Bounty for a bugfix: Have register window Filter-By settings be saved and restored

Bounty for a bugfix: Have register window Filter-By settings be saved and restored

Christian Stimming-4
Dear all,

I want to test drive the possibility to put a bounty on bugfixes for some
well-known old bugs in gnucash. Also, I found out about various open source
bounty management web-sites throughout the web and I'd like to test them one
by one.

As a first such try, I'd like to offer a $50 bounty on the bugfix task "Allow
Filter By settings to be saved and reused", managed via the nextsprocket
website:

   http://nextsprocket.com/tasks/gnucash-allow-filter-by-settings-to-be-saved-
and-reused

Other users who would like to see this task fixed can add a reward to that
task as well (which is why this is announced on nextsprocket). Developers who
would like to submit a solution should announce this interest in the comments
on that website.

Again, I'm just curious to see whether this really works out and whether this
small bounty helps motivating someone to actually fix this issue. I'll
summarize my experience later on.

Regards,

Christian

Re: Bounty for a bugfix: Have register window Filter-By settings be saved and restored

Tim M-6
It seems as though NextSprocket has few active users or (realistic) tasks
available.  Most existing tasks are posted by the user 'roger pack' and most
of his posted requests seem bogus IMO.  The site is an interesting idea, but
I can't see why any serious developer would spend any significant amount of
time perusing that site to be quite honest without more available tasks and
active users.  Then again, I don't know what other options are out there.

Am Dienstag, 28. Juni 2011 schrieb Tim M:
> It seems as though NextSprocket has few active users or (realistic) tasks
> available.  Most existing tasks are posted by the user 'roger pack' and
> most of his posted requests seem bogus IMO.  The site is an interesting
> idea, but I can't see why any serious developer would spend any
> significant amount of time perusing that site to be quite honest without
> more available tasks and active users.

Absolutely. That's why I thought I would give it a real try. Currently the
outcome seems to be that this site is not visited by developers at all.

Also, I wouldn't expect that someone browses NextSprocket and then decides to
work on the gnucash bounty. Instead, I would expect some readers of gnucash-
devel being interested in the bounty. That's why I have announced the
availability here. Apparently this isn't the case, too.

I collected the options here: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Bounty_Program
The next one to try would be http://www.fossfactory.org/

Regards,

Christian

Re: Bounty for a bugfix: Have register window Filter-By settings be saved and restored

Matthijs Kooijman
Hey Christian,

> Also, I wouldn't expect that someone browses NextSprocket and then decides to
> work on the gnucash bounty. Instead, I would expect some readers of gnucash-
> devel being interested in the bounty. That's why I have announced the
> availability here. Apparently this isn't the case, too.
Actually, I'm interested in the bounty. Frankly, the feature has been on
my personal itch-list for a while already, but I think the bounty might
be the trigger to make me actually invest some time and implement it.

I didn't speak up before, since I'm in the middle of a move and won't be
able to work on this for some weeks still. If nobody else takes it up,
I'll give it a try.

Gr.

Matthijs

Am Dienstag, 28. Juni 2011 schrieb Matthijs Kooijman:

> Hey Christian,
>
> > Also, I wouldn't expect that someone browses NextSprocket and then
> > decides to work on the gnucash bounty. Instead, I would expect some
> > readers of gnucash- devel being interested in the bounty. That's why I
> > have announced the availability here. Apparently this isn't the case,
> > too.
>
> Actually, I'm interested in the bounty. Frankly, the feature has been on
> my personal itch-list for a while already, but I think the bounty might
> be the trigger to make me actually invest some time and implement it.
>
> I didn't speak up before, since I'm in the middle of a move and won't be
> able to work on this for some weeks still. If nobody else takes it up,
> I'll give it a try.

Obviously nobody took it up so far. Please note your interest as a comment on
the nextsprout page so that this is recorded in the same place as the bounty
itself. Thanks!

Regards,

Christian

Re: Bounty for a bugfix: Have register window Filter-By settings be saved and restored

Geert Janssens
On dinsdag 28 juni 2011, Christian Stimming wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 28. Juni 2011 schrieb Matthijs Kooijman:
> > Hey Christian,
> >
> > > Also, I wouldn't expect that someone browses NextSprocket and then
> > > decides to work on the gnucash bounty. Instead, I would expect some
> > > readers of gnucash- devel being interested in the bounty. That's why I
> > > have announced the availability here. Apparently this isn't the case,
> > > too.
> >
> > Actually, I'm interested in the bounty. Frankly, the feature has been on
> > my personal itch-list for a while already, but I think the bounty might
> > be the trigger to make me actually invest some time and implement it.
> >
> > I didn't speak up before, since I'm in the middle of a move and won't be
> > able to work on this for some weeks still. If nobody else takes it up,
> > I'll give it a try.
>
> Obviously nobody took it up so far. Please note your interest as a comment
> on the nextsprout page so that this is recorded in the same place as the
> bounty itself. Thanks!

Well, I actually did consider adding this bug on my todo list even before the
bounty was set. When the bounty was added, I decided to not tackle this one
(yet). My reasoning for that was that I'm already an active core developer and
hoped that the bounty would entice others to start contributing or to
contribute more.

It seems we have one candidate now. I'm looking forward to your work Matthijs
even if you can only start to work on it in a while. Please do add a comment
as Christian suggests.

Re: Bounty for a bugfix: Have register window Filter-By settings be saved and restored

Yawar Amin
Hi Christian,

On 2011-06-28, at 03:09, Christian Stimming wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 28. Juni 2011 schrieb Tim M:
>> […]
>
> […]
>
>> Then again, I don't know what other options are out there.
>
> I collected the options here: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Bounty_Program
> The next one to try would be http://www.fossfactory.org/

There’s also Elance, a kind of ‘job board’ for freelancers and people looking to hire them. The site has heavy traffic and a large number of active programming jobs. And I think open source jobs should be just fine, see [1] e.g.

Regards,

Yawar

[1] http://www.elance.com/j/simple-game-ported-from-c-java/24943890/?backurl=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5lbGFuY2UuY29tL3Ivam9icy9xLWMlMjM=

PGP.sig (201 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Bounty for a bugfix

Christian Stimming-4
In case anyone is interested in another feature request sweetened by a bounty:
Some user has volunteered to put a $70 bounty on this one:

http://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-
request/suggestions/1535933-add-the-ability-to-attached-scanned-images-to-
invo?ref=title
"Add the ability to attached scanned images to invoices"

Regards,

Christian