Budget Slowing Down Windows 10

Proberts042
I have been using gnucash for about six months now, and really like it. Easy to use, and does the job well for my small school. I want to use the Budget feature, but whenever I try to set up a Budget my Windoze 10 computer slows down and gnucash announces frequently that the program is not responding. I can seemingly use the other tabs that I have open with ease, but when I come back to the Budget tab, gnucash flickers and announces again Not Responding.

I have searched extensively for any information on this, but have found extremely little. I thought I saw that this was a bug that someone was intending to address. I would really like to use the Budget feature, but so far, have been unable.

Re: Budget Slowing Down Windows 10

Colin Law
What version of GnuCash are you using?

Colin

On 23 August 2017 at 21:41, Proberts042 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been using gnucash for about six months now, and really like it. Easy
> to use, and does the job well for my small school. I want to use the Budget
> feature, but whenever I try to set up a Budget my Windoze 10 computer slows
> down and gnucash announces frequently that the program is not responding. I
> can seemingly use the other tabs that I have open with ease, but when I come
> back to the Budget tab, gnucash flickers and announces again Not Responding.
>
> I have searched extensively for any information on this, but have found
> extremely little. I thought I saw that this was a bug that someone was
> intending to address. I would really like to use the Budget feature, but so
> far, have been unable.

Re: Budget Slowing Down Windows 10

Proberts042
2.6.17

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Colin Law [via GnuCash] <[hidden email]> wrote:
What version of GnuCash are you using?

Colin

On 23 August 2017 at 21:41, Proberts042 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been using gnucash for about six months now, and really like it. Easy
> to use, and does the job well for my small school. I want to use the Budget
> feature, but whenever I try to set up a Budget my Windoze 10 computer slows
> down and gnucash announces frequently that the program is not responding. I
> can seemingly use the other tabs that I have open with ease, but when I come
> back to the Budget tab, gnucash flickers and announces again Not Responding.
>
> I have searched extensively for any information on this, but have found
> extremely little. I thought I saw that this was a bug that someone was
> intending to address. I would really like to use the Budget feature, but so
> far, have been unable.

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Budget-Slowing-Down-Windows-10-tp4693398p4693399.html
To unsubscribe from Budget Slowing Down Windows 10, click here.
NAML

--
Paul Roberts, Ph.D.
Bay Islands International School

Education That Will Take You Anywhere

Re: Budget Slowing Down Windows 10

Proberts042
Version 2.6.17

Re: Budget Slowing Down Windows 10

David Carlson-4
It is well known that GnuCash tends to run slowly when running some
reports, and particularly when working on larger data files containing
years of data.  However, it is very unusual to run so slowly that the OS
complains that it is not responding.  Some users (myself included) notice
that it could take more than a minute to start the program or to run some
reports with large files.

If you have issues with Firefox or other memory intensive programs also
causing problems, you probably need to add RAM or get a more powerful
computer.

Those are two common scenarios, but there are other cases where GnuCash may
sometimes run slowly without actually having triggered a bug.

David C

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 4:03 PM, Proberts042 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Version 2.6.17

Re: Budget Slowing Down Windows 10

Colin Law
The point about memory is a good one @proberts042 I assume that
Windows has a system monitor tool of some sort that you can run to see
how much memory is being used. Try running that and then the report
and see if you are running out of RAM

Colin

On 24 August 2017 at 22:59, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is well known that GnuCash tends to run slowly when running some
> reports, and particularly when working on larger data files containing
> years of data.  However, it is very unusual to run so slowly that the OS
> complains that it is not responding.  Some users (myself included) notice
> that it could take more than a minute to start the program or to run some
> reports with large files.
>
> If you have issues with Firefox or other memory intensive programs also
> causing problems, you probably need to add RAM or get a more powerful
> computer.
>
> Those are two common scenarios, but there are other cases where GnuCash may
> sometimes run slowly without actually having triggered a bug.
>
> David C
>
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 4:03 PM, Proberts042 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Version 2.6.17

Re: Budget Slowing Down Windows 10

David Carlson-4
In W7 or W10 right click in the task bar and select Task Manager.  Then
select Resource Monitor to look at details.

David C

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 1:39 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The point about memory is a good one @proberts042 I assume that
> Windows has a system monitor tool of some sort that you can run to see
> how much memory is being used. Try running that and then the report
> and see if you are running out of RAM
>
> Colin
>
> On 24 August 2017 at 22:59, David Carlson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > It is well known that GnuCash tends to run slowly when running some
> > reports, and particularly when working on larger data files containing
> > years of data.  However, it is very unusual to run so slowly that the OS
> > complains that it is not responding.  Some users (myself included) notice
> > that it could take more than a minute to start the program or to run some
> > reports with large files.
> >
> > If you have issues with Firefox or other memory intensive programs also
> > causing problems, you probably need to add RAM or get a more powerful
> > computer.
> >
> > Those are two common scenarios, but there are other cases where GnuCash
> may
> > sometimes run slowly without actually having triggered a bug.
> >
> > David C
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 4:03 PM, Proberts042 <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Version 2.6.17

Re: Budget Slowing Down Windows 10

Proberts042
I need to clarify. The operating system does not slow down. Only GnuCash. It is extremely slow. The computer otherwise works as usual. I will not say it works great. It is still Windoze.

Physical Memory

Gnucash not running
In Use     3382 MB
Modified   103 MB
Standby  5329 MB
Free        6440 MB

Gnucash running
In Use     3437 MB
Modified   102 MB
Standby  53185 MB
Free        6402 MB

Gnucash running-New Budget window open
In Use     3514 MB
Modified    86 MB
Standby   6044 MB
Free        5641 MB

Re: Budget Slowing Down Windows 10

David Carlson-4
I do not use budgets so I cannot comment on that part, but several other
reports run very slowly for me, meaning they sometimes take minutes to
update.  GnuCash pretty much single threads, even on very powerful
computers.  The developers know about that and they are working feverishly
on under-the-hood changes to fix that.  However, it will probably be
several months before a significantly faster version is released.  It does
seem like GnuCash runs noticeably faster on Linux computers, even on Linux
guests in Virtualbox on Windoze computers.

Also, another issue for me is when I use a computer that is linked through
Wi-Fi to the data file, that adds about 40 seconds to the file save time.

So, does slow mean several minutes to you?

David C

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 8:47 AM, Proberts042 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I need to clarify. The operating system does not slow down. Only GnuCash.
> It
> is extremely slow. The computer otherwise works as usual. I will not say it
> works great. It is still Windoze.
>
> Physical Memory
>
> Gnucash not running
> In Use     3382 MB
> Modified   103 MB
> Standby  5329 MB
> Free        6440 MB
>
> Gnucash running
> In Use     3437 MB
> Modified   102 MB
> Standby  53185 MB
> Free        6402 MB
>
> Gnucash running-New Budget window open
> In Use     3514 MB
> Modified    86 MB
> Standby   6044 MB
> Free        5641 MB

Re: Budget Slowing Down Windows 10

Similar experience here. To be fair, in my case, it's an older Windows 7
laptop with a single core maxed out at 2GB RAM. On this machine, Gnucash
can't even open a budget; it just thrashes until I give up and close the
budget tab. On my 4GB desktop (also Win 7, also single core), opening
the budget is very slow, but no real problem.

> Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 06:47:07 -0700 (MST)
> From: Proberts042<[hidden email]>
> To:[hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Budget Slowing Down Windows 10
>
> I need to clarify. The operating system does not slow down. Only GnuCash. It
> is extremely slow. The computer otherwise works as usual. I will not say it
> works great. It is still Windoze.
>
> Physical Memory
>
> Gnucash not running
> In Use     3382 MB
> Modified   103 MB
> Standby  5329 MB
> Free        6440 MB
>
> Gnucash running
> In Use     3437 MB
> Modified   102 MB
> Standby  53185 MB
> Free        6402 MB
>
> Gnucash running-New Budget window open
> In Use     3514 MB
> Modified    86 MB
> Standby   6044 MB
> Free        5641 MB

Re: Budget Slowing Down Windows 10

Proberts042
Slow to me is several minutes.

I have installed GnuCash on a Linux operating system (Ubuntu) and it seemed to work well. However, did not try the Budget feature there. I would like to use an open source operating system but sharing word processor files with my teachers and students proves difficult because Google Drive and LibreOffice render Word tables remarkably differently than Microsoft, and even make changes so that the documents are really different when run in Windows again. I know of no way to get around this. I hope that these problems are solved in the near future as I would love to use Linux machines exclusively. We want to move more toward open-source software systems. GnuCash, even with its limitations running in a Windows environment, is great (except for Budget). We have also started using OpenSiS-CE for our school information management system.

So I guess I will wait for the software experts to see what they can do about this Budget thing. I would really like to use this feature for planning.

Thanks for your help

Re: Budget Slowing Down Windows 10

Phil Longstaff-5
I am aware of the very slow performance with budget. I have some ideas to
improve it but have not found time to put into it. It seems to only affect
Windows. It runs fine on linux.

Phil

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 1:55 PM, Proberts042 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Slow to me is several minutes.
>
> I have installed GnuCash on a Linux operating system (Ubuntu) and it seemed
> to work well. However, did not try the Budget feature there. I would like
> use an open source operating system but sharing word processor files with
> my
> teachers and students proves difficult because Google Drive and LibreOffice
> render Word tables remarkably differently than Microsoft, and even make
> changes so that the documents are really different when run in Windows
> again. I know of no way to get around this. I hope that these problems are
> solved in the near future as I would love to use Linux machines
> exclusively.
> We want to move more toward open-source software systems. GnuCash, even
> with
> its limitations running in a Windows environment, is great (except for
> Budget). We have also started using OpenSiS-CE for our school information
> management system.
>
> So I guess I will wait for the software experts to see what they can do
> about this Budget thing. I would really like to use this feature for
> planning.
>
> Thanks for your help

Re: Budget Slowing Down Windows 10

Phil Longstaff-5
Don't forget to reply to the whole list.

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 6:50 PM, Mark Hedges <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> ​FWIW I noticed several problems with open source programs in Windows 10.
> Could it be a graphics library implementation issue?  I wonder if you would
> get the same problem using Developer Mode and the Ubuntu Subsystem for
> Windows with VcXsrv on the same file and filesystem.  If it works correctly
> in the Ubuntu Subsystem, I'm not sure what that would mean, but it might
> help you track down the problem.  Thank you SO MUCH for your extremely
> beneficial work.  I donated.  :-)
>
> Mark
> ​
>
> --
> Mark Hedges
> CEO Weird Vibe Inc.
> +1-310-487-7123 <(310)%20487-7123>
> https://weirdvibe.media <http://weirdvibe.media>
> [image: Weird Vibe Inc.] <https://weirdvibe.media>
>
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 6:24 PM, Phil Longstaff <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I am aware of the very slow performance with budget. I have some ideas to
>> improve it but have not found time to put into it. It seems to only affect
>> Windows. It runs fine on linux.
>>
>> Phil
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 1:55 PM, Proberts042 <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Slow to me is several minutes.
>> >
>> > I have installed GnuCash on a Linux operating system (Ubuntu) and it
>> seemed
>> > to work well. However, did not try the Budget feature there. I would
>> like
>> > use an open source operating system but sharing word processor files
>> with
>> > my
>> > teachers and students proves difficult because Google Drive and
>> LibreOffice
>> > render Word tables remarkably differently than Microsoft, and even make
>> > changes so that the documents are really different when run in Windows
>> > again. I know of no way to get around this. I hope that these problems
>> are
>> > solved in the near future as I would love to use Linux machines
>> > exclusively.
>> > We want to move more toward open-source software systems. GnuCash, even
>> > with
>> > its limitations running in a Windows environment, is great (except for
>> > Budget). We have also started using OpenSiS-CE for our school
>> information
>> > management system.
>> >
>> > So I guess I will wait for the software experts to see what they can do
>> > about this Budget thing. I would really like to use this feature for
>> > planning.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help

Re: Budget Slowing Down Windows 10

Mark Hedges
I didn't forget.  I just didn't want to, because I don't really know
if this is on the right track.  On mailing lists in general, I am
tired of getting negative responses for offering suggestions or asking
questions.  So why bother addressing messages to people other than the
ones I'm replying to.

Mark
--
Mark Hedges
CEO Weird Vibe Inc.

On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 5:46 AM, Phil Longstaff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don't forget to reply to the whole list.
>
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 6:50 PM, Mark Hedges <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> FWIW I noticed several problems with open source programs in Windows 10.
>> Could it be a graphics library implementation issue?  I wonder if you would
>> get the same problem using Developer Mode and the Ubuntu Subsystem for
>> Windows with VcXsrv on the same file and filesystem.  If it works correctly
>> in the Ubuntu Subsystem, I'm not sure what that would mean, but it might
>> help you track down the problem.  Thank you SO MUCH for your extremely
>> beneficial work.  I donated.  :-)
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> --
>> Mark Hedges
>> CEO Weird Vibe Inc.
>> +1-310-487-7123
>> https://weirdvibe.media
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 6:24 PM, Phil Longstaff <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am aware of the very slow performance with budget. I have some ideas to
>>> improve it but have not found time to put into it. It seems to only
>>> affect
>>> Windows. It runs fine on linux.
>>>
>>> Phil

Re: Budget Slowing Down Windows 10

Derek Atkins
Mark Hedges <[hidden email]> writes:

> I didn't forget.  I just didn't want to, because I don't really know
> if this is on the right track.  On mailing lists in general, I am
> tired of getting negative responses for offering suggestions or asking
> questions.  So why bother addressing messages to people other than the
> ones I'm replying to.

Because this is a group effort, and there are multiple people who may
have different pieces of the answer puzzle..  So when you reply off list
those other people who MAY be able to help you can't, because they don't
see the responses to previous questions.