Backend problem

12

Backend problem

Jazzwineman
   Here is the situation. Have Ubantu/32 box. Backup a number a files to
   make a mirror each day.
   One of the folders is Gnucash with all the files and databases in
   single folder. Works fine on local machine, can open program  and mount
   another computer (Ubantu) and go to data files there and Gnucash works
   fine. Works fine with all versions we are using of Ubantu and a Win XP
   machine.
   Problem is when we created the exact same folder structure and put it
   on a Win 10 Pro 64  creating proper sharing/security structure on Win
   10 machine- when we  attempt to open Gnucash and we get the "no
   suitable backend" error. However when installing on the same win 10
   machine a Gnucash program the files in the same folder open fine.
   Further we can use the win 10 program and map/mount a drive from one of
   the Ubantu boxes and it opens fine.
    All other files On Win 10, such as excel or word will open under Libra
   office quite fine from the ubantu box.
   What are we missing and what gives?

Re: Backend problem

Colin Law
On 22 January 2017 at 20:24, GatwickDP <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    Here is the situation. Have Ubantu/32 box. Backup a number a files to
>    make a mirror each day.
>    One of the folders is Gnucash with all the files and databases in
>    single folder. Works fine on local machine, can open program  and mount
>    another computer (Ubantu) and go to data files there and Gnucash works
>    fine. Works fine with all versions we are using of Ubantu and a Win XP
>    machine.
>    Problem is when we created the exact same folder structure and put it
>    on a Win 10 Pro 64  creating proper sharing/security structure on Win
>    10 machine- when we  attempt to open Gnucash and we get the "no
>    suitable backend" error.

I don't fully understand what you mean by that. Where are you running
Gnucash in the above situation? I assumed you meant you had installed
GC on the Win machine, but then in the first sentence below you say
that if you install GC on the Win machine it works ok.

Please clarify exactly what is the situation that does not work.

Colin

> However when installing on the same win 10
>    machine a Gnucash program the files in the same folder open fine.
>    Further we can use the win 10 program and map/mount a drive from one of
>    the Ubantu boxes and it opens fine.
>     All other files On Win 10, such as excel or word will open under Libra
>    office quite fine from the ubantu box.
>    What are we missing and what gives?

Re: Backend problem

Jazzwineman
The situation is that when we backup to the win10 machine and then on a
ubantu machine  we mount-map the location of the gnucash files that are on
the win10 machine and then on the ubantu machine open up gnucash and attempt
to open the files on the win10 machine- we get the bankend error message.

This does not happen on any other ubantu machine or on a winxp machine.
Purely as a test, I installed gnucash on the win 10 machine and opened the
files that had been stored on the win 10 machine - just to see if they were
corrupt or any such thing and they opened fine. I also ran the gnucash from
win 10 and opened files that were on the ubantu machine and thus the only
problem is getting the silly back-end message when opening the gnucash
program on ubantu and then trying to run the files that are stored on win10.

Re: Backend problem

Jazzwineman
the gnucash files that are on the win10 machine and then on the ubantu machine open up gnucash and attempt to open the files on the win10 machine- we get the bankend error message.

This does not happen on any other ubantu machine or on a winxp machine. Purely as a test, I installed gnucash on the win 10 machine and opened the files that had been stored on the win 10 machine - just to see if they were corrupt or any such thing and they opened fine. I also ran the gnucash from win 10 and opened files that were on the ubantu machine and thus the only problem is getting the silly back-end message when opening the gnucash program on ubantu and then trying to run the files that are stored on win10.

On 22 January 2017 at 20:24, GatwickDP <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    Here is the situation. Have Ubantu/32 box. Backup a number a files to
>    make a mirror each day.
>    One of the folders is Gnucash with all the files and databases in
>    single folder. Works fine on local machine, can open program  and mount
>    another computer (Ubantu) and go to data files there and Gnucash works
>    fine. Works fine with all versions we are using of Ubantu and a Win XP
>    machine.
>    Problem is when we created the exact same folder structure and put it
>    on a Win 10 Pro 64  creating proper sharing/security structure on Win
>    10 machine- when we  attempt to open Gnucash and we get the "no
>    suitable backend" error.

I don't fully understand what you mean by that. Where are you running
Gnucash in the above situation? I assumed you meant you had installed
GC on the Win machine, but then in the first sentence below you say
that if you install GC on the Win machine it works ok.

Please clarify exactly what is the situation that does not work.

Colin

> However when installing on the same win 10
>    machine a Gnucash program the files in the same folder open fine.
>    Further we can use the win 10 program and map/mount a drive from one of
>    the Ubantu boxes and it opens fine.
>     All other files On Win 10, such as excel or word will open under Libra
>    office quite fine from the ubantu box.
>    What are we missing and what gives?

Re: Backend problem

David Carlson-4
It sounds like you are keeping your data files in one of the database
formats but you did not install the database engine in the Ubuntu box that
gives you the error message.

There is more than one way to solve that problem.  The easiest is to switch
to the default compressed XML data format (.gnucash).   The other is to
install the correct database engine for your data type.  I have never done
the latter myself and the wiki was just reorganized so I cannot find the
reference to look at for instructions.  Hopefully someone who uses a
database format in Linux will tell us how to do that.

David C

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 4:48 PM, GatwickDP <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the gnucash files that are on the win10 machine and then on the ubantu
> machine open up gnucash and attempt to open the files on the win10 machine-
> we get the bankend error message.
>
> This does not happen on any other ubantu machine or on a winxp machine.
> Purely as a test, I installed gnucash on the win 10 machine and opened the
> files that had been stored on the win 10 machine - just to see if they were
> corrupt or any such thing and they opened fine. I also ran the gnucash from
> win 10 and opened files that were on the ubantu machine and thus the only
> problem is getting the silly back-end message when opening the gnucash
> program on ubantu and then trying to run the files that are stored on win10.

David Carlson-4 wrote
It sounds like you are keeping your data files in one of the database
formats but you did not install the database engine in the Ubuntu box that
gives you the error message.

There is more than one way to solve that problem.  The easiest is to switch
to the default compressed XML data format (.gnucash).   The other is to
install the correct database engine for your data type.  I have never done
the latter myself and the wiki was just reorganized so I cannot find the
reference to look at for instructions.  Hopefully someone who uses a
database format in Linux will tell us how to do that.

David C

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 4:48 PM, GatwickDP <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the gnucash files that are on the win10 machine and then on the ubantu
> machine open up gnucash and attempt to open the files on the win10 machine-
> we get the bankend error message.
>
> This does not happen on any other ubantu machine or on a winxp machine.
> Purely as a test, I installed gnucash on the win 10 machine and opened the
> files that had been stored on the win 10 machine - just to see if they were
> corrupt or any such thing and they opened fine. I also ran the gnucash from
> win 10 and opened files that were on the ubantu machine and thus the only
> problem is getting the silly back-end message when opening the gnucash
> program on ubantu and then trying to run the files that are stored on win10.

I must be missing something in your suggestion. The original ubantu computers that are being used have zero problems with opening any of the gnucasf files on them, so apparently the database engine has to be correct. Take any of the ubantu machines that have gnucah app on them and they can open the files that are local to that machine or on another networked ubantu or win xp machine. The exact same files are on the win 10 machine and only on that machine does the attempt from a networked ubantu trying to open the files on the win10  do we get the backend error. The files have to be fine when as a test i open then with an app native to win 10 and the win 10 app can open any of the data files of gnucash on any of the other networked ubantu or winp machines . The only problem is that I open gnucash on a ubanu computer and by the network try to open the data files that are on win 10. Other machines See everything fine on win 10 - any other file from any other program will open. Only problem is the gnucash. We are trying to use win10 as a mirror so that if one of the machines holding a number of files and gnucash being only one set, we can just mount the drive from win 10 and go down the road.

Re: Backend problem

Jazzwineman
I must be missing something in your suggestion. The original ubantu computers that are being used have zero problems with opening any of the gnucasf files on them, so apparently the database engine has to be correct. Take any of the ubantu machines that have gnucah app on them and they can open the files that are local to that machine or on another networked ubantu or win xp machine. The exact same files are on the win 10 machine and only on that machine does the attempt from a networked ubantu trying to open the files on the win10  do we get the backend error. The files have to be fine when as a test i open then with an app native to win 10 and the win 10 app can open any of the data files of gnucash on any of the other networked ubantu or winp machines . The only problem is that I open gnucash on a ubanu computer and by the network try to open the data files that are on win 10. Other machines See everything fine on win 10 - any other file from any other program will open. Only problem is the gnucash. We are trying to use win10 as a mirror so that if one of the machines holding a number of files and gnucash being only one set, we can just mount the drive from win 10 and go down the road.

It sounds like you are keeping your data files in one of the database
formats but you did not install the database engine in the Ubuntu box that
gives you the error message.

There is more than one way to solve that problem.  The easiest is to switch
to the default compressed XML data format (.gnucash).   The other is to
install the correct database engine for your data type.  I have never done
the latter myself and the wiki was just reorganized so I cannot find the
reference to look at for instructions.  Hopefully someone who uses a
database format in Linux will tell us how to do that.

David C

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 4:48 PM, GatwickDP <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the gnucash files that are on the win10 machine and then on the ubantu
> machine open up gnucash and attempt to open the files on the win10 machine-
> we get the bankend error message.
>
> This does not happen on any other ubantu machine or on a winxp machine.
> Purely as a test, I installed gnucash on the win 10 machine and opened the
> files that had been stored on the win 10 machine - just to see if they were
> corrupt or any such thing and they opened fine. I also ran the gnucash from
> win 10 and opened files that were on the ubantu machine and thus the only
> problem is getting the silly back-end message when opening the gnucash
> program on ubantu and then trying to run the files that are stored on win10.

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Backend-problem-tp4689079p4689095.html
To unsubscribe from Backend problem, click here.
NAML

http://www.britmail.net - The easy to remember, truly British email address
http://www.britstuff.net - your one stop portal for all things British

Re: Backend problem

GnuCash - User mailing list
Since it sounds as if you are trying to use your Win10 machine as a glorified backup storage location, as long as the file can be moved to a new machine and loaded, what does it matter if you can run it remotely from an ubuntu machine?

> On Jan 23, 2017, at 4:35 AM, GatwickDP <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>   I must be missing something in your suggestion. The original ubantu
>   computers that are being used have zero problems with opening any of
>   the gnucasf files on them, so apparently the database engine has to be
>   correct. Take any of the ubantu machines that have gnucah app on them
>   and they can open the files that are local to that machine or on
>   another networked ubantu or win xp machine. The exact same files are on
>   the win 10 machine and only on that machine does the attempt from a
>   networked ubantu trying to open the files on the win10  do we get the
>   backend error. The files have to be fine when as a test i open then
>   with an app native to win 10 and the win 10 app can open any of the
>   data files of gnucash on any of the other networked ubantu or winp
>   machines . The only problem is that I open gnucash on a ubanu computer
>   and by the network try to open the data files that are on win 10. Other
>   machines See everything fine on win 10 - any other file from any other
>   program will open. Only problem is the gnucash. We are trying to use
>   win10 as a mirror so that if one of the machines holding a number of
>   files and gnucash being only one set, we can just mount the drive from
>   win 10 and go down the road.

Re: Backend problem

Jazzwineman
This is for a client. His office is currently using ubantu. He would have liked to continue with ubantu, but with a 4 yr. lifespan that creates a problem that he does not want to deal with. Since he makes use of Power Term as well and powerterm along with tiny term is not creating future access for their product via the Linux or Mac route, that leaves him in a position to do a turnover to the horrid windows platform. This is the first of these machines that he is testing on what he normally does. In this case he wants to create a backup to a machine and if another one goes down then he can simply mount this one and go on as if nothing has happened. I understand this may be convoluted- however in his filed he has the largest medical practice in DFW and makes the most of any MD in his specialty in DFW and has about 55 computers spread over 3 offices and home. So since he will be moving slowly to Win 10 architecture- this is what he wants. So back to the question- the only scenario that Gnucash is not working correctly is when from a ubantu machine- you open gnucash and pull the files from the mounted win10 machine and get the the backend error message.

Since it sounds as if you are trying to use your Win10 machine as a glorified backup storage location, as long as the file can be moved to a new machine and loaded, what does it matter if you can run it remotely from an ubuntu machine?

> On Jan 23, 2017, at 4:35 AM, GatwickDP <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>   I must be missing something in your suggestion. The original ubantu
>   computers that are being used have zero problems with opening any of
>   the gnucasf files on them, so apparently the database engine has to be
>   correct. Take any of the ubantu machines that have gnucah app on them
>   and they can open the files that are local to that machine or on
>   another networked ubantu or win xp machine. The exact same files are on
>   the win 10 machine and only on that machine does the attempt from a
>   networked ubantu trying to open the files on the win10  do we get the
>   backend error. The files have to be fine when as a test i open then
>   with an app native to win 10 and the win 10 app can open any of the
>   data files of gnucash on any of the other networked ubantu or winp
>   machines . The only problem is that I open gnucash on a ubanu computer
>   and by the network try to open the data files that are on win 10. Other
>   machines See everything fine on win 10 - any other file from any other
>   program will open. Only problem is the gnucash. We are trying to use
>   win10 as a mirror so that if one of the machines holding a number of
>   files and gnucash being only one set, we can just mount the drive from
>   win 10 and go down the road.

I still don’t understand, but since I only use Mac, I don’t think I can be of help to you or your client. Sorry.

Good luck,
David

> On Jan 23, 2017, at 7:15 PM, Jazzwineman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is for a client. His office is currently using ubantu. He would have liked to continue with ubantu, but with a 4 yr. lifespan that creates a problem that he does not want to deal with. Since he makes use of Power Term as well and powerterm along with tiny term is not creating future access for their product via the Linux or Mac route, that leaves him in a position to do a turnover to the horrid windows platform. This is the first of these machines that he is testing on what he normally does. In this case he wants to create a backup to a machine and if another one goes down then he can simply mount this one and go on as if nothing has happened. I understand this may be convoluted- however in his filed he has the largest medical practice in DFW and makes the most of any MD in his specialty in DFW and has about 55 computers spread over 3 offices and home. So since he will be moving slowly to Win 10 architecture- this is what he wants. So back to the question- the only scenario that
>  Gnucash is not working correctly is when from a ubantu machine- you open gnucash and pull the files from the mounted win10 machine and get the the backend error message.

Re: Backend problem

Colin Law
On 23 January 2017 at 14:16, GatwickDP <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is for a client. His office is currently using ubantu. He would have liked to continue with ubantu, but with a 4 yr. lifespan that creates a problem that he does not want to deal with. Since he makes use of Power Term as well and powerterm along with tiny term is not creating future access for their product via the Linux or Mac route, that leaves him in a position to do a turnover to the horrid windows platform. This is the first of these machines that he is testing on what he normally does. In this case he wants to create a backup to a machine and if another one goes down then he can simply mount this one and go on as if nothing has happened. I understand this may be convoluted- however in his filed he has the largest medical practice in DFW and makes the most of any MD in his specialty in DFW and has about 55 computers spread over 3 offices and home. So since he will be moving slowly to Win 10 architecture- this is what he wants. So back to the question- the only scenario th
 at
>   Gnucash is not working correctly is when from a ubantu machine- you open gnucash and pull the files from the mounted win10 machine and get the the backend error message.

Which files are you pulling from the windows machine?

It is Ubuntu by the way.

Colin

Re: Backend problem

Dave H
I think you said Ubuntu is 32 bit and Win 10 64 bit - this may be the crux
of the matter.  You may need to try using a 32 bit or 64 bit OS at both
ends ?

Whats with the Ubuntu 4 year end of life - I dual boot Win 10 and Ubuntu
16.04 and am not aware of any 4 year end of life.  Just assumed I'd keep
upgrading every time they pump out a new version :-)

Cheers Dave H.

On 24 January 2017 at 00:16, GatwickDP <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is for a client. His office is currently using ubantu. He would have
> liked to continue with ubantu, but with a 4 yr. lifespan that creates a
> problem that he does not want to deal with. Since he makes use of Power
> Term as well and powerterm along with tiny term is not creating future
> access for their product via the Linux or Mac route, that leaves him in a
> position to do a turnover to the horrid windows platform. This is the first
> of these machines that he is testing on what he normally does. In this case
> he wants to create a backup to a machine and if another one goes down then
> he can simply mount this one and go on as if nothing has happened. I
> understand this may be convoluted- however in his filed he has the largest
> medical practice in DFW and makes the most of any MD in his specialty in
> DFW and has about 55 computers spread over 3 offices and home. So since he
> will be moving slowly to Win 10 architecture- this is what he wants. So
> back to the question- the only scenario that
>   Gnucash is not working correctly is when from a ubantu machine- you open
> gnucash and pull the files from the mounted win10 machine and get the the
> backend error message.

Re: Backend problem

Dave H
Don't know whether this made it to the list as I just got an error back
from Nabble so reposting :-)

I think you said Ubuntu is 32 bit and Win 10 64 bit - this may be the crux of
the matter.  You may need to try using a 32 bit or 64 bit OS at both ends ?

I dual boot Win 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 (both 64 bit :-) and am not aware of

On 23 January 2017 at 06:24, GatwickDP <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    Here is the situation. Have Ubantu/32 box. Backup a number a files to
>    make a mirror each day.
>    One of the folders is Gnucash with all the files and databases in
>    single folder. Works fine on local machine, can open program  and mount
>    another computer (Ubantu) and go to data files there and Gnucash works
>    fine. Works fine with all versions we are using of Ubantu and a Win XP
>    machine.
>    Problem is when we created the exact same folder structure and put it
>    on a Win 10 Pro 64  creating proper sharing/security structure on Win
>    10 machine- when we  attempt to open Gnucash and we get the "no
>    suitable backend" error. However when installing on the same win 10
>    machine a Gnucash program the files in the same folder open fine.
>    Further we can use the win 10 program and map/mount a drive from one of
>    the Ubantu boxes and it opens fine.
>     All other files On Win 10, such as excel or word will open under Libra
>    office quite fine from the ubantu box.
>    What are we missing and what gives?

Liz

Re: Backend problem

Liz
On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 08:01:20 +1000
Dave H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Whats with the Ubuntu 4 year end of life - I dual boot Win 10 and
> Ubuntu 16.04 and am not aware of any 4 year end of life.  Just
> assumed I'd keep upgrading every time they pump out a new version :-)

Ubuntu has long term support for 4 years on their LTS.

As DaveH notes, it isn 't an end of life.

Ubuntu can be upgraded.

I think there are a lot of things that GatwickDP needs to investigate
before worrying about transferring files for Gnucash.

Liz

Re: Backend problem

Jazzwineman
any of the files that contain the data of accounts.

On 23 January 2017 at 14:16, GatwickDP <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is for a client. His office is currently using ubantu. He would have liked to continue with ubantu, but with a 4 yr. lifespan that creates a problem that he does not want to deal with. Since he makes use of Power Term as well and powerterm along with tiny term is not creating future access for their product via the Linux or Mac route, that leaves him in a position to do a turnover to the horrid windows platform. This is the first of these machines that he is testing on what he normally does. In this case he wants to create a backup to a machine and if another one goes down then he can simply mount this one and go on as if nothing has happened. I understand this may be convoluted- however in his filed he has the largest medical practice in DFW and makes the most of any MD in his specialty in DFW and has about 55 computers spread over 3 offices and home. So since he will be moving slowly to Win 10 architecture- this is what he wants. So back to the question- the only scenario that
>   Gnucash is not working correctly is when from a ubantu machine- you open gnucash and pull the files from the mounted win10 machine and get the the backend error message.

Which files are you pulling from the windows machine?

It is Ubuntu by the way.

Colin

GatwickDP, Your answer is too vague for people here to help you.

If the client is running GnuCash 2.6.11 in 32 bit Ubuntu 12.04 like I am,
and the data file(s) are on a different machine on the LAN like mine are,
it might be necessary to use the file browser to navigate to the LAN
resource to log in to and mount that resource to find the desired file.
Then double-clicking on that file will open it.  In my case, I use data
files in the compressed XML format which has the file suffix .gnucash.  I
think that it would work the same way if your client uses one of the
database formats, but I am not sure because I do not use any of them.  The
only other requirement would be to have the database engine installed in
the Ubuntu computer.  If it does not work for your client, the problem may
be in user technique rather than program capability.

By the way, I am currently testing 64 bit Ubuntu 16.04 to see if it will
work on the computer that currently has the 32 bit release 12.04 on it.  So
far, the newer Ubuntu will run the programs that I use most frequently,
albeit newer releases of many of them.  I doubt that the OS being 32 bit or
64 bit makes any difference to the vast majority of users.

David C

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 5:31 PM, GatwickDP <[hidden email]> wrote:

> any of the files that contain the data of accounts.

RE: Backend problem

ChrisGood
> Message: 11

> Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 15:31:48 -0800
> From: GatwickDP <[hidden email]>
> To: "Colin Law" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>,
> <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Backend problem
>
> any of the files that contain the data of accounts.

Hi Jazzwineman,

I suspect the problem is more to do with how the Windows path is mapped in
Ubuntu. I'd be surprised if it was to do with a 32/64 bit mismatch.
How is it mapped? What's in all the boxes showing the path in the Open
window when you navigate to the directory? What's the actual xxx.gnucash
filename?
Are there any funny characters in the pathname or filename? What country is
this for (if not England)?

Regards, Chris Good

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Backend problem

Jazzwineman
might be as I do not use gnucash. The user will mount the drive (win 10) from Ubuntu and set permissions and log in. All the folders show and are an exact mirror from what is on the Ubuntu machine. There are other files- such as excel, word and from the Ubuntu machine they all open fine from the win 10 machine. Since he has used this on the ubuntu machine in normal operation, I assume he must have the database  engine on the ubuntu machine or it would not work? He is doing pretty much what you are doing except trying to open files from a win 10 machine. This is clearly experimental for him to see what he has to do for the future as well as the present.

On 23 January 2017 at 14:16, GatwickDP <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is for a client. His office is currently using ubantu. He would have liked to continue with ubantu, but with a 4 yr. lifespan that creates a problem that he does not want to deal with. Since he makes use of Power Term as well and powerterm along with tiny term is not creating future access for their product via the Linux or Mac route, that leaves him in a position to do a turnover to the horrid windows platform. This is the first of these machines that he is testing on what he normally does. In this case he wants to create a backup to a machine and if another one goes down then he can simply mount this one and go on as if nothing has happened. I understand this may be convoluted- however in his filed he has the largest medical practice in DFW and makes the most of any MD in his specialty in DFW and has about 55 computers spread over 3 offices and home. So since he will be moving slowly to Win 10 architecture- this is what he wants. So back to the question- the only scenario th
 at
>   Gnucash is not working correctly is when from a ubantu machine- you open gnucash and pull the files from the mounted win10 machine and get the the backend error message.

Which files are you pulling from the windows machine?

It is Ubuntu by the way.

Colin

Chris- Dallas Texas. He is mounting the drive in ubuntu using terminal and we have zero problem with the mount or other files on that drive that have been backed up. The only problem is gnucash. I would have to check on the exact name, but the files are names of accounts and he has number of them.

> any of the files that contain the data of accounts.

Liz

Re: Backend problem

Liz
On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 16:57:08 -0800
GatwickDP <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All the folders show
>    and are an exact mirror from what is on the Ubuntu machine.

This is not possible, an "exact mirror". The windows file systems do
not have the ownerships and permissions of the ext4 or other filesystem
used in linux systems.

Often when something doesn't work in linux it's a permissions problem.

Bluntly, Win10 is not a solution to this person's problem. It opens up
huge problems, as the plan is to store a private database on what is
well reported to be a system which "calls home" repeatedly.

A commercial NAS box, or a home built one, would be a better solution.

Liz
12