Anybody got aqbanking working on OS X?

Jeff Carneal-2

Ok, so like I said, I'm new to gnucash.  I just got around today to
giving the OFX direct connect stuff a shot and I cannot for the life
of me get aqbanking to behave.

I've installed version 2.2.6 of aqbanking and libofx 0.8.3 and qt
3.3.7.  I got everything to compile, but everytime I try to start the
AqHCBI wizard the window for it pops up but is completely
unresponsive.  I cannot select anything, nor click any buttons, nor
even move the window.  It's like it's caught in an infinite loop and
will not accept any user input.  Manually running 'qt3-wizard' does
the same thing, fwiw, so it doesn't appear to be a gnucash problem
but I figured I ask here anyway.

I've tried installing with and without qt thread support and both do
the same thing.  I downgraded to aqbanking 2.2.4 and got the same
result.  I looked at fink and darwinports but the fink version of
aqbanking is something like 1.0 beta and darwinports cannot find an
aqbanking port even though one is listed on their site.

I don't know what else to try at this point.  Any ideas?

Jeff

PS - OS X 10.4.8 with gcc 4.0.1.

Re: Anybody got aqbanking working on OS X?

David Reiser

On 3 Feb 2007, at 10:30:21 PM, Jeff Carneal wrote:

> Ok, so like I said, I'm new to gnucash.  I just got around today to
> giving the OFX direct connect stuff a shot and I cannot for the life
> of me get aqbanking to behave.
>
> I've installed version 2.2.6 of aqbanking and libofx 0.8.3 and qt
> 3.3.7.  I got everything to compile, but everytime I try to start the
> AqHCBI wizard the window for it pops up but is completely
> unresponsive.  I cannot select anything, nor click any buttons, nor
> even move the window.  It's like it's caught in an infinite loop and
> will not accept any user input.  Manually running 'qt3-wizard' does
> the same thing, fwiw, so it doesn't appear to be a gnucash problem
> but I figured I ask here anyway.
>
> I've tried installing with and without qt thread support and both do
> the same thing.  I downgraded to aqbanking 2.2.4 and got the same
> result.  I looked at fink and darwinports but the fink version of
> aqbanking is something like 1.0 beta and darwinports cannot find an
> aqbanking port even though one is listed on their site.

In fink the current version of aqbanking is aqbanking16 (it has been
declared that the suffix number in a library package is to reflect
the library compatibility version...) and it is version 2.2.6. Be
sure to have the crypto branch active, or you might not see it.

I do have it running on my mac (OS X 10.4.8 PPC). I just ran through
the HBCI setup to trigger the Aqbanking wizard, and that also seems
to work properly for me (though I didn't test it much tonight). FTR,
I am also running qt3-3.3.7-1022. The wizard also worked for me in
most (maybe all) of fink's qt3-3.3.6 incarnations. I'm testing
against gnucash 2.0.4, though earlier 2.0.x versions have worked for
me. I also run gnucash trunk against newer aqbanking/ofx (except now
because aqbanking svn doesn't like libofx cvs much...)

I've been using aqbanking for a long time, so maybe there's a first-
time-run glitch?

I have the (mis?)fortune of being the fink maintainer for gnucash2
and most of it's non-gnome dependencies. But I can only test on a
ppc, since I don't have an intel mac.

Be careful of trying to run both macports and fink - they can get in
each others' way.

Today I saw a message on the macports list that a recent batch of
updates has wreaked havoc on some of the gnome libraries. A fix is
expected this week.

> I don't know what else to try at this point.  Any ideas?
>
> Jeff
>
> PS - OS X 10.4.8 with gcc 4.0.1.

Dave
--
David Reiser

Re: Anybody got aqbanking working on OS X?

Jeff Carneal-2

Thanks for the reply David.  Sorry if you got a spam challenge, I
thought I had that turned off on this account but apparently not.  Ack!

On Feb 3, 2007, at 9:53 PM, David Reiser wrote:

> In fink the current version of aqbanking is aqbanking16 (it has
> been declared that the suffix number in a library package is to
> reflect the library compatibility version...) and it is version
> 2.2.6. Be sure to have the crypto branch active, or you might not
> see it.

Ah, that may have been it.

> I do have it running on my mac (OS X 10.4.8 PPC). I just ran
> through the HBCI setup to trigger the Aqbanking wizard, and that
> also seems to work properly for me (though I didn't test it much
> tonight). FTR, I am also running qt3-3.3.7-1022. The wizard also
> worked for me in most (maybe all) of fink's qt3-3.3.6 incarnations.
> I'm testing against gnucash 2.0.4, though earlier 2.0.x versions
> have worked for me. I also run gnucash trunk against newer
> aqbanking/ofx (except now because aqbanking svn doesn't like libofx
> cvs much...)
>
> I've been using aqbanking for a long time, so maybe there's a first-
> time-run glitch?

Well, I don't know.  At first I thought my install of QT was fubar
until I compiled and ran the sample code in the build tree and they
worked fine.  I've compiled and installed every single library and
dependency from scratch in order to facilitate the building of a
native intel DMG later for gnucash.  I'm including the full list of
libs at the bottom of this mail in case you see anything that might
not play well together.

The highlights are:

qt-mac-free-3.3.7/
libofx-0.8.3/
gnucash-2.0.4/
aqbanking-2.2.6/

I did track down the problem to a particular line in src/frontends/
qbanking/lib/qbanking.cpp:

void QBanking::setupDialog(QWidget *parent) {
   QBCfgTabSettings dlg(this, parent, "QBankingSettings");

   dlg.addUsersPage();
   dlg.addAccountsPage();
   dlg.addBackendsPage();
   if (!dlg.toGui()) {
     DBG_ERROR(0, "Could not init dialog");
     return;
   }
   if (dlg.exec()==QDialog::Accepted) {  <------ RIGHT HERE
     dlg.fromGui();
     flagStaff()->accountsUpdated();
   }
}

The problem is I cannot find where the exec member function is
inherited from.  I suppose I need to just step through it with gdb
but I haven't had time yet and my fear is that it will hang on an
external library call.  Never know til you try I guess :)

> I have the (mis?)fortune of being the fink maintainer for gnucash2
> and most of it's non-gnome dependencies. But I can only test on a
> ppc, since I don't have an intel mac.

Ooh man, tough job.  Maybe you can help me build an actual DMG
installer then.

> Be careful of trying to run both macports and fink - they can get
> in each others' way.

Yeah, I don't.  I've got two separate machines and I run macports on
one and I tried fink on the other.

> Today I saw a message on the macports list that a recent batch of
> updates has wreaked havoc on some of the gnome libraries. A fix is
> expected this wee

Well I doubt it affects me on this particular box since I compiled
from scratch ;)  Here is the list of stuff I built, fwiw.  Let me
know if you spot anything funny:

GConf-2.16.0/
GConf-2.9.91/
ORBit2-2.14.5/
OpenSP-1.5.2/
aqbanking-2.2.6/
atk-1.13.1/
audiofile-0.2.6/
cairo-1.2.6/
cairomm-1.2.4/
dbus-1.0.2/
dbus-glib-0.72/
docbookx412/
esound-0.2.36/
esound-0.2.8/
expat-2.0.0/
fontconfig-2.4.2/
freetype-2.3.0/
g-wrap-1.3.4/
g-wrap-1.9.7/
gail-1.10.1/
gal-2.5.3/
gconfmm-2.16.0/
gettext-0.16/
glade-2.12.1/
glade3-3.1.4/
glib-1.2.10/
glib-2.12.9/
glibmm-2.13.3/
gmp-4.2.1/
gnome-desktop-2.17.90/
gnome-doc-utils-0.8.0/
gnome-icon-theme-2.17.90/
gnome-keyring-0.7.3/
gnome-menus-2.17.5/
gnome-mime-data-2.4.3/
gnome-panel-2.17.90/
gnome-vfs-2.17.90/
gnucash-2.0.4/
gnucash-docs-2.0.1/
goffice-0.2.1/
gtk+-2.10.9/
gtkhtml-3.13.6/
gtkmm-2.10.6/
guile-1.6.8/
guile-1.8.1/
gwenhywfar-2.5.2/
icon-naming-utils-0.8.1/
libIDL-0.8.7/
libXft-2.1.12/
libart_lgpl-2.3.17/
libbonoboui-2.17.90/
libchipcard3-3.0.2/
libglade-2.0.1/
libglade-2.6.0/
libgnome-2.17.90/
libgnomecanvas-2.14.0/
libgnomecups-0.2.2/
libgnomemm-2.16.0/
libgnomeprint-2.17.0/
libgnomeprintui-2.17.0/
libgnomeui-2.0.6/
libgnomeui-2.17.90/
libgsf-1.14.3/
libgtkhtml-2.11.0/
libofx-0.8.3/
libpanelappletmm-2.6.0/
libpng-1.2.15/
libsigc++-2.0.16/
libwnck-2.16.2/
libxml2-2.6.27/
libxslt-1.1.20/
mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.9/
mozilla-xulrunner-1.8.0.4/
neon-0.26.2/
pango-1.15.4/
pkg-config-0.21/
popt-1.7/
qt-mac-free-3.3.7/
readline-5.2/
render-0.8/
renderext-0.9/
scrollkeeper-0.3.14/
slib-3a3/
startup-notification-0.8/
swig-1.3.31/
tiff-3.8.2/
xproto-6.6.2/
xrender-0.8.2/
yelp/

On 6 Feb 2007, at 5:38:30 PM, Jeff Carneal wrote:

> Thanks for the reply David.  Sorry if you got a spam challenge, I
> thought I had that turned off on this account but apparently not.
> Ack!

Didn't notice one, maybe my system filed it for me...

> On Feb 3, 2007, at 9:53 PM, David Reiser wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>
> Well, I don't know.  At first I thought my install of QT was fubar
> until I compiled and ran the sample code in the build tree and they
> worked fine.  I've compiled and installed every single library and
> dependency from scratch in order to facilitate the building of a
> native intel DMG later for gnucash.  I'm including the full list of
> libs at the bottom of this mail in case you see anything that might
> not play well together.
>
> The highlights are:
>
> qt-mac-free-3.3.7/

I have a vague recollection that I tried the qt-mac variant but had
to go back to the nondenominational unix version. But that was about
a year ago, so it  could have been my ineptitude rather than
incompatibilities with aqbanking. OTOH, I'm sure Martin Preuss isn't
testing with the native mac qt3...

But I have to admit it would be cool if the native mac gtk+ and qt-
mac both came through and we could combine it all with gnucash.

> libofx-0.8.3/
> gnucash-2.0.4/
> aqbanking-2.2.6/
>
> I did track down the problem to a particular line in src/frontends/
> qbanking/lib/qbanking.cpp:
>
> void QBanking::setupDialog(QWidget *parent) {
>   QBCfgTabSettings dlg(this, parent, "QBankingSettings");
>
>   dlg.addUsersPage();
>   dlg.addAccountsPage();
>   dlg.addBackendsPage();
>   if (!dlg.toGui()) {
>     DBG_ERROR(0, "Could not init dialog");
>     return;
>   }
>   if (dlg.exec()==QDialog::Accepted) {  <------ RIGHT HERE
>     dlg.fromGui();
>     flagStaff()->accountsUpdated();
>   }
> }
>
> The problem is I cannot find where the exec member function is
> inherited from.  I suppose I need to just step through it with gdb
> but I haven't had time yet and my fear is that it will hang on an
> external library call.  Never know til you try I guess :)
>

>> I have the (mis?)fortune of being the fink maintainer for gnucash2
>> and most of it's non-gnome dependencies. But I can only test on a
>> ppc, since I don't have an intel mac.
>
> Ooh man, tough job.  Maybe you can help me build an actual DMG
> installer then.

Hmm. Glad to help if I can. But I'm still mostly just a motivated
user rather than a knowledgeable developer.

> [snip]  Here is the list of stuff I built, fwiw.  Let me know if
> [...]

Your versions are notably newer than mine in many cases. (I'm
particularly annoyed at being stuck on gtk+ 2.6, but it looks like
the fink folk are finally dealing with the fallout of needing to
update cairo and everything that depends on it.) About the only
things I've built outside of fink besides gnucash itself are
aqbanking, gwenhywfar, libofx, g-wrap, and swig.

Dave
--
David Reiser

On Feb 9, 2007, at 4:31 PM, Dave Reiser wrote:

> Jeff Carneal wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a vague recollection that I tried the qt-mac variant but
>>> had to go back to the nondenominational unix version. But that
>>> was about a year ago, so it  could have been my ineptitude rather
>>> than incompatibilities with aqbanking. OTOH, I'm sure Martin
>>> Preuss isn't testing with the native mac qt3...
>> So is he/you using the straight X11 qt sources then?
>
> Yes. We both use the straight X11 qt sources. I'm pretty sure I
> successfully used the X11 version compiled outside fink for a
> while. I've switched back to the fink version since I need to be
> sure it will work anyway.

Ok, that's almost certainly the problem then.  I just installed
gnucash 2.0.4 via macports on my macbook and aqbanking works there,
but is clearly using X11 style widgets.  The one I compiled actually
pops up with all aqua elements and looks sweet but won't do anything
but sit and look pretty.

> g-wrap 1.9.7 is a very recent incarnation, and I don't believe any
> of the devels have tried it -- gnucash svn trunk uses swig instead.
> g-wrap for gnucash is definitely lame duck. By mid year it should
> be gone entirely from the dependency list. (Anything later than
> 2.0.x will have a tarball prepared using swig, but which should not
> require swig for compilation from those tarballs. Stay tuned for
> the actual testing of that assumption...)

That will be a welcome change, for sure.

I've also noticed the version from macports on my macbook is more
responsive on certain things, and I don't think it has the same
reproducible crash.  If I can't get trunk to compile I may just stick
with it until these libraries get updated in fink or macports,
because there is definitely some flakiness being introduced by them.

Thanks for your help on this.

Jeff