/gnucash-master
sudo dnf install gnucash gnucash-docs

And lastly you could build the master branch of gnucash from scratch and test
the csv importer from there.

I'd love feedback this new importer. And the sooner I get this the more time I
may have to improve on it before the 2.8 release at the end of this year.

Re: CSV Import

GTI .H
Hi Geert,

Congratulations for your great work!   : )

I'm willing to test the new CSV importer.

I downloaded the last three versions available
(gnucash-2.6.99-2017-03-25-git-cd07876 + -setup;
gnucash-2.6.99-2017-03-29-git-b3eb9d0 + -setup and
gnucash-2.6.99-2017-03-27-git-2b777b9 + -setup) on the link you reported
and installed on my VM W10[14393] and all gave error.

All complained that icuuc57.dll and pthreadGC2.dll were missing, I found
pthreadGC2.dll on my 2.6.15 installation and icuuc57.dll on the internet,
copied it to the faulty installation and it still did not work.

Why does not it work?

Regards
GTI

> On donderdag 30 maart 2017 09:53:16 CEST Steve Isenberg wrote:
> > Okay, when this is eventually updated, version 2.8 I believe you
> mentioned,
> > and if you need help testing it let me know. I am very interested in the
> > CSV import process and especially split-transactions so I am willing to
> > assist if possible.
> >

> > Thanks again for the reply and information.
> >

> > Steve
>
> You're welcome.
>
> There are ways to test the unreleased csv importer already now as there are
> several ways to install the current development version of gnucash.
>
> **Warning** Always make a backup of your data file first before using a
> development version of gnucash. It less well tested than the stable
> versions
> and may contain known, unfixed bugs that can corrupt your data.
>
> Having said that, here are a few options, depending on your comfort level:
>
> On Windows you can simply download the nightly build from here:
> http://code.gnucash.org/builds/win32/master/
> and install it. This will replace a stable installation of gnucash, but you
> should be able to install the stable version of the development version at
> any
> time after you have finished testing.
>
> If you're on Fedora, there is also a copr repository which updates nightly
> the most recent development snapshot. Contrary to the Windows installer I
> would suggest to first uninstall your current gnucash and then install from
> the copr repository.
>
> Quick instructions
> sudo dnf remove gnucash gnucash-docs
> sudo dnf copr enable gjanssens/gnucash-master
> sudo dnf install gnucash gnucash-docs
>
> To return to the gnucash package from the distribution do
> sudo dnf remove gnucash gnucash-docs
> sudo dnf copr disable gjanssens/gnucash-master
> sudo dnf install gnucash gnucash-docs
>
> And lastly you could build the master branch of gnucash from scratch and
> test
> the csv importer from there.
>
> I'd love feedback this new importer. And the sooner I get this the more
> time I
> may have to improve on it before the 2.8 release at the end of this year.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

Re: CSV Import

If the current CSV import has a simple use case then why does it always error and never import?
The error screen is no help whatsoever in determining the error.
I created a CSV with columns as displayed on the transaction input screen. Does not work.
I stripped the CSV down to the columns described below. Does not work.
What columns are supposed to be in the CSV file?
What are the formats of each column?
This is an example of the data based on the columns mentioned below:
Date,Description,Income
1/1/2017,Garri Ann Hearn,18
1/1/2017,Garri Ann Hearn,11
1/1/2017,Pamela Healy,18
1/3/2017,Robert Marten,100
1/4/2017,john landi,7
The CSV import fails consistently without any real clue as to the problem. How is this data supposed to be formatted?
Searching the archives is not helpful. There are too many unrelated results in the archive. This is a straight-forward problem and if the CSV is simple then it should not be difficult to figure this out.
Appreciate the help.Steve

#yiv2776656852 p, #yiv2776656852 li {white-space:pre-wrap;}On dinsdag 28 maart 2017 13:16:22 CEST you wrote:
Thanks for the info on the output columns for an export. Is there any guidance on how to do an import on split transactions? For instance does the split amounts have to be imported separately? Perhaps an example from someone who was able to import. I randomly scanned through some of the archives. Also, tried to do a search from the accounting info page using this link: Or you can search the gnucash-user Archives. https://lists.gnucash.org/search/?idxinfo=gnucash-user That results in a Not Found error for the search page. Thanks again

Hi Steve, As I said the csv import functionality in the 2.6 series is rather limited. It has no notion of split transactions for csv data. So there is no way to import (multi-)split transactions from csv in gnucash 2.6. It will only accept data where each line describes a transaction but in e very limited way:Each line should have- a date- a description- an amount (be it deposit or withdrawal) Based on this information it will use a bayesian match algorithm to determine if the same transaction was already in your gnucash or not. On the last page of the importer it will show you its findings and allow you to correct. These corrections include* manually mark existing transactions as such if the bayesian match didn't detect it* inversely, mark transactions as new if the bayesian match falsely believed it had found a match* for all transactions that weren't matched to existing transactions in gnucash you can complete them (to a limited extent). That means for such transactions you can indicate a transfer account. (The base account was specified earlier in the import process, either in your column data or in a separate page). That's about as much as the csv importer can do. Limitations:- if your import data holds a transfer account, it's completely ignored. You will be asked to specify one in the last page (if the bayesian match didn't find a match).- there is no way to import multi-split transactions. The import will always create two-split transactions. Lastly the search pages are indeed broken. The software that provided them has been abandonded quite some time ago and doesn't work on the current server OS used to host the lists. To search the archives you can make use of google's site search by entering something like below in a google search field:<my search> site:lists.gnucash.orgSo for examplecsv import site:lists.gnucash.org Regards, Geert

Re: CSV Import

Geert Janssens-4
On vrijdag 31 maart 2017 22:24:20 CEST Steve Isenberg wrote:

> If the current CSV import has a simple use case then why does it always
> error and never import? The error screen is no help whatsoever in
> determining the error.
> I created a CSV with columns as displayed on the transaction input screen.
> Does not work. I stripped the CSV down to the columns described below. Does
> not work. What columns are supposed to be in the CSV file?
> What are the formats of each column?
> This is an example of the data based on the columns mentioned below:
> Date,Description,Income
> 1/1/2017,Garri Ann Hearn,18
> 1/1/2017,Garri Ann Hearn,11
> 1/1/2017,Pamela Healy,18
> 1/3/2017,Robert Marten,100
> 1/4/2017,john landi,7
> The CSV import fails consistently without any real clue as to the problem.
> How is this data supposed to be formatted? Searching the archives is not
> helpful. There are too many unrelated results in the archive. This is a
> straight-forward problem and if the CSV is simple then it should not be
> difficult to figure this out. Appreciate the help.Steve

Hi Steve,

I have just tried your sample data and got to the last page of the importer
with no issues (the page where you can assign accounts to each of the
transactions). My first attempt failed because I didn't select the proper date
format. Setting it to "d-m-y" got me through with no problems.

At which point does it fail for you and how ?

Re: CSV Import

On vrijdag 31 maart 2017 05:58:02 CEST GT-I9070 H wrote:

> Hi Geert,
>
> Congratulations for your great work!   : )
>
> I'm willing to test the new CSV importer.
>
> I downloaded the last three versions available
> (gnucash-2.6.99-2017-03-25-git-cd07876 + -setup;
> gnucash-2.6.99-2017-03-29-git-b3eb9d0 + -setup and
> gnucash-2.6.99-2017-03-27-git-2b777b9 + -setup) on the link you reported
> and installed on my VM W10[14393] and all gave error.
>
> All complained that icuuc57.dll and pthreadGC2.dll were missing, I found
> pthreadGC2.dll on my 2.6.15 installation and icuuc57.dll on the internet,
> copied it to the faulty installation and it still did not work.
>
> Why does not it work?

Unfortunately you hit the issue which also impacted our 2.6.16 release. The
underlying mingw system had updated dependencies while some of our self
compiled  components still relied on the now missing pthreadGC2.dll.

icu is a new dependency in the unstable series and apparently isn't packaged
yet in the gnucash installer.

So alas, for now the windows nightly is broken. I won't have time until next
week to get this fixed. Perhaps someone else can. If not I'll see what's
needed when I'm back.

Re: CSV Import

GTI .H
Ok, Alright Geert!

I think I can live another week without the new importer  : )
Please let us know when this is fixed.

Thanks
GTI

> On vrijdag 31 maart 2017 05:58:02 CEST GT-I9070 H wrote:
> > Hi Geert,
> >
> > Congratulations for your great work!   : )
> >
> > I'm willing to test the new CSV importer.
> >
> > I downloaded the last three versions available
> > (gnucash-2.6.99-2017-03-25-git-cd07876 + -setup;
> > gnucash-2.6.99-2017-03-29-git-b3eb9d0 + -setup and
> > gnucash-2.6.99-2017-03-27-git-2b777b9 + -setup) on the link you reported
> > and installed on my VM W10[14393] and all gave error.
> >
> > All complained that icuuc57.dll and pthreadGC2.dll were missing, I found
> > pthreadGC2.dll on my 2.6.15 installation and icuuc57.dll on the internet,
> > copied it to the faulty installation and it still did not work.
> >
> > Why does not it work?
> >
> Unfortunately you hit the issue which also impacted our 2.6.16 release. The
> underlying mingw system had updated dependencies while some of our self
> compiled  components still relied on the now missing pthreadGC2.dll.
>
> icu is a new dependency in the unstable series and apparently isn't
> packaged
> yet in the gnucash installer.
>
> So alas, for now the windows nightly is broken. I won't have time until
> next
> week to get this fixed. Perhaps someone else can. If not I'll see what's
> needed when I'm back.
>
> Geert

Re: CSV Import

No way, there is no way the CSV import works!

To start I removed the header row as it wasn't really needed.

The original date format was the typical US, m/d/yyyy. I changed it to d-m-yyyy, replacing the forward slash with a hyphen. It failed.

I changed the date to yyyy-m-d, and it failed.

This is the test data that I tried to import:

    2017-2-1,Pamela H,18
    2017-2-1,John L,18

Preview Settings (screen)
Start import on row 1 and stop on row 2
Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)
Data type: separated
Separators: comma
Date Format: y-m-d
Currency Format: locale
Step over Account Page if Setup: checked

Click the Forward button

Account Selection (screen)

ERROR:
There are problems with the import settings!
The date format could be wrong or there are not enough columns set...

Every time, it fails at the same place and with the same message, every-single-time.

I am running Windows 7.

I don't want to do data entry as I have data from multiple sources that I want to import.

What columns are supposed to be in the CSV file?
What are the formats of each column?
I need a work around or a fix to move forward.
Thanks
On vrijdag 31 maart 2017 22:24:20 CEST Steve Isenberg wrote:

> If the current CSV import has a simple use case then why does it always
> error and never import? The error screen is no help whatsoever in
> determining the error.
> I created a CSV with columns as displayed on the transaction input screen.
> Does not work. I stripped the CSV down to the columns described below. Does
> not work. What columns are supposed to be in the CSV file?
> What are the formats of each column?
> This is an example of the data based on the columns mentioned below:
> Date,Description,Income
> 1/1/2017,Garri Ann Hearn,18
> 1/1/2017,Garri Ann Hearn,11
> 1/1/2017,Pamela Healy,18
> 1/3/2017,Robert Marten,100
> 1/4/2017,john landi,7
> The CSV import fails consistently without any real clue as to the problem.
> How is this data supposed to be formatted? Searching the archives is not
> helpful. There are too many unrelated results in the archive. This is a
> straight-forward problem and if the CSV is simple then it should not be
> difficult to figure this out. Appreciate the help.Steve

Hi Steve,

I have just tried your sample data and got to the last page of the importer
with no issues (the page where you can assign accounts to each of the
transactions). My first attempt failed because I didn't select the proper date
format. Setting it to "d-m-y" got me through with no problems.

At which point does it fail for you and how ?

Re: CSV Import

GTI .H
Hi Steve,

Why do not you try to use XLSM2QIF?

Https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Published_tools

You can import your CSV data into XLSM2QIF, work the data as you want with
the power of MS Excel and export to QIF and then do a QIF import into
GnuCash.

XLSM2QIF has a powerful QIF exporter and the QIF importer of GNUCash works
well.

That would solve your problem now.

Good luck!
GTI

[hidden email]>:

> No way, there is no way the CSV import works!
>
> To start I removed the header row as it wasn't really needed.
>
> The original date format was the typical US, m/d/yyyy. I changed it to
> d-m-yyyy, replacing the forward slash with a hyphen. It failed.
>
> I changed the date to yyyy-m-d, and it failed.
>
> This is the test data that I tried to import:
>
>     2017-2-1,Pamela H,18
>     2017-2-1,John L,18
>
> Preview Settings (screen)
> Start import on row 1 and stop on row 2
> Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)
> Data type: separated
> Separators: comma
> Date Format: y-m-d
> Currency Format: locale
> Step over Account Page if Setup: checked
>
> Click the Forward button
>
> Account Selection (screen)
>
> ERROR:
> There are problems with the import settings!
> The date format could be wrong or there are not enough columns set...
>
> Every time, it fails at the same place and with the same message,
> every-single-time.
>
> I am running Windows 7.
>
> I don't want to do data entry as I have data from multiple sources that I
> want to import.
>
> What columns are supposed to be in the CSV file?
> What are the formats of each column?
> I need a work around or a fix to move forward.
> Thanks

Re: CSV Import

The date format was just a distraction indeed. Silly of me to not recognise the standard US format...

The only difference between our setups is the OS. So maybe the line endings are tripping up the importer. Try adding one more empty column which you don't import.

Steve Isenberg <[hidden email]> schreef op 2 april 2017 02:50:54 CEST:

>No way, there is no way the CSV import works!
>
>To start I removed the header row as it wasn't really needed.
>
>The original date format was the typical US, m/d/yyyy. I changed it to
>d-m-yyyy, replacing the forward slash with a hyphen. It failed.
>
>I changed the date to yyyy-m-d, and it failed.
>
>This is the test data that I tried to import:
>
>    2017-2-1,Pamela H,18
>    2017-2-1,John L,18
>
>Preview Settings (screen)
>Start import on row 1 and stop on row 2
>Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)
>Data type: separated
>Separators: comma
>Date Format: y-m-d
>Currency Format: locale
>Step over Account Page if Setup: checked
>
>Click the Forward button
>
>Account Selection (screen)
>
>ERROR:
>There are problems with the import settings!
>The date format could be wrong or there are not enough columns set...
>
>Every time, it fails at the same place and with the same message,
>every-single-time.
>
>I am running Windows 7.
>
>I don't want to do data entry as I have data from multiple sources that
>I want to import.
>
>What columns are supposed to be in the CSV file?
>What are the formats of each column?
>I need a work around or a fix to move forward.
>Thanks

Sent from my smartphone. Please excuse my brevity.

Re: CSV Import

This may be asking the blindingly obvious but did you set the column
headings correctly? You don't mention them in your list of actions. This
might answer your query about the column formats?

Nigel

ps hope this is the correct way to post reply!

On 2 Apr 2017 01:55, "Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

No way, there is no way the CSV import works!

To start I removed the header row as it wasn't really needed.

The original date format was the typical US, m/d/yyyy. I changed it to
d-m-yyyy, replacing the forward slash with a hyphen. It failed.

I changed the date to yyyy-m-d, and it failed.

This is the test data that I tried to import:

    2017-2-1,Pamela H,18
    2017-2-1,John L,18

Preview Settings (screen)
Start import on row 1 and stop on row 2
Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)
Data type: separated
Separators: comma
Date Format: y-m-d
Currency Format: locale
Step over Account Page if Setup: checked

Click the Forward button

Account Selection (screen)

ERROR:
There are problems with the import settings!
The date format could be wrong or there are not enough columns set...

Every time, it fails at the same place and with the same message,
every-single-time.

I am running Windows 7.

I don't want to do data entry as I have data from multiple sources that I
want to import.

What columns are supposed to be in the CSV file?
What are the formats of each column?
I need a work around or a fix to move forward.
Thanks
On vrijdag 31 maart 2017 22:24:20 CEST Steve Isenberg wrote:
> If the current CSV import has a simple use case then why does it always
> error and never import? The error screen is no help whatsoever in
> determining the error.
> I created a CSV with columns as displayed on the transaction input screen.
> Does not work. I stripped the CSV down to the columns described below.
Does

> not work. What columns are supposed to be in the CSV file?
> What are the formats of each column?
> This is an example of the data based on the columns mentioned below:
> Date,Description,Income
> 1/1/2017,Garri Ann Hearn,18
> 1/1/2017,Garri Ann Hearn,11
> 1/1/2017,Pamela Healy,18
> 1/3/2017,Robert Marten,100
> 1/4/2017,john landi,7
> The CSV import fails consistently without any real clue as to the problem.
> How is this data supposed to be formatted? Searching the archives is not
> helpful. There are too many unrelated results in the archive. This is a
> straight-forward problem and if the CSV is simple then it should not be
> difficult to figure this out. Appreciate the help.Steve

Hi Steve,

I have just tried your sample data and got to the last page of the importer
with no issues (the page where you can assign accounts to each of the
transactions). My first attempt failed because I didn't select the proper
date
format. Setting it to "d-m-y" got me through with no problems.

At which point does it fail for you and how ?

Re: CSV Import

Nigel Stapley

[hidden email]> wrote:

> No way, there is no way the CSV import works!
>
> To start I removed the header row as it wasn't really needed.
>
> The original date format was the typical US, m/d/yyyy. I changed it to
> d-m-yyyy, replacing the forward slash with a hyphen. It failed.
>
> I changed the date to yyyy-m-d, and it failed.
>
> This is the test data that I tried to import:
>
>     2017-2-1,Pamela H,18
>     2017-2-1,John L,18
>
> Preview Settings (screen)
> Start import on row 1 and stop on row 2
> Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)
> Data type: separated
> Separators: comma
> Date Format: y-m-d
> Currency Format: locale
> Step over Account Page if Setup: checked
>
> Click the Forward button
>
> Account Selection (screen)
>
> ERROR:
> There are problems with the import settings!
> The date format could be wrong or there are not enough columns set...
>
> Every time, it fails at the same place and with the same message,
> every-single-time.
>
> I am running Windows 7.
>
> I don't want to do data entry as I have data from multiple sources that I
> want to import.
>
> What columns are supposed to be in the CSV file?
> What are the formats of each column?
> I need a work around or a fix to move forward.
> Thanks

Re: CSV Import

Gerald
Geert:

I am running Fedora 4.9,14-200.fc25.i686+PAE on an HP 8200 Compaq Elite
Desktop PC.  I have been trying to Upgrade my gnucash 2.6.25 to the
latest version 2.6.16 without success.
I ran the Quick Instructions from your post and got the 2.6.99 nightly
update to load properly and it appeared to work.  I did not want to
continue using it so I ran the steps to return to the gnucash package
from the distribution and got the original 2.6.15 to install.

How can I upgrade to 2.6.16?

On Thu, 2017-03-30 at 13:44 +0200, Geert Janssens wrote:

> On donderdag 30 maart 2017 09:53:16 CEST Steve Isenberg wrote:
> > Okay, when this is eventually updated, version 2.8 I believe you
> > mentioned,
> > and if you need help testing it let me know. I am very interested
> > in the
> > CSV import process and especially split-transactions so I am
> > willing to
> > assist if possible.
> >

> > Thanks again for the reply and information.
> >

> > Steveunreleased csv importer already now as there are
>
> several ways to install the current development version of gnucash.
>
> **Warning** Always make a backup of your data file first before using
> development version of gnucash. It less well tested than the stable
> versions
> and may contain known, unfixed bugs that can corrupt your data.
>
> Having said that, here are a few options, depending on your comfort
> level:
>
> On Windows you can simply download the nightly build from here:
> http://code.gnucash.org/builds/win32/master/
> and install it. This will replace a stable installation of gnucash,
> but you
> should be able to install the stable version of the development
> version at any
> time after you have finished testing.
>
> If you're on Fedora, there is also a copr repository which updates
> nightly to
> the most recent development snapshot. Contrary to the Windows
> installer I
> would suggest to first uninstall your current gnucash and then
> install from
> the copr repository.
>
> Quick instructions
> sudo dnf remove gnucash gnucash-docs
> sudo dnf copr enable gjanssens/gnucash-master
> sudo dnf install gnucash gnucash-docs
>
> To return to the gnucash package from the distribution do
> sudo dnf remove gnucash gnucash-docs
> sudo dnf copr disable gjanssens/gnucash-master
> sudo dnf install gnucash gnucash-docs
>
> And lastly you could build the master branch of gnucash from scratch
> and test
> the csv importer from there.
>
> I'd love feedback this new importer. And the sooner I get this the
> more time I
> may have to improve on it before the 2.8 release at the end of this
> year.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert
Liz

Re: CSV Import

Liz
On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 23:18:11 -0500
Gerald Ellis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am running Fedora 4.9,14-200.fc25.i686+PAE on an HP 8200 Compaq
> Elite Desktop PC.  I have been trying to Upgrade my gnucash 2.6.25 to
> the latest version 2.6.16 without success.
> I ran the Quick Instructions from your post and got the 2.6.99 nightly
> update to load properly and it appeared to work.  I did not want to
> continue using it so I ran the steps to return to the gnucash package
> from the distribution and got the original 2.6.15 to install.
>
> How can I upgrade to 2.6.16?

Can I check some details???
You have Gnucash 2.6.25 now?
You want Gnucash 2.6.16?

Liz

Re: CSV Import

Gerald
Liz:

Sorry - Typo error. I have 2.6.15 and want 2.6.16.

Gerald

On Mon, 2017-04-03 at 20:15 +1000, Liz wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 23:18:11 -0500
> Gerald Ellis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I am running Fedora 4.9,14-200.fc25.i686+PAE on an HP 8200 Compaq
> > Elite Desktop PC.  I have been trying to Upgrade my gnucash 2.6.25
> > the latest version 2.6.16 without success.
> > I ran the Quick Instructions from your post and got the 2.6.99
> > nightly
> > update to load properly and it appeared to work.  I did not want to
> > continue using it so I ran the steps to return to the gnucash
> > package
> > from the distribution and got the original 2.6.15 to install.
> >
> > How can I upgrade to 2.6.16?
>

> Can I check some details???
> You have Gnucash 2.6.25 now?
> You want Gnucash 2.6.16?
>
> Liz

Re: CSV Import

I removed the carriage return from the end of the line and left only the line feed. That did not help. Also, tried adding an extra column before the line feed and that did not help either. Thought your suggestion of the CR and LF in the windows file might be a solution but removing the CR did not help.
Unless there is another trick or work around I'm inclined to say the Windows CSV import is non-functional.

It was suggested I try using the Excel macro to convert to QIF. Once I get caught up I will see if that works. Also, once caught up I will help test the split-transaction import, but need to keep moving.
Thanks

On vrijdag 31 maart 2017 22:24:20 CEST Steve Isenberg wrote:

> If the current CSV import has a simple use case then why does it always
> error and never import? The error screen is no help whatsoever in
> determining the error.
> I created a CSV with columns as displayed on the transaction input screen.
> Does not work. I stripped the CSV down to the columns described below. Does
> not work. What columns are supposed to be in the CSV file?
> What are the formats of each column?
> This is an example of the data based on the columns mentioned below:
> Date,Description,Income
> 1/1/2017,Garri Ann Hearn,18
> 1/1/2017,Garri Ann Hearn,11
> 1/1/2017,Pamela Healy,18
> 1/3/2017,Robert Marten,100
> 1/4/2017,john landi,7
> The CSV import fails consistently without any real clue as to the problem.
> How is this data supposed to be formatted? Searching the archives is not
> helpful. There are too many unrelated results in the archive. This is a
> straight-forward problem and if the CSV is simple then it should not be
> difficult to figure this out. Appreciate the help.Steve

Hi Steve,

I have just tried your sample data and got to the last page of the importer
with no issues (the page where you can assign accounts to each of the
transactions). My first attempt failed because I didn't select the proper date
format. Setting it to "d-m-y" got me through with no problems.

At which point does it fail for you and how ?

Sent from my smartphone. Please excuse my brevity.

Re: CSV Import

For the stable release it's best to wait until it hits the official updates repository. Bill Nottingham is usually not far behind the official releases.

Geert