Archiving Records To Improve Performance

Archiving Records To Improve Performance

Michael Luderitz
I have been using Gnucash for over 5 years, accumulating all the data in a
single file name. Opening the file and saving it has become more and more
time consuming. Is there a way to archive the prior years so that only one
or two years are carried forward in the active file?

--
"To argue with a man who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

Re: Archiving Records To Improve Performance

Adrien Monteleone
I’m not aware of any such function, but you could make multiple copies named for the year or year ranges you want, then delete all transactions in each that don’t fall in those years.

You’ll then need to edit the opening balances for each account for each file to reflect their ending balances from the prior file.

What might help instead is saving as either sqlite3 or mysql format instead of the default xml. Database versions update instantly, so there is no need to save.

Note, you don’t need to exit from GC if you don’t have to shutdown or logoff.

I leave my copy of GC running along with my computer, for months at a time. The only drawback to this is at present, scheduled transactions are not automatically alerted or generated. You’d have to click the “Since Last Run…” option to trigger them.

> On Jul 8, 2017, at 11:14 AM, Michael Luderitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have been using Gnucash for over 5 years, accumulating all the data in a
> single file name. Opening the file and saving it has become more and more
> time consuming. Is there a way to archive the prior years so that only one
> or two years are carried forward in the active file?
>
> --
> "To argue with a man who has renounced the use of reason is like
> administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

Re: Archiving Records To Improve Performance

Mike or Penny Novack-3
On 7/8/2017 12:14 PM, Michael Luderitz wrote:
> I have been using Gnucash for over 5 years, accumulating all the data in a
> single file name. Opening the file and saving it has become more and more
> time consuming. Is there a way to archive the prior years so that only one
> or two years are carried forward in the active file?

There is no AUTOMATED process to do this. But there is a way to mimic
the "new volumes" from the days of pen and ink on paper in bound books
bookkeeping.

a) Run a "close the books" for the end of the period. Run a Balance
Sheet report. Export/ import your CoA (it will be empty). Make a copy of
the old file as your archive.
b) Enter the opening transaction(s) using the balance sheet balances for
all "standing" accounts (asset, liability, equity). This can be done
with a single transaction (split on both sides) but you might find it
easier to use two each split on just one side << this part of the
process is very much like manually starting a new set of books >>

To look at your historical data, just tell gnucash to open that file
(the archive file). I am always opening gnucash "no file" so get to
choose which file I want opened because I am keeping several sets of
books (and probably DON'T want to open again the one I last had open).
If you have many of these archive files and frequently need to look at
that year (or whatever) you might want to do likewise.

Michael D Novack

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.