Budget reporting for a time interval

Nith Valley Organics
When I run a budget report, at least the one I’ve found, I get the option of showing actuals, budget and differences, and the total for the year.

But there doesn’t appear to be a way of asking for how I’m doing on (say), the first quarter, or the first five months of the year against projections.

When I do get, if I want to see actuals, budget and differences, is so wide I can’t see it without scrolling, and then the accounts scroll off to the left, so I can’t see the totals for the year and the account names at the same time.

What I would like would be something that looks like this:

Account Actual Budget Difference

….

where I get to select the date range, the accounts, and which year’s budget it’s based on.  All of these I have, except the date range.

Am I missing something?  This seems like a very basic form of budget reporting.

Optionally I’d like to have the specific months in the date range, but then I’d really want the left column to freeze when I scroll.   Maybe I have to copy it into a spreadsheet for that.

Re: Budget reporting for a time interval

WM-2
Wed, 1 Jul 2015 17:33:07
<[hidden email]>  R. Victor Klassen
<[hidden email]>

>When I run a budget report, at least the one I’ve found, I get the
>option of showing actuals, budget and differences, and the total for
>the year.

Whoa!  gnc needs a budget before it does any sensible reporting

Actions / Budget / New budget is your start, not the report

>But there doesn’t appear to be a way of asking for how I’m doing on
>(say), the first quarter, or the first five months of the year against
>projections.

You may think it old fashioned but gn still thinks you must set up the
budget before you compare it to actual figures.

I know it sounds weird but that is the way it is, any reasonable person
would have expected gnc to guess, right?  Well, it can do that too, if
you set up a budget based on previous periods.  But you have to tell it
to do that.

>When I do get, if I want to see actuals, budget and differences, is so
>wide I can’t see it without scrolling, and then the accounts scroll
>off to the left, so I can’t see the totals for the year and the
>account names at the same time.

Personally I blame the small god of screen sizes, he is an inconsistent
imp.

Sightly more realistically, I find that using Edit / Preferences / Tab
position fixes that.  I've no idea why it works but it does for me, I
found it out by chance.

>What I would like would be something that looks like this:
>
>Account        Actual  Budget  Difference
>
>….

We are always happy to provide a blank screen :)

>where I get to select the date range, the accounts, and which year’s
>budget it’s based on.  All of these I have, except the date range.
>
>Am I missing something?  This seems like a very basic form of budget reporting.

Yes, it is.  Given its scope it works fine.

>Optionally I’d like to have the specific months in the date range,
>but then I’d really want the left column to freeze when I scroll.

Are those mutually exclusive things?

>   Maybe I have to copy it into a spreadsheet for that.

I advise doing that anyway.  Budgets are often for presentation.

--
Wm...

Re: Budget reporting for a time interval

Edward Doolittle
I've been missing that functionality too. The only suggestion I can make is
to download the budget report into a spreadsheet and calculate the desired
information that way. The raw data can be dumped into sheet 2 and all the
calculations can be made in sheet 1, say, so that new data can just
overwrite the contents of sheet 2 for an update.

On 1 July 2015 at 15:33, R. Victor Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I run a budget report, at least the one I’ve found, I get the option
> of showing actuals, budget and differences, and the total for the year.
>
> But there doesn’t appear to be a way of asking for how I’m doing on (say),
> the first quarter, or the first five months of the year against projections.
>
> When I do get, if I want to see actuals, budget and differences, is so
> wide I can’t see it without scrolling, and then the accounts scroll off to
> the left, so I can’t see the totals for the year and the account names at
> the same time.
>
> What I would like would be something that looks like this:
>
> Account Actual  Budget  Difference
>
> ….
>
> where I get to select the date range, the accounts, and which year’s
> budget it’s based on.  All of these I have, except the date range.
>
> Am I missing something?  This seems like a very basic form of budget
> reporting.
>
> Optionally I’d like to have the specific months in the date range, but
> then I’d really want the left column to freeze when I scroll.   Maybe I
> have to copy it into a spreadsheet for that.

Edward Doolittle
Associate Professor of Mathematics
First Nations University of Canada
1 First Nations Way, Regina SK S4S 7K2

« Toutes les fois que je donne une place vacante, je fais cent mécontents
et un ingrat. »
-- Louis XIV, dans Voltaire, Le Siècle de Louis XIV, Chap. XXVI

On Jul 2, 2015, at 5:58 PM, Wm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Whoa!  gnc needs a budget before it does any sensible reporting
>
> Actions / Budget / New budget is your start, not the report

Of course I have a budget, created on a month-by-month basis.

>> But there doesn’t appear to be a way of asking for how I’m doing on (say), the first quarter, or the first five months of the year against projections.
>
> You may think it old fashioned but gn still thinks you must set up the budget before you compare it to actual figures.

See above.

> I know it sounds weird but that is the way it is, any reasonable person would have expected gnc to guess, right?  Well, it can do that too, if you set up a budget based on previous periods.  But you have to tell it to do that.

I don’t need to respond to that.

>> When I do get, if I want to see actuals, budget and differences, is so wide I can’t see it without scrolling, and then the accounts scroll off to the left, so I can’t see the totals for the year and the account names at the same time.
>
> Personally I blame the small god of screen sizes, he is an inconsistent imp.
>
> Sightly more realistically, I find that using Edit / Preferences / Tab position fixes that.  I've no idea why it works but it does for me, I found it out by chance.

At least on the Mac, preferences isn’t under the edit menu.  When I do go to preferences, the only place I find tab position is for editing where the tabs (for selecting among open tabs) appear.  No help whatsoever.

>> What I would like would be something that looks like this:
>>
>> Account        Actual  Budget  Difference
>>
>> ….
>>

> We are always happy to provide a blank screen :)

I think I made myself clear to anyone not known as Wm.

>> where I get to select the date range, the accounts, and which year’s budget it’s based on.  All of these I have, except the date range.
>>
>> Am I missing something?  This seems like a very basic form of budget reporting.
>
> Yes, it is.  Given its scope it works fine.
>
>> Optionally I’d like to have the specific months in the date range, but then I’d really want the left column to freeze when I scroll.
>
> Are those mutually exclusive things?

No, but the requirement for the left column to freeze is only required when months are shown in the budget report.

>>  Maybe I have to copy it into a spreadsheet for that.
>
> I advise doing that anyway.  Budgets are often for presentation.

And they are also often for ordinary people trying to track their finances, to know, on a more than once-a-year basis, how they’re doing.

> --
> Wm...

Re: Budget reporting for a time interval

Colin Law
On 3 July 2015 at 23:15, R. Victor Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2015, at 5:58 PM, Wm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sightly more realistically, I find that using Edit / Preferences / Tab position fixes that.  I've no idea why it works but it does for me, I found it out by chance.
>
> At least on the Mac, preferences isn’t under the edit menu.  When I do go to preferences, the only place I find tab position is for editing where the tabs (for selecting among open tabs) appear.  No help whatsoever.

I think the  point is that whether you have the tabs at the side or at
the top changes the available screen width, which may, or may not,
help your problem.

Colin

Re: Budget reporting for a time interval

Nith Valley Organics
Well, we’re talking half the screen width, not just the amount that a tab would change.  And my tabs are at the top, so changing them to the side would presumably make it worse.

On 4 July 2015 at 11:30, R. Victor Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, we’re talking half the screen width, not just the amount that a tab would change.  And my tabs are at the top, so changing them to the side would presumably make it worse.

Wm said that changing it fixed the problem for him, whatever that
means.  Anything is worth trying.

Colin

> On Jul 4, 2015, at 3:01 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> At least on the Mac, preferences isn’t under the edit menu.  When I do go to preferences, the only place I find tab position is for editing where the tabs (for selecting among open tabs) appear.  No help whatsoever.
>>
>> I think the  point is that whether you have the tabs at the side or at
>> the top changes the available screen width, which may, or may not,
>> help your problem.
>>
>> Colin

Re: Budget reporting for a time interval

Nith Valley Organics
I tried.  The first time it crashed, but that wasn’t reproducible.   The second time it only reduced my screen real estate, without changing the scrolling behaviour.

On Jul 4, 2015, at 6:35 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4 July 2015 at 11:30, R. Victor Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Well, we’re talking half the screen width, not just the amount that a tab would change.  And my tabs are at the top, so changing them to the side would presumably make it worse.
>
> Wm said that changing it fixed the problem for him, whatever that
> means.  Anything is worth trying.
>
> Colin

>>> I think the  point is that whether you have the tabs at the side or at
>>> the top changes the available screen width, which may, or may not,
>>> help your problem.
>>>
>>> Colin

Re: Budget reporting for a time interval

Jim Passmore
On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 5:33 PM, R. Victor Klassen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> When I run a budget report, at least the one I’ve found, I get the option
> of showing actuals, budget and differences, and the total for the year.
>
> But there doesn’t appear to be a way of asking for how I’m doing on (say),
> the first quarter, or the first five months of the year against projections.
>
> When I do get, if I want to see actuals, budget and differences, is so
> wide I can’t see it without scrolling, and then the accounts scroll off to
> the left, so I can’t see the totals for the year and the account names at
> the same time.
>
> What I would like would be something that looks like this:
>
> Account Actual  Budget  Difference
>
> ….
>
> where I get to select the date range, the accounts, and which year’s
> budget it’s based on.  All of these I have, except the date range.
>
> Am I missing something?  This seems like a very basic form of budget
> reporting.
>
> Optionally I’d like to have the specific months in the date range, but
> then I’d really want the left column to freeze when I scroll.   Maybe I
> have to copy it into a spreadsheet for that.

 Victor,
 I'm a new user, and budgeting was the biggest thing holding me back from
switching from an old version of Quicken to GunCash.  I would try it every
year to 18 months, and it just didn't have the functionality.  Finally,
this last time it was better, so I am using it for 2015.  Your issue is
essentially the same as one of mine.  I finally found on this list the
following discussion.
http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Budget-report-enhancement-ranges-in-td4676146.html

In that conversation, there is a link to this enhancement to the standard
budget report.
http://blog.dnpavlov.com/2014/03/gnucash-budget-report-enhancement.html

This is the thing that made it work for me, but I don't recommend making
the changes exactly like the blog says to do.  If you do that, and then
update GnuCash, your custom budget report could get overwritten.  I dug
through more list discussions and the GnuCash documentation on reports, and
instead did the following.

Saved the SCM file from that blog to a new filename (I used
"partial_budget.scm")
Edited the SCM file.  Memory says the following lines:

"define module" near the top, to (define-module (gnucash report
standard-reports partial-year-budget))
"define reportname" near top, to (define reportname (N_ "Partial Budget
Report"))
"report-guid near end to 'report-guid "2dc4391feff4498210eec7982e317469"
** note this unique guid was created with the gnucash-make-guids command
line utility

Then edited the config.user file.  I actually had to create it, as I had no
custom configuration yet.  On my linux system I believe the path is
something like ~/.gnuchash/config.user.  (BTW, this is where I saved the
SCM file.)

In that file, I have the line
(load (gnc-build-dotgnucash-path "partial_budget.scm"))

Working on memory for this, so I hope that's all of it, and the details are
correct.  I now have the functionality described in the above blog,
alongside the standard budget report.  It shows up in the standard reports
menu.  At some point, I'm going to try to learn how the SCM formatting
works to add some white space into the report!

For more detail, see http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Custom_Reports

--
*Jim Passmore*
Linux User #232777

Re: Budget reporting for a time interval

Nith Valley Organics
This appears to be just the ticket.  Somehow I didn’t notice the discussion the first time around.   Based on your description and the content of the blog post, it looks very much like what I’m trying to do.

When I tried installing it, gnucash failed to start.   Mac OS 10.6.8 GnuCash 2.6.7 [the most recent stable].   I’m hoping it’s something simple, as debugging scheme just isn’t happening - I don’t have the time to first attempt to learn scheme and then debug this.

Looking at the console log, I found:

15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    Backtrace:
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    In ice-9/eval-string.scm:
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]      44: 19 [read-and-eval #<input: string 18407380> #:lang ...]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]      37: 18 [lp (use-modules (gnucash report standard-reports))]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    In ice-9/eval.scm:
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]     505: 17 [#<procedure 17af50e0 at ice-9/eval.scm:499:4 (exp)> (use-modules #)]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    In ice-9/psyntax.scm:
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    1106: 16 [expand-top-sequence ((use-modules #)) () ((top)) ...]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]     989: 15 [scan ((use-modules (gnucash report standard-reports))) () ...]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]     279: 14 [scan ((# #) #(syntax-object *unspecified* # #)) () (()) ...]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    3597: 13 [process-use-modules (((gnucash report standard-reports)))]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]     702: 12 [map #<procedure 17bdf0b0 at ice-9/boot-9.scm:3597:25 (mif-args)> ((#))]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    3598: 11 [#<procedure 17bdf0b0 at ice-9/boot-9.scm:3597:25 (mif-args)> (#)]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    2864: 10 [resolve-interface (gnucash report standard-reports) #:select ...]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    2789: 9 [#<procedure 17bdcce0 at ice-9/boot-9.scm:2777:4 (name #:optional autoload version #:key ensure)> # ...]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    3065: 8 [try-module-autoload (gnucash report standard-reports) #f]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    2401: 7 [save-module-excursion #<procedure 186242b8 at ice-9/boot-9.scm:3066:17 ()>]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    3085: 6 [#<procedure 186242b8 at ice-9/boot-9.scm:3066:17 ()>]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    In unknown file:
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]       ?: 5 [primitive-load-path "gnucash/report/standard-reports" ...]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    In standard-reports.scm:
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]     130: 4 [#<procedure 18361bf0 ()>]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]     775: 3 [for-each #<procedure 1837def0 at standard-reports.scm:131:4 (x)> #]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    In standard-reports.scm:
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]     134: 2 [#<procedure 1837def0 at standard-reports.scm:131:4 (x)> budget]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    2867: 1 [resolve-interface (gnucash report standard-reports ...) #:select ...]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    In unknown file:
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]       ?: 0 [scm-error misc-error #f ...]
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    ERROR: no code for module (gnucash report standard-reports budget)
15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    com.apple.launchd.peruser.503[154]    ([0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]) Exited with exit code: 1

On Jul 4, 2015, at 11:38 AM, Jim Passmore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> "report-guid near end to 'report-guid "2dc4391feff4498210eec7982e317469"
> ** note this unique guid was created with the gnucash-make-guids command
> line utility
>
> Then edited the config.user file.  I actually had to create it, as I had no
> custom configuration yet.  On my linux system I believe the path is
> something like ~/.gnuchash/config.user.  (BTW, this is where I saved the
> SCM file.)
>
> In that file, I have the line
> (load (gnc-build-dotgnucash-path "partial_budget.scm"))
>
> Working on memory for this, so I hope that's all of it, and the details are
> correct.  I now have the functionality described in the above blog,
> alongside the standard budget report.  It shows up in the standard reports
> menu.  At some point, I'm going to try to learn how the SCM formatting
> works to add some white space into the report!

Print check register for a paticular time period

Chris Tsuji
   Hi all
   I am using version 2.6.3, with a mac os 10.9.5.
   How can I print the check register for a particular time period.  I
   have three years worth of checks records and would like to just print
   from jan 2015 to June 2015?
   Thanks in advance for your help.
   Chris Tsuji

Re: Print check register for a paticular time period

foxylady337

> On 4 Jul 2015, at 22:41, Chris Tsuji <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>   Hi all
>   I am using version 2.6.3, with a mac os 10.9.5.
>   How can I print the check register for a particular time period.  I
>   have three years worth of checks records and would like to just print
>   from jan 2015 to June 2015?
>   Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi, Chris.

What you want is a Transaction Report (Reports=>Transaction Report).

This will come up with a warning - “No Accounts Selected”.

Click the “Options” button and select that account and date range you’re interested in by adjusting various settings that become available.

In this case, you’ll want to select the same account in the “Accounts” section and “Filter By…” section of the Accounts tab. In the “General” tab you can choose the date range. Otherwise you should probably just accept the defaults.

Michael

>   Chris Tsuji

Re: Print check register for a paticular time period

Chris Tsuji
   Michael
   Thank you. It worked.
   Chris Tsuji

   Sent: Saturday, July 04, 2015 at 3:17 PM
   From: "Michael Hendry" <[hidden email]>
   To: "Chris Tsuji" <[hidden email]>
   Cc: gnucash-user <[hidden email]>
   Subject: Re: Print check register for a paticular time period
   > On 4 Jul 2015, at 22:41, Chris Tsuji <[hidden email]> wrote:
   >
   > Hi all
   > I am using version 2.6.3, with a mac os 10.9.5.
   > How can I print the check register for a particular time period. I
   > have three years worth of checks records and would like to just print
   > from jan 2015 to June 2015?
   > Thanks in advance for your help.
   Hi, Chris.
   What you want is a Transaction Report (Reports=>Transaction Report).
   This will come up with a warning - “No Accounts Selected”.
   Click the “Options” button and select that account and date range
   you’re interested in by adjusting various settings that become
   available.
   In this case, you’ll want to select the same account in the “Accounts”
   section and “Filter By…” section of the Accounts tab. In the “General”
   tab you can choose the date range. Otherwise you should probably just
   accept the defaults.
   Michael
   > Chris Tsuji

References

Re: Budget reporting for a time interval

Jim Passmore
On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 4:21 PM, R. Victor Klassen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> 15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    In
> ice-9/boot-9.scm:
> 15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    2867:
> 1 [resolve-interface (gnucash report standard-reports ...) #:select ...]
> 15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]    In
> unknown file:
> 15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]       ?:
> 0 [scm-error misc-error #f ...]
> 15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]
> ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
> 15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    [0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]
> ERROR: no code for module (gnucash report standard-reports budget)
> 15-07-04 3:53:41 PM    com.apple.launchd.peruser.503[154]
> ([0x0-0x254053e].org.gnucash.Gnucash[54770]) Exited with exit code: 1

Can't help much here, as I don't know macs or SCM. (Making the edits to the
SCM file was an experiment for me.  Another reason I didn't want to replace
my original!)   Reading the trace, the ERROR lines near bottom suggest to
me that something has happened to the budget.scm file.  Did you edit or
replace the original?  Or maybe the original file and the new report SCM
file are both there and define themselves in the same way?  Grasping at
straws here...

--
*Jim Passmore*
Linux User #232777

Re: Budget reporting for a time interval

WM-2
Sat, 4 Jul 2015 06:46:53
<[hidden email]>  R. Victor Klassen
<[hidden email]>

>On Jul 4, 2015, at 6:35 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 4 July 2015 at 11:30, R. Victor Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Well, we’re talking half the screen width, not just the amount
>>>that a tab would change.  And my tabs are at the top, so changing
>>>them to the side would presumably make it worse.
>>
>> Wm said that changing it fixed the problem for him, whatever that
>> means.  Anything is worth trying.

>I tried.  The first time it crashed, but that wasn’t reproducible.
>The second time it only reduced my screen real estate, without changing
>the scrolling behaviour.

It makes a real difference on the remote Win systems (5 in total, mix of
Win 7 and 8) that I come across on a weekly basis.  You have shown that
a little used item

Edit / Preferences / Windows / Tab position

may be used on other systems to unexpected effect so the dev's have
something to work on.

What happens to me is that using that option makes the screen estate for
budgets much better.  If it makes it worse for Victor then at least we
have identified a (possibly cross platform) crux.

--
Wm...

Re: Budget reporting for a time interval

Nith Valley Organics
What I did was move the original budget.scm file aside and then replaced it with the one with the new features.

(after the experiment I moved the original back, since I can’t start GnuCash with the new .scm file).