Basic Questions about custom reports

Eric!
I'm very new to gnucash and I've read everything I can find about creating a custom report, but I'm stuck.

I would like to modify some of the SCM files for generating reports, but I can't figure out how to get GNUCASH to read/execute any of them.

Using the windows 2.2.5 version, I can't locate the config.user file anywhere in the windows installed package.  So I can't change the (load-from-path "/path/to/my/personal/report.scm").

Also, using the pull-down menus, I've made some generic custom reports that get saved in ~/.gnucash/saved-reports-2.0 file.  These are just using the Gnucash API and are useless for what I'm trying to do.  I could cut and paste the scm code into the save-reports-2.0 file, but I think I must be missing something.

I just want to limit the range of dates on a report with a start and stop date, nothing complicated.  If someone could help me understand how the custom reports work on windows gnucash, I think I could figure out how to modify the SCM code.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Basic Questions about custom reports

Tommy Trussell
On 5/29/08, Eric! <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I just want to limit the range of dates on a report with a start and stop
>  date, nothing complicated.  If someone could help me understand how the
>  custom reports work on windows gnucash, I think I could figure out how to
>  modify the SCM code.

which report do you want to modify? On many of the reports, you can
click the Edit Report Options button (on my system the icon has a
little wrench, aka "spanner") on the toolbar when the report is being
displayed.

I'll let others get you started with the custom reports, but I believe
it's a topic in the GnuCash FAQ at http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ

Eric! <[hidden email]> writes:

> Using the windows 2.2.5 version, I can't locate the config.user file
> anywhere in the windows installed package.  So I can't change the
> (load-from-path "/path/to/my/personal/report.scm").

config.user is a user-created file.  It does not exist, you need
to create it.  It should live in ~/.gnucash

> I just want to limit the range of dates on a report with a start and stop
> date, nothing complicated.  If someone could help me understand how the
> custom reports work on windows gnucash, I think I could figure out how to
> modify the SCM code.

They work the same as on any other system.

> Thanks for the help!

Re: Basic Questions about custom reports

Eric!

Ok, so I created the config.user and pointed to a SCM example file
(load-from-path "C:\Program
Files\gnucash\share\gnucash\scm\business-options.scm") and restarted
gnucash, but nothing different seemed to happen in the report pull-down
menus.

Unfortunately knowing nothing about this program, I have no idea what to
expect to happen.

I can generate the custom report that shows up in "saved-reports-2.0" and
just edit that, but I would like to start with someone elses working SCM
file if possible.

Re: Basic Questions about custom reports

Eric!

Derek Atkins wrote
config.user is a user-created file.  It does not exist, you need
to create it.  It should live in ~/.gnucash

They work the same as on any other system.
Thanks for the help.

So how do I get my new SCM file to appear in REPORTS->CUSTOM->NEW REPORT menu?

Eric

Re: Basic Questions about custom reports

Derek Atkins
Quoting Eric! <[hidden email]>:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>>
>> config.user is a user-created file.  It does not exist, you need
>> to create it.  It should live in ~/.gnucash
>>
>> They work the same as on any other system.
>>

> Thanks for the help.
>
> So how do I get my new SCM file to appear in REPORTS->CUSTOM->NEW REPORT
> menu?

It wont appear there.  It will appear where you tell it
to appear in your "gnc:define-report" call.  In particular,
what did you put for the menu-path setting?

Quoting Eric! <[hidden email]>:

> Ok, so I created the config.user and pointed to a SCM example file
> (load-from-path "C:\Program
> Files\gnucash\share\gnucash\scm\business-options.scm") and restarted
> gnucash, but nothing different seemed to happen in the report pull-down
> menus.
>
> Unfortunately knowing nothing about this program, I have no idea what to
> expect to happen.
>
> I can generate the custom report that shows up in "saved-reports-2.0" and
> just edit that, but I would like to start with someone elses working SCM
> file if possible.

Did you remember to change the report GUID and report name in your
new custom report?

Re: Basic Questions about custom reports

Eric!
Derek Atkins wrote
Hi,

Did you remember to change the report GUID and report name in your
new custom report?
I appreciate your patience in answering my stupid questions, but I'm obviously on a level way below you here.  Perhaps I'm not asking the right questions either.  I would like to create a custom report, and I think I can figure out the guts of the SCM file based on others on the web.  However I don't know how to get GC to load it on startup or show it on one of the menus.  I don't know how the GUID works or how the "gc:define-report" should be set up.

But starting at the beginning, should I put my SCM file in ~/.gnucash or somewhere else?

Then should I edit the standard-reports.scm in /gnucash/share/gnucash/guile-modules/gnucash/report to include my new report?  How does the config.user fit into this scheme?

Is there an idiots guide to making your SCM report file run on gnucash somewhere?  I can't seem to find anything other than bits and pieces in the FAQ and on the WIKI.  All I really need to do is set a start and stop date, but the options for the built in reports only offer a stop date.  I want to just look at a month's expense independant of the previous balances.

Re: Basic Questions about custom reports

Derek Atkins
hi,

Quoting Eric! <[hidden email]>:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Did you remember to change the report GUID and report name in your
>> new custom report?
>>

> I appreciate your patience in answering my stupid questions, but I'm
> obviously on a level way below you here.  Perhaps I'm not asking the right
> questions either.  I would like to create a custom report, and I think I can
> figure out the guts of the SCM file based on others on the web.  However I
> don't know how to get GC to load it on startup or show it on one of the
> menus.  I don't know how the GUID works or how the "gc:define-report" should
> be set up.
>
> But starting at the beginning, should I put my SCM file in ~/.gnucash or
> somewhere else?

I'd put it somewhere else.

Have you read http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Custom_Reports yet?

> Is there an idiots guide to making your SCM report file run on gnucash
> somewhere?  I can't seem to find anything other than bits and pieces in the
> FAQ and on the WIKI.  All I really need to do is set a start and stop date,
> but the options for the built in reports only offer a stop date.  I want to
> just look at a month's expense independant of the previous balances.

Define "idiot's guide".

Which report are you starting with?  Are you sure another existing
report wont do what you want?