CNUCash Setup

thecat131
If this is inappropriate, please delete.

Can anyone suggest someone to help migrate my books from MYOB Business
Basics (Windows XP) to GNUCash (Mavericks 10.9.5)? I'm an Australian based
small business.

Thanks in advance
Cathy
GNUCash V2.4.6
Mac OS X 10.5.8

Re: CNUCash Setup

sunfish62
Cathy,

Your request is not inappropriate. This is the right spot to ask. Welcome!

I have not used MYOB, and cannot advise you fully, but I can point you in directions to explore.

Your first option would be to keep your older data in MYOB, but start fresh in GC. This entails the least transitional disruption, but leaves historical data n the older format, making long term reporting difficult. In this scenario, you would close your MYOB books as of some date, and then use the account values of that date to start your books in GnuCash. This is a manual process, but involves only a relatively few number of transactions to enter.

If you still want to migrate your historical data, you need to get that data out of MYOB and then get it into a format that GnuCash can import. GnuCash has numerous import formats available. I see that MYOB appears to offer a comma-separated (CSV) export option. I do not know what that CSV will contain (and the devil in this case really is in the details!), and thus cannot tell you what results you will get.

It may be useful for you to take the CSV output from MYOB, and edit the results to improve import.

It may also be useful to locate one of various tools that are available for converting CSV (or by extension, spreadsheet) data into the Quicken Interchange Format (QIF), as QIF handles accounting data beeter, and GnuCash has a more robust QIF importer.

Regardless of the approach you take, plan on repeating the process several times (make staged backups as you go, so you can roll back as needed!) until you achieve the result you are seeking. I know when I migrated from Quicken many years ago, I tried many times before I got a result I could live with. But once it was done, I have not looked back.

I expect others will be able to provide you with more detailed information on this process (e.g., people who have migrated from MYOB), but I thought I’d give you an overview.

David

> On Jul 30, 2015, at 8:05 AM, thecat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If this is inappropriate, please delete.
>
> Can anyone suggest someone to help migrate my books from MYOB Business
> Basics (Windows XP) to GNUCash (Mavericks 10.9.5)? I'm an Australian based
> small business.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Cathy

Re: CNUCash Setup

Wm...
Thu, 30 Jul 2015 20:05:58
<CAAzU=x-EcQ_2a=ZCN=cGZfrbVx+_y9+GBTa3j3AXtWdUCGfL=[hidden email]>
thecat <[hidden email]> wrote...

>If this is inappropriate, please delete.
>
>Can anyone suggest someone to help migrate my books from MYOB Business
>Basics (Windows XP) to GNUCash (Mavericks 10.9.5)? I'm an Australian based
>small business.

AFAIK MYOB isn't actually accounting software whereas gnc definitely is.

The transition might be quite involved not just from a data POV (See
what DavidT said) but from a conceptual POV too.

gnc is NOT a budget allocation prog.

--
Wm...

Re: GNUCash Setup

Plutocrat
thecat wrote on Thursday, 30 July, 2015 08:05 PM:
> Can anyone suggest someone to help migrate my books from MYOB Business
> Basics (Windows XP) to GNUCash (Mavericks 10.9.5)? I'm an Australian based
> small business.

I'm not sure that there is an obvious migration path, but when I moved my small business from Quicken, I basically entered the previous year's worth of data into GnuCash by hand. It was laborious, but it took me a couple of days max, and I learnt a lot about GnuCash as I went. (Hint: you'll make lots of mistakes, so get used to rolling back to the last good backup).

After I had data in both systems for the previous financial year, I ran reports to satisfy myself that they both agreed. After that I entered all transactions into both systems for a month or two, before leaving Quicken in an XP Virtual Machine for future reference, and moving full time onto GnuCash.

I don't think there is a quick way of doing it, but for me the journey is part of the learning process.

P.
Liz

Re: CNUCash Setup

Liz
On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 21:55:37 +0100
"Wm..." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> AFAIK MYOB isn't actually accounting software whereas gnc definitely
> is.
>
> The transition might be quite involved not just from a data POV (See
> what DavidT said) but from a conceptual POV too.
>
> gnc is NOT a budget allocation prog.

MYOB is full accounting software.
Liz

Re: GNUCash Setup

Mike or Penny Novack-2

Can anyone suggest someone to help migrate my books from MYOB Business
Basics (Windows XP) to GNUCash (Mavericks 10.9.5)? I'm an Australian based
small business.

> I'm not sure that there is an obvious migration path, but when I moved my small business from Quicken, I basically entered the previous year's worth of data into GnuCash by hand. It was laborious, but it took me a couple of days max, and I learnt a lot about GnuCash as I went. (Hint: you'll make lots of mistakes, so get used to rolling back to the last good backup).
>
> After I had data in both systems for the previous financial year, I ran reports to satisfy myself that they both agreed. After that I entered all transactions into both systems for a month or two, before leaving Quicken in an XP Virtual Machine for future reference, and moving full time onto GnuCash.
>
> I don't think there is a quick way of doing it, but for me the journey is part of the learning process.
>
> P. _____________________________________________

That is a good description of how I did it so as to be able to TEST the
process.

But in terms of the actual move, not that hard. Not that hard assuming
you could still use the old software to reproduce OLD data and reports.
Not that hard if doing the migration as of the start of the accounting
cycle (after a "close the books"). At this point the only data to be
migrated is all of the STANDING accounts (assets, liabilities, equity).
For some of those you would need only the balance at the start of the
new period. Technically, for all of them, but for convenience you would
probably want more history for fixed assets with depreciation history,
long running liabilities, etc.

Michael D Novack

Re: GNUCash Setup

Dorel Ciornei
I had the same experience as Plutocrat when I migrated to GNU Cash.The difference was that I imported from Quicken about 3 years of data. Then it took me maybe a week or more to 'fix' little things here and there until the final balances matched what I had in Quicken.
Then, I too used both programs for a few months... a pain to be sure, but safer than jumping head down into unknown.I ended up using Quicken then just for the "Transaction Remainder" part, while all the records were kept in GNU Cash.
Finally now I have a month or two since I have not turned on the Quicken at all.
In fact I will uninstall it soon... but we must do something about the reminder and bill paying in GNU Cash soon.
Heck... I would be willing to pay for someone to make the changes, if it was affordable.:-)

     On Friday, July 31, 2015 7:25 AM, Mike or Penny Novack <[hidden email]> wrote:

Can anyone suggest someone to help migrate my books from MYOB Business
Basics (Windows XP) to GNUCash (Mavericks 10.9.5)? I'm an Australian based
small business.

> I'm not sure that there is an obvious migration path, but when I moved my small business from Quicken, I basically entered the previous year's worth of data into GnuCash by hand. It was laborious, but it took me a couple of days max, and I learnt a lot about GnuCash as I went. (Hint: you'll make lots of mistakes, so get used to rolling back to the last good backup).
>
> After I had data in both systems for the previous financial year, I ran reports to satisfy myself that they both agreed. After that I entered all transactions into both systems for a month or two, before leaving Quicken in an XP Virtual Machine for future reference, and moving full time onto GnuCash.
>
> I don't think there is a quick way of doing it, but for me the journey is part of the learning process.
>
> P. _____________________________________________

That is a good description of how I did it so as to be able to TEST the
process.

But in terms of the actual move, not that hard. Not that hard assuming
you could still use the old software to reproduce OLD data and reports.
Not that hard if doing the migration as of the start of the accounting
cycle (after a "close the books"). At this point the only data to be
migrated is all of the STANDING accounts (assets, liabilities, equity).
For some of those you would need only the balance at the start of the
new period. Technically, for all of them, but for convenience you would
probably want more history for fixed assets with depreciation history,
long running liabilities, etc.

Michael D Novack

Re: CNUCash Setup

Hi Cathy,

I migrated from MYOB (Accounting Plus) some years ago and followed a
process similar to what David T has suggested. I duplicated about  a
months data until I had identified the corresponding processes in
GnuCash to those I used in MYOB.

MYOB is generally a lot more customised for the particular jurisdiction
it is being used in (e.g. PAYG tables for Australian Tax system (
payroll - not in Business basics anyway),GST and BAS treatment). GnuCash
can treat GST but you need to set up the tax tables for this.

(see
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2013-August/050315.html
  and
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Tax_Handling:_Goods_and_Service_Tax_.28GST.29_or_Value_Added_Tax_.28VAT.29
for some details/ideas on how to do this)

One major difference is with regard to closing books. MYOB is generally
designed to use a new file for each financial year (although I did use
it over a multi-year period without closing the books and as long as I
set the dates for reports it gave me sensible results). In GnuCash, the
reports define the accounting period dates so it is possible to keep the
books in a single file for multiple years.  In GnuCash closing the books
is a soft process involving transferring the balances from the temporary
income and expense files for the accounting period to the equity files
and does not require the creation of a new file for the next period. My
memory of MYOB was that the annual closure of books required the
creation of a new file with the transfer of the permanent account
balances from the old file to the new file although this may have
changed in more recent versions.

Depending on your own reporting requirements (external and internal for
your business) you can do this weekly, monthly, quarterly semi-annually
and or annually or not at all and simply generate the reports for the
periods you require. See
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/tool-close-book.html for
details of the GnuCash process).

The MYOB processes are broadly described at the following link although
the payroll sections will not apply to Business Basics.

The other major differences are probably in the initiation and entering
of transaction. MYOB uses the Spend Money and Receive Money and Journal
Entries for initiating transactions.  Gnucash
(http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/help.html) uses the
Business Menu items
(http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/chapter_busnss.html)
for invoicing and billing and cash transactions can normally be handled
from the account registers (see
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/ch_Common_Trans_Ops.html) with
the splits in GnuCash parlance handling the double entry requirements.

It is probably a good idea to consult your accountant about End of Year
closure and dealing with tax liabilities depending upon your business
structure ( sole-trader, partnership, company, and any trust arrangements).