AqBanking mt940 import: Incomplete Account numbers

AqBanking mt940 import: Incomplete Account numbers

gnucash-11
Hi everyone

I sent in a patch for AqBanking last week, that has been adopted by Martin Preuss meanwhile, fixing a problem where AqBanking truncates non-numeric account numbers, leading to problems with the account selection of GnuCash (see below for more details).

My question to the GnuCash developers is:  Do you guys update AqBanking with every release or do I have to file a bug in order to have the changes in AqBanking adopted for GnuCash?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards

Ueli

**More details**

After using GnuCash for circa an year now, I frequently had issues importing SWIFT exports from my bank (Raiffeisen Schweiz) into GnuCash:

During an initial import for a given account, GnuCash asked me correctly to select the proper account for the mt940 file. However after doing so, some (not all) SWIFT exports for other accounts have been automatically assigned to this GnuCash account too.

As a work around I started to create a new account and delete the offending one while assigning the transactions to the one just created.

Now I finally found the time to dig into this problem and realized that AQBanking does not always extract the complete account number from the mt940-file.

My mt940 files started with the following sequence of records:

    :20:STARTUMS

    :25:123456.78

    :28:00001

Where the line beginning with :25: denotes the account number. As my bank’s account numbers are composed in a style like <customerid>.<account>, I had multiple accounts starting with “123456” but different digits after the period.

I found that the account number is truncated by AqBanking at the first occurrence of a non-numeric character. Hence it whenever GnuCash queried the account number, it only got the “customer ID” part, that collides of course with multiple accounts.

Martin Preuss added my patch to the master branch of the git repository. However I don’t know yet what Martin’s release plan is.

Re: AqBanking mt940 import: Incomplete Account numbers

John Ralls-2
It depends. On Linux the aqbanking version is up to the distro. On Mac and Windows where we distribute an all-in-one we try to stay up to date with Martin’s *stable* releases, the latest of which which is (according to his download page as I write) 5.6.12, released in July 2016. He has since been doing unstable (“beta”) releases, but the latest of those is 5.7.6beta last March.

Unfortunately you may have a long wait before your patch shows up anywhere.

> On Jan 7, 2018, at 5:24 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi everyone
>

> I sent in a patch for AqBanking last week, that has been adopted by Martin Preuss meanwhile, fixing a problem where AqBanking truncates non-numeric account numbers, leading to problems with the account selection of GnuCash (see below for more details).
>

> My question to the GnuCash developers is:  Do you guys update AqBanking with every release or do I have to file a bug in order to have the changes in AqBanking adopted for GnuCash?
>

> Thank you in advance for your help.
>

> Regards
>
> Ueli
>

> **More details**
>
> After using GnuCash for circa an year now, I frequently had issues importing SWIFT exports from my bank (Raiffeisen Schweiz) into GnuCash:
>
> During an initial import for a given account, GnuCash asked me correctly to select the proper account for the mt940 file. However after doing so, some (not all) SWIFT exports for other accounts have been automatically assigned to this GnuCash account too.
>

> As a work around I started to create a new account and delete the offending one while assigning the transactions to the one just created.
>

> Now I finally found the time to dig into this problem and realized that AQBanking does not always extract the complete account number from the mt940-file.
>
> My mt940 files started with the following sequence of records:
>
>    :20:STARTUMS
>
>    :25:123456.78
>
>    :28:00001
>

> Where the line beginning with :25: denotes the account number. As my bank’s account numbers are composed in a style like <customerid>.<account>, I had multiple accounts starting with “123456” but different digits after the period.
>

> I found that the account number is truncated by AqBanking at the first occurrence of a non-numeric character. Hence it whenever GnuCash queried the account number, it only got the “customer ID” part, that collides of course with multiple accounts.
>

> Martin Preuss added my patch to the master branch of the git repository. However I don’t know yet what Martin’s release plan is.

Re: AqBanking mt940 import: Incomplete Account numbers

Christian Stimming-4
Hi Ueli,

if I understand correctly this question was about the Windows build, right?
I've just updated the windows build to the latest released versions of
gwen/aqbanking. However, your bugfix last week in aqbanking has so far not
been released in an aqbanking version. You need to convince Martin to make an
aqbanking release with your bugfix in. Otherwise gnucash won't pick this up
and you can only build yourself new versions directly from git. Thanks!

Regards,
Christian