Building 2.6.19 on Ubuntu Xenial

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Building 2.6.19 on Ubuntu Xenial

Adrien Monteleone
I’m setting up an Ubuntu Xenial machine for a family member and I’d like to put Gnucash on it. The Xenial repos are dated to 2.6.12, a bit too stale.

I’d like to put 2.6.19 on it, but the instructions on the wiki are for 2.8(3.0) and I don’t know if these are still valid for the 2.6 series.

Will that procedure also work for 2.6.19? (and which is better to use Autotools or CMake?) I won’t be using the build tools for anything else, save maybe an update to 3.0 when it is released. (or more likely not until 3.1 or so) I’d like to set him up with an sqlite backend if that makes a difference. (I see a note on the wiki about Autotools being for the XML backend)

Should I use the Trusty instructions instead?

The last time I built a stable version was Precise, anything I built recently was the 2.7 branch.

Or is there a better way to obtain the most up-to-date version for Xenial? (GetDeb only has 2.6.17 as of today)

Thanks for any tips and advice.
 
Regards,
Adrien

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Building 2.6.19 on Ubuntu Xenial

David Carlson-4
Adrien,

I found Release 2.6.17 backported to Ubuntu 16.04 (and 17.04). in the
Getdeb repo.  That was good enough for me.

David C

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 5:49 PM, Adrien Monteleone <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m setting up an Ubuntu Xenial machine for a family member and I’d like
> to put Gnucash on it. The Xenial repos are dated to 2.6.12, a bit too stale.
>
> I’d like to put 2.6.19 on it, but the instructions on the wiki are for
> 2.8(3.0) and I don’t know if these are still valid for the 2.6 series.
>
> Will that procedure also work for 2.6.19? (and which is better to use
> Autotools or CMake?) I won’t be using the build tools for anything else,
> save maybe an update to 3.0 when it is released. (or more likely not until
> 3.1 or so) I’d like to set him up with an sqlite backend if that makes a
> difference. (I see a note on the wiki about Autotools being for the XML
> backend)
>
> Should I use the Trusty instructions instead?
>
> The last time I built a stable version was Precise, anything I built
> recently was the 2.7 branch.
>
> Or is there a better way to obtain the most up-to-date version for Xenial?
> (GetDeb only has 2.6.17 as of today)
>
> Thanks for any tips and advice.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Building 2.6.19 on Ubuntu Xenial

David Cousens
In reply to this post by Adrien Monteleone
Hi Adrien,

See this page (https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Ubuntu) from the website for
installing on Ubuntu. There is also a link at the bottom of the page for
building Gnucash on Ubuntu (https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building#Ubuntu)
but as you observed it has the dependency list for 2.8.

There is usually a README.dependencies in the source code which will give
you the library versions needed for 2.6.19 and th optional dependencies for
sqlite. The gcc compiler will generally tell you if any packages are
missing. The versions are generally >= the specified version but going to
next major releases can be problematical in some cases (gtk a case in point
as 2.6 is GTK2 based and 2.8 is GTK3 based).

I usually use the autotools as I am more familiar with that, but did use
CMake to build 2.6.18 without any problems. Main thing to remember is to
specify the prefix to either make or CMake for the installation directory. I
think the default for prefix for ./configure  is /usr/local/bin/gnucash (
this is where ubuntu places the version available within their distribution
- only disadvantage is that the distro version would intsall over the top of
it) and you will need to use sudo make install to install it for all users
in that location.

(/opt/gnucash is often used for installation if you have a development
version running in addition to a production/distro version - note both will
use same .gnucash in your home directory which might cause some minor
problems).

I'm starting to use Virtual Machines for building and development to avoid
conflicts and confusion between library requirements for different packages
i.e. I am setting up a VM for 2.6 builds and another for 2.8 builds as well
as for other applications I play with. Early days and I'm still sorting out
networking  between the VMs and my host to simplify file transfers.

David



-----
David Cousens
--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
David Cousens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Building 2.6.19 on Ubuntu Xenial

David Cousens
In reply to this post by David Carlson-4
Just an additional comment Adrien,

./configure usually checks all the dependencies. First time I compiled
gnucash from sources I just reran ./configure installing any packages it
flagged as missing. i've just recompiled 2.6.19 on Linux Mint 18.3 (Ubuntu
16.04 derivative updated to Linux kernel version 4.13.0-36) without any
hassles and it's working fine.

David



-----
David Cousens
--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
David Cousens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Building 2.6.19 on Ubuntu Xenial

Colin Law
In reply to this post by Adrien Monteleone
On 26 February 2018 at 23:49, Adrien Monteleone
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I’m setting up an Ubuntu Xenial machine for a family member and I’d like to put Gnucash on it. The Xenial repos are dated to 2.6.12, a bit too stale.

The next LTS (18.04) will be out in a few weeks and is available for
download as a daily build, you might consider using that, otherwise
the system will be 2 years out of date almost immediately.  I don't
know what version of GC is on that at the moment, but it will be at
least 2.6.17 as that is what is on 17.10.

Colin
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Building 2.6.19 on Ubuntu Xenial

Adrien Monteleone
Thanks Colin,

Unfortunately, I’m giving him the system this weekend, so 18.04 is out. He’s been using Ubuntu since 10.04, Unity was enough of an adjustment and he’s been using it for 6 years. I’m not sure he’ll take to a more standard Gnome well. I was going to let him ride out Xenial till EOL and then decide what to do then.

I was preferring 2.6.19 over .17 but it might not make a difference if I’m going to bump him via a build to 3.0/3.1 anyway.

Regards,
Adrien

> On Feb 27, 2018, at 3:04 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 26 February 2018 at 23:49, Adrien Monteleone
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I’m setting up an Ubuntu Xenial machine for a family member and I’d like to put Gnucash on it. The Xenial repos are dated to 2.6.12, a bit too stale.
>
> The next LTS (18.04) will be out in a few weeks and is available for
> download as a daily build, you might consider using that, otherwise
> the system will be 2 years out of date almost immediately.  I don't
> know what version of GC is on that at the moment, but it will be at
> least 2.6.17 as that is what is on 17.10.
>
> Colin

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Building 2.6.19 on Ubuntu Xenial

Adrien Monteleone
In reply to this post by David Cousens
Thanks Dave,

I forgot about the README.dependencies file. I’ll take a look.

I knew I was going to get some useful feedback from gcc and ./configure, I just didn’t know how messy it was going to be.

I appreciate the tips on prefix and paths. That explains why I had trouble with a recent build of 2.7 turning into a mess with an older 2.6 from the official repo still installed. Sometimes you find instructions that assume you know all the implications of a choice, I guess I didn’t.

Glad to know you successfully built 2.6.19 on 4.13.0-36 as that’s the same one I’m working with.

I’ll give it a go this afternoon.

Regards,
Adrien

> On Feb 27, 2018, at 12:05 AM, DaveC49 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just an additional comment Adrien,
>
> ./configure usually checks all the dependencies. First time I compiled
> gnucash from sources I just reran ./configure installing any packages it
> flagged as missing. i've just recompiled 2.6.19 on Linux Mint 18.3 (Ubuntu
> 16.04 derivative updated to Linux kernel version 4.13.0-36) without any
> hassles and it's working fine.
>
> David
>
>
>
> -----
> David Cousens
> --
> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Building 2.6.19 on Ubuntu Xenial

Adrien Monteleone
Indeed, following a combination of the Trusty instructions and then part of the sequence for Autotools from the 2.8 instructions did the trick, without incident or missing dependencies. (I slightly modified the exact wiki commands because I wanted the sqlite3 backend, and AqBanking)

I guess I was prematurely unsure of the result.

Now just to make a custom launcher for Unity…

Thanks for the help!
----------

For posterity, I used the following command sequence:

sudo apt build-dep gnucash
sudo apt install libdbd-sqlite3
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/bin/gnucash --enable-compile-warnings --with-html-engine=webkit
make
sudo make install

The app launched fine.

If anyone knows of any problems with this approach, please advise, otherwise, this is done.

Regards,
Adrien

> On Feb 27, 2018, at 11:41 AM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Dave,
>
> I forgot about the README.dependencies file. I’ll take a look.
>
> I knew I was going to get some useful feedback from gcc and ./configure, I just didn’t know how messy it was going to be.
>
> I appreciate the tips on prefix and paths. That explains why I had trouble with a recent build of 2.7 turning into a mess with an older 2.6 from the official repo still installed. Sometimes you find instructions that assume you know all the implications of a choice, I guess I didn’t.
>
> Glad to know you successfully built 2.6.19 on 4.13.0-36 as that’s the same one I’m working with.
>
> I’ll give it a go this afternoon.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Feb 27, 2018, at 12:05 AM, DaveC49 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Just an additional comment Adrien,
>>
>> ./configure usually checks all the dependencies. First time I compiled
>> gnucash from sources I just reran ./configure installing any packages it
>> flagged as missing. i've just recompiled 2.6.19 on Linux Mint 18.3 (Ubuntu
>> 16.04 derivative updated to Linux kernel version 4.13.0-36) without any
>> hassles and it's working fine.
>>
>> David
>>
>>
>>
>> -----
>> David Cousens
>> --
>> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
>> _______________________________________________
>> gnucash-user mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>> -----
>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Building 2.6.19 on Ubuntu Xenial

Plutocrat
In reply to this post by Adrien Monteleone
Sorry, a bit late in answering this, and surprised that no-one else chipped in ... but in case it helps someone in the future, you can get pretty recent versions of GnuCash for Ubuntu etc in the getdeb repository.

        http://www.getdeb.net/app/Gnucash

Saves a lot of messing around with compilers, dependencies etc. Having said that, its usually updated pretty quickly after a release, but I now see its still on 2.6.17. Strange.

P
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Building 2.6.19 on Ubuntu Xenial

Adrien Monteleone
Thanks Plutocrat, I noted the same staleness of version in the original post and David Carlson noted it as well.

Certainly, if people don’t mind being a release or two behind that is the simpler option. When I’m setting something up for someone else who likes *nix but isn’t tech savvy, though, I’d prefer to give them something as new as possible with fewer bugs. Had GetDeb had 2.6.19, I would have certainly taken that route.

Regards,
Adrien

> On Feb 27, 2018, at 8:56 PM, Plutocrat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sorry, a bit late in answering this, and surprised that no-one else chipped in ... but in case it helps someone in the future, you can get pretty recent versions of GnuCash for Ubuntu etc in the getdeb repository.
>
> http://www.getdeb.net/app/Gnucash
>
> Saves a lot of messing around with compilers, dependencies etc. Having said that, its usually updated pretty quickly after a release, but I now see its still on 2.6.17. Strange.
>
> P
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Building 2.6.19 on Ubuntu Xenial

Les Elliott
I have contacted the developer (maintainer) for GC on getdeb twice about
when to expect an update, but there have been no replies. Maybe not
active anymore?

Les


On 02/27/2018 09:20 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> Thanks Plutocrat, I noted the same staleness of version in the original post and David Carlson noted it as well.
>
> Certainly, if people don’t mind being a release or two behind that is the simpler option. When I’m setting something up for someone else who likes *nix but isn’t tech savvy, though, I’d prefer to give them something as new as possible with fewer bugs. Had GetDeb had 2.6.19, I would have certainly taken that route.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Feb 27, 2018, at 8:56 PM, Plutocrat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, a bit late in answering this, and surprised that no-one else chipped in ... but in case it helps someone in the future, you can get pretty recent versions of GnuCash for Ubuntu etc in the getdeb repository.
>>
>> http://www.getdeb.net/app/Gnucash
>>
>> Saves a lot of messing around with compilers, dependencies etc. Having said that, its usually updated pretty quickly after a release, but I now see its still on 2.6.17. Strange.
>>
>> P
>> _______________________________________________
>> gnucash-user mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>> -----
>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Building 2.6.19 on Ubuntu Xenial

Adrien Monteleone
In reply to this post by Adrien Monteleone
It seems I spoke too soon.

While the build went fine and I can launch the app from CLI, I can’t seem to get a proper .desktop file to be recognized by Unity, or successfully ‘Add to Dash/Lock to Launcher’ after a CLI run. (any such launcher wants to lock as ‘Unsaved book’ and won’t launch anything if clicked - it just pulses)

Apparently, the build did not properly or fully register its mime type, so I can’t launch the app from clicking the saved book. (yes I checked for an xml mime file, which does exist, and I added application/x-gnucash to the /etc/mime.types file as well.) I also had to cp the icons to their appropriate locations, the build didn’t do this either.

I may have to just install the GetDeb version instead for time’s sake.

Regards,
Adrien

> On Feb 27, 2018, at 7:54 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Indeed, following a combination of the Trusty instructions and then part of the sequence for Autotools from the 2.8 instructions did the trick, without incident or missing dependencies. (I slightly modified the exact wiki commands because I wanted the sqlite3 backend, and AqBanking)
>
> I guess I was prematurely unsure of the result.
>
> Now just to make a custom launcher for Unity…
>
> Thanks for the help!
> ----------
>
> For posterity, I used the following command sequence:
>
> sudo apt build-dep gnucash
> sudo apt install libdbd-sqlite3
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/bin/gnucash --enable-compile-warnings --with-html-engine=webkit
> make
> sudo make install
>
> The app launched fine.
>
> If anyone knows of any problems with this approach, please advise, otherwise, this is done.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Feb 27, 2018, at 11:41 AM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Dave,
>>
>> I forgot about the README.dependencies file. I’ll take a look.
>>
>> I knew I was going to get some useful feedback from gcc and ./configure, I just didn’t know how messy it was going to be.
>>
>> I appreciate the tips on prefix and paths. That explains why I had trouble with a recent build of 2.7 turning into a mess with an older 2.6 from the official repo still installed. Sometimes you find instructions that assume you know all the implications of a choice, I guess I didn’t.
>>
>> Glad to know you successfully built 2.6.19 on 4.13.0-36 as that’s the same one I’m working with.
>>
>> I’ll give it a go this afternoon.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>>
>>> On Feb 27, 2018, at 12:05 AM, DaveC49 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just an additional comment Adrien,
>>>
>>> ./configure usually checks all the dependencies. First time I compiled
>>> gnucash from sources I just reran ./configure installing any packages it
>>> flagged as missing. i've just recompiled 2.6.19 on Linux Mint 18.3 (Ubuntu
>>> 16.04 derivative updated to Linux kernel version 4.13.0-36) without any
>>> hassles and it's working fine.
>>>
>>> David
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> -----
>>> David Cousens
>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> gnucash-user mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
>>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>>> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----
>>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>>
>

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Building 2.6.19 on Ubuntu Xenial

Geert Janssens-4
In reply to this post by Adrien Monteleone
Op woensdag 28 februari 2018 02:54:09 CET schreef Adrien Monteleone:

> Indeed, following a combination of the Trusty instructions and then part of
> the sequence for Autotools from the 2.8 instructions did the trick, without
> incident or missing dependencies. (I slightly modified the exact wiki
> commands because I wanted the sqlite3 backend, and AqBanking)
>
> I guess I was prematurely unsure of the result.
>
> Now just to make a custom launcher for Unity…
>
> Thanks for the help!
> ----------
>
> For posterity, I used the following command sequence:
>
> sudo apt build-dep gnucash
> sudo apt install libdbd-sqlite3
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/bin/gnucash --enable-compile-warnings
> --with-html-engine=webkit make
> sudo make install
>
> The app launched fine.
>
> If anyone knows of any problems with this approach, please advise,
> otherwise, this is done.
>
The --prefix should not be the path to your executable. What you create with
your prefix is a directory structure like this:
/usr/local/bin/gnucash/bin (with executable gnucash and so on)
/usr/local/bin/gnucash/lib/....
/usr/local/bin/gnucash/etc/....
/usr/local/bin/gnucash/share/....

Where you most likely would want something like this:
/usr/local/bin (with executable gnucash and so on)
/usr/local/lib/....
/usr/local/etc/....
/usr/local/share/....

For the latter you should set the prefix to /usr/local.

We also generally recommend not to install in prefix /usr or /usr/local as
both are treated special at runtime. In particular, if you install in /usr/
local, make sure there's not another gnucash version installed in /usr.
Otherwise you will get unexpected results. For this reason we usually suggest
to install into /opt/gnucash (for multi-user environments) or even simply in
$HOME/gnucash (for single user environments).

The option --with-html-engine does nothing any more in the 2.6 series, so it
can be dropped.

And while for you particular case this should be fine, we generally recommend
not building directly into the source tree, but rather in a separate build
directory. That helps solving many small annoyances one could otherwise
encounter. The separate build directory is to be either a hidden directory in
the source tree or any directory outside of it.
Personally I usually have something like this:
<base>/<sourcetree>
<base>/<builddir>

With this the commands would become
sudo apt build-dep gnucash
sudo apt install libdbd-sqlite3
(get a copy of the sources in <base>/<sourcetree> before the next step)
cd <base>/<sourcetree>
./autogen.sh
cd <base>/<builddir>
<base>/<sourcetree>/configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-compile-warnings
make
sudo make install


Regards,

Geert


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Building 2.6.19 on Ubuntu Xenial

Adrien Monteleone


> On Feb 28, 2018, at 2:47 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Op woensdag 28 februari 2018 02:54:09 CET schreef Adrien Monteleone:
>> Indeed, following a combination of the Trusty instructions and then part of
>> the sequence for Autotools from the 2.8 instructions did the trick, without
>> incident or missing dependencies. (I slightly modified the exact wiki
>> commands because I wanted the sqlite3 backend, and AqBanking)
>>
>> I guess I was prematurely unsure of the result.
>>
>> Now just to make a custom launcher for Unity…
>>
>> Thanks for the help!
>> ----------
>>
>> For posterity, I used the following command sequence:
>>
>> sudo apt build-dep gnucash
>> sudo apt install libdbd-sqlite3
>> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/bin/gnucash --enable-compile-warnings
>> --with-html-engine=webkit make
>> sudo make install
>>
>> The app launched fine.
>>
>> If anyone knows of any problems with this approach, please advise,
>> otherwise, this is done.
>>
> The --prefix should not be the path to your executable. What you create with
> your prefix is a directory structure like this:
> /usr/local/bin/gnucash/bin (with executable gnucash and so on)
> /usr/local/bin/gnucash/lib/....
> /usr/local/bin/gnucash/etc/....
> /usr/local/bin/gnucash/share/....
>
> Where you most likely would want something like this:
> /usr/local/bin (with executable gnucash and so on)
> /usr/local/lib/....
> /usr/local/etc/....
> /usr/local/share/....
>
> For the latter you should set the prefix to /usr/local.

I went with the trailing /gnucash because all of the examples on the wiki page include it. (the Trusty instructions even specify /usr/bin/gnucash as an example) I see now though that there is a warning higher up the page not to use the distro location. (I think Ubuntu still leaves /usr/local alone, however, I think this will eventually change. It seems some distros are symlinking /usr to /usr/local)


>
> We also generally recommend not to install in prefix /usr or /usr/local as
> both are treated special at runtime. In particular, if you install in /usr/
> local, make sure there's not another gnucash version installed in /usr.
> Otherwise you will get unexpected results. For this reason we usually suggest
> to install into /opt/gnucash (for multi-user environments) or even simply in
> $HOME/gnucash (for single user environments).

I always built in my $HOME for my own use and never otherwise used /usr or /usr/local. Certainly /opt will be the way to go.

>
> The option --with-html-engine does nothing any more in the 2.6 series, so it
> can be dropped.

I thought I had read that somewhere but when I saw it in the instructions and didn’t see any caveat...

>
> And while for you particular case this should be fine, we generally recommend
> not building directly into the source tree, but rather in a separate build
> directory. That helps solving many small annoyances one could otherwise
> encounter. The separate build directory is to be either a hidden directory in
> the source tree or any directory outside of it.
> Personally I usually have something like this:
> <base>/<sourcetree>
> <base>/<builddir>

I’ll adopt this as a best practice from now on. Thanks.

>
> With this the commands would become
> sudo apt build-dep gnucash
> sudo apt install libdbd-sqlite3
> (get a copy of the sources in <base>/<sourcetree> before the next step)
> cd <base>/<sourcetree>
> ./autogen.sh
> cd <base>/<builddir>
> <base>/<sourcetree>/configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-compile-warnings
> make
> sudo make install

I uninstalled and re-installed, and still unfortunately, the build is not registering the mime type properly and not creating a proper desktop file. (I’m having fits doing this manually as well, not sure why as I’m following the official Ubuntu guides.)

I tried the GetDeb package only to run into the same problems.(something is definitely wacky here)

I instead opted to install 2.6.12 from the Xenial repos for him and he’ll have to wait for an OS upgrade for a GnuCash upgrade. Maybe I’ll give a go at making a snap for 3.0. Everything seems to work properly with launcher and Dash access and the ability to double-click to open the file if he wants, so I’ll stop there.

Thanks for the help though.
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.