Budget report question...

randix
Given the number of recent posts re budgeting, it got me thinking, is there a better way of doing what I've been doing (that works but is rather a pain) and what I want/need?  I'm always for easier...

I'm using Windows 8.1, GnuCash 2.6.5

1. The only expense categories I care about for budgeting, are (a) rent (locations I use in various parts of the country); and (b) dining expense.

2. I use Gnucash's budget report to display a report, 6 weeks at a time, that shows on a weekly basis, (a) the amount of my budget for each category; (b) the amount I've currently spent for that week; and (c) the balance--positive or negative--that is left for that week.

3. I also use Gnucash's budget report to display a bar graph of #2.

All the above is OK and "works" (other than manually having to change the defined 6 week time period, from time to time).

What I really want, in addition to the above, is a projection of my cash flow in my principal checking account, given the budgeted amounts.

Specifically:

1. I have one main checking account that 99% of the two expense categories come out of.

2. So I've been entering in that checking account, on a weekly basis, six weeks IN ADVANCE, a separate line debit for each week for my projected budgeted amount for "rent"; and a separate line debit for each week for my projected budgeted amount for "dining" (these numbers correspond to what I've put in GnuCash's Budget report).  From time to time during the current week, I adjust these forward looking projections.  That enables me to look at my principal checking account, and see how the projected budgeted expenses are going to impact my projected checking account balance, eg:

12/31/14  Current balance...                                      $1000.00
1/3/15      Weekly dining budget             -$100.00           900.00
1/3/15      Weekly rent budget                -$200.00           700.00
1/10/15    Weekly rent budget                -$300.00           400.00
1/10/15    Weekly dining budget              -$150.00           250.00

etc.

I'm not seeing anything in the budget report options, that allows me to see what impact my budgeted amounts, have on a particular account for forecasting future available cash flow.

Am I missing something?  Thanks...

Re: Budget report question...

WM-2
Thu, 1 Jan 2015 11:47:38 <[hidden email]>
Steve <[hidden email]>

>Given the number of recent posts re budgeting, it got me thinking, is there a
>better way of doing what I've been doing (that works but is rather a pain)
>and what I want/need?  I'm always for easier...
>
>I'm using Windows 8.1, GnuCash 2.6.5
>
>1. The only expense categories I care about for budgeting, are (a) rent
>(locations I use in various parts of the country); and (b) dining expense.
>
>2. I use Gnucash's budget report to display a report, 6 weeks at a time,
>that shows on a weekly basis, (a) the amount of my budget for each category;
>(b) the amount I've currently spent for that week; and (c) the
>balance--positive or negative--that is left for that week.
>
>3. I also use Gnucash's budget report to display a bar graph of #2.
>
>All the above is OK and "works" (other than manually having to change the
>defined 6 week time period, from time to time).
>
>What I really want, in addition to the above, is a projection of my cash
>flow in my principal checking account, given the budgeted amounts.
>
>Specifically:
>
>1. I have one main checking account that 99% of the two expense categories
>come out of.
>
>2. So I've been entering in that checking account, on a weekly basis, six
>weeks IN ADVANCE, a separate line debit for each week for my projected
>budgeted amount for "rent"; and a separate line debit for each week for my
>projected budgeted amount for "dining" (these numbers correspond to what
>I've put in GnuCash's Budget report).  From time to time during the current
>week, I adjust these forward looking projections.  That enables me to look
>at my principal checking account, and see how the projected budgeted
>expenses are going to impact my projected checking account balance, eg:
>
>12/31/14  Current balance...                                      $1000.00
>1/3/15      Weekly dining budget             -$100.00           900.00
>1/3/15      Weekly rent budget                -$200.00           700.00
>1/10/15    Weekly rent budget                -$300.00           400.00
>1/10/15    Weekly dining budget              -$150.00           250.00
>
>etc.
>
>I'm not seeing anything in the budget report options, that allows me to see
>what impact my budgeted amounts, have on a particular account for
>forecasting future available cash flow.
>
>Am I missing something?  Thanks...

I use Scheduled Transactions in a similar way rather than gnc's
budgeting.

So as well as more obvious scheduled transactions like monthly water
utility payment I also (based on past expenditure) have weekly or
monthly scheduled transactions that I adjust as actual expenditure is
made.

When I start up gnc I have a number of reports set up on a home page
(other apps call it a dashboard) where I have all future transactions
for current, savings, CC, cash, etc a/c's as well as list of relevant
balances.

I wouldn't use the budgeting at all in your situation but find the right
forecasting that suited me.

--
Wm...