Quantcast

Bayesian import

Omen Nemo
Hi,

I just found the 'bayesian import' option, and was wondering what's the difference with the regular importing.
Are most people happy with it?
In particular, would turning it on erase all the other rules I already have on import?

Thanks!
ON

Re: Bayesian import

Derek Atkins
The Bayesian import option applies to all importers except QIF.
It tells the system to use Bayesian matching algorithms to map
imported transactions to gnucash accounts.  It's a system to
learn new matching rules over time.  I'm not sure what other rules
you might have; I dont think the generic importer remembers anything
else.

-derek

Omen Nemo <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I just found the 'bayesian import' option, and was wondering what's the difference with the regular importing.
> Are most people happy with it?
> In particular, would turning it on erase all the other rules I already have on import?
>
> Thanks!
> ON

Re: Bayesian import

Omen Nemo
> The Bayesian import option applies to all importers except QIF.
> It tells the system to use Bayesian matching algorithms to map
> imported transactions to gnucash accounts.  It's a system to
> learn new matching rules over time.  I'm not sure what other rules
> you might have; I dont think the generic importer remembers anything
> else.

Thanks Derek.
I have "Use bayesian matching" unchecked in my preferences, but the system is definitely using some rules and learning new ones.

If that matters, I've been using gc for about 3 years and recently upgraded to 2.*.
BTW, I noticed that the rules newly learned are now applied within a single import (from ofx).
Before I would assign an account for the first transaction, then cancel the import window, then import again to have the new rule applied. That's cool!

ON

Re: Bayesian import

Omen Nemo <[hidden email]> writes:

>> The Bayesian import option applies to all importers except QIF.
>> It tells the system to use Bayesian matching algorithms to map
>> imported transactions to gnucash accounts.  It's a system to
>> learn new matching rules over time.  I'm not sure what other rules
>> you might have; I dont think the generic importer remembers anything
>> else.
>
> Thanks Derek.
> I have "Use bayesian matching" unchecked in my preferences, but the system is definitely using some rules and learning new ones.

I honestly have no idea what rules the ofx importer will "learn"
if Bayesian Matching is turned off..

> If that matters, I've been using gc for about 3 years and recently upgraded to 2.*.
> BTW, I noticed that the rules newly learned are now applied within a single import (from ofx).
> Before I would assign an account for the first transaction, then cancel the import window, then import again to have the new rule applied. That's cool!
>
> ON

Re: Bayesian import

Ariel-16

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Omen Nemo <[hidden email]> writes:

>> I have "Use bayesian matching" unchecked in my preferences, but the
>> system is definitely using some rules and learning new ones.

> I honestly have no idea what rules the ofx importer will "learn"
> if Bayesian Matching is turned off..

It learns something, when I imported recently it remembered all the stuff
from the last import.

  -Ariel