Announcement: GnuCash 2.6.13 Release 2016-06-28

12

Announcement: GnuCash 2.6.13 Release 2016-06-28

John Ralls-2
The GnuCash development team announces GnuCash 2.6.13, the twelfth maintenance release in the 2.6-stable series. Please take the tour of all the new features.
Changes

Between 2.6.12 and 2.6.13, the following bugfixes were accomplished:

    Bug 637004 - Optionally allow customer and vendor address info to display.
    Bug 736352 - Expense Voucher adds tax automatically.
    Bug 748983 - Crash after opening money transfer dialog twice.
    Bug 760021 - File "Save As" to an existing file...overwrites without warning.
    Bug 761672 - Transfer made to placeholder account.
    Bug 764248 - saved-reports-2.4-backup line endings unconventional.
    Bug 764871 - Crash starting gnu cash.
    Bug 765859 - The budget reports missing in Hungarian edition
    Bug 766028 - crash on manual addition of price entry in Price Editor.
    Bug 766200 - Three-up printing does not position the third check properly. A few bugs in the calculation of check positions while printing checks have been corrected. If you manually edited the check formats to compensate for these positioning errors in previous versions of gnucash, you may have to undo these changes. Please check this before printing your next check.
    Bug 766688 - Minimal fraction of BYN should be 1/100.
    Bug 766960 - gnucash-make-guids fails to run due to hardcoded paths.
    Bug 767824 - Some UTC timezones incorrectly recognized on Windows 7

Some other fixes not associated with reported bugs:

    The gnc_gui_refresh_all statement in gnc_book_options_dialog_apply_cb causes the 'apply' and 'OK' buttons to be set to sensitive on the open Book Options dialog in some circumstances; this commit causes them to be reset to insensitive, as they should be.
    Check printing: make logic easier to follow.
    Fix adjust_sql_option_string test on Windows.
    Don't try to compile test_adjust_sql_options on windows, it won't link.
    Fix the CMake build by linking gnc-backend-dbi for test-backend-dbi.
    Improved adjust_sql_options_string, added tests.
    Improve quickfill performance on huge registers.
    Mac Localization: Prefer the country to the language for fall-back locales, on the theory that in countries where multiple languages are in use similar date and number formats will apply regardless of language, and especially that the default currency will be the same regardless of language. Also ensure that the specified language is in the list passed to gettext; the net effect of which is that the user will effectively get the requested localization behavior.
    Update README to refer to wiki Submitting_Patches and regarding pull request policy.

Translation Updates: Dutch, Russian, Serbian

Standard Chart-of-Accounts Localizations Updates: Finnish, Sweden_Finnish, and Åland Islands Finnish.
Important update notification

If you are updating from gnucash 2.6.0-2.6.4 on linux, you are advised to remove the guile user cache or several parts of gnucash may fail to work properly. This user cache can be found in .cache/guile/ccache/2.0-LE-8-2.0/ in your home directory. It's safe to remove the whole contents of this directory.

Note .cache is a hidden folder in your home directory. You may have to change your file manager's settings in order to view hidden files and folders.
Documentation

Concurrent with the release of Gnucash 2.6.13 we're pleased to also release a new version 2.6.13 of the companion Help and Tutorial and Concepts Guide.

    Fix the very stale Release Schedule link in the Guide.
    Bug 637004 - Document Payable/Receivable Aging Rpts and new options for allowing customer and vendor address info to display.
    Fix unclear statement re docbook stylesheets in README.
    Bug 712764 - Clarify Account type designations in the Tutorial.
    Bug 751686 - Explain how to use Find Transaction to report per-employee.
    Bug 754239 - Fix order of Report menu items.
    Bug 754239 - Update Report menu item names to Save Report Configuration.
    Bug 765131 - Document Investment Return of Capital in the Guide.

Getting GnuCash for Windows and MacOS X

GnuCash is provided for both Microsoft Windows XP® and later and MacOS X 10.5 (Leopard)® and later in pre-built, all-in-one packages. An installer is provided for Microsoft Windows® while the MacOS X® package is disk image containing a drag-and-drop application bundle.

    SourceForge:
        Win32
        Intel
        PPC
    Github
        Win32
        Intel
        PPC
    Getting GnuCash as source code

    If you want to compile GnuCash 2.6.13 for yourself, the source code can be downloaded from:
        Sourceforge: bzip2, all files.
        Github: gzip
        You can also checkout the sources directly from the git repository as described here.

    To compile GnuCash from the source code by yourself, you will need at least Gnome 2, Guile, and slib. In addition you will need swig if compiling from git. Please consult the README file in the sources for the exact list of dependencies and versions.
    Getting the documentation

    The documentation is available at Documentation page of the GnuCash website. The 2.6.13 documentation can be found under "GnuCash v2.6 (current stable release)" in multiple languages both for reading online and for download in pdf, epub, and mobi formats.

    If you want to compile the GnuCash Documentation 2.6.13 for yourself, the source code can be downloaded from:
        Sourceforge or GitHub
        You can also checkout the sources directly from the git repository as described here.
    About the Program

    GnuCash is a free, open source accounting program released under the GNU General Public License (GPL) and available for GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris, Mac OSX and Microsoft Windows. Programming on GnuCash began in 1997, and its first stable release was in 1998.

Setting up an investment account

Elmarts
I am trying to set up an investment account that has an opening balance
of "x" shares at "y" price resulting in "z" cash value.  But when I
enter the actual price per share and the number of shares into the
mutual fund line, GC forces the share price to 1 rather than what I
entered and teh number of shares to the cash equivalent.  Why does GC do
this and how can I get it to let me insert the price per share? - Elmar

- Elmar
GnuCash 2.6.12
Linux Mint 18 Sarah 32-bit
Kernel Linux 4.4.0-34-generic i686
MATE 1.14.1

Re: Setting up an investment account

Derek Atkins-3
Did you set the commodity on the account to your stock/fund?

-derek

Sent on my mobile. Please forgive any typos.

Re: Setting up an investment account

Elmarts
Yes - it is set as a mutual fund

MATE 1.14.1

On 7/25/2016 5:33 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Did you set the commodity on the account to your stock/fund?
>
> -derek
>
> Sent on my mobile. Please forgive any typos.

To be specific, this is the federal Thrift Savings Plan, and
specifically the L-income fund, so I have no idea what the "commodity"
is or how to set it.  All I see under "edit account" that might apply is
"smallest fraction - use commodity  value".

MATE 1.14.1

To be specific, this is the federal Thrift Savings Plan, and
specifically the L-income fund, so I have no idea what the "commodity"
is or how to set it.  All I see under "edit account" that might apply is
"smallest fraction - use commodity  value".

On 7/25/2016 6:02 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> So account type is mutual fund and the account commodity is....???
>
> -derek
>
> Sent on my mobile. Please forgive any typos.

Mutual Fund

- elmar

MATE 1.14.1

Re: Setting up an investment account

Derek Atkins-3
Hi,

I'm back at a keyboard now.

So if your "Account Type" has "Mutual Fund" selected, then up in the
Identification section of the Edit Account  dialog should have a
Security/currency selected -- what is in that box?  My guess is that it's
USD, which would cause your issue.  If it's NOT USD, then what exactly
does it say?

-derek

On Mon, July 25, 2016 7:55 pm, Elmar Schmeisser wrote:

> Mutual Fund
>
> - elmar
>
> On 7/25/2016 7:44 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Under Edit Account, what is the Account Type?
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> Sent on my mobile. Please forgive any typos.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: Setting up an investment account

Elmarts
Your reply fills me with hope - yes, it says USD.  But if I select, say,
FUND, and go to "new"  I hit a dead end.  TSP L-income has no symbol and
no code that I am aware of, nor any quote source.  See
http://www.tspfolio.com/tsplincomefund

I also see "Warning:Finance::Quote not installed properly" - Elmar

MATE 1.14.1

On Mon, July 25, 2016 8:47 pm, Elmar Schmeisser wrote:
> Your reply fills me with hope - yes, it says USD.  But if I select, say,
> FUND, and go to "new"  I hit a dead end.  TSP L-income has no symbol

then make one up...

>       and
> no code that I am aware of, nor any quote source.  See
> http://www.tspfolio.com/tsplincomefund

Again, not an issue.  It's not a requirement.

> I also see "Warning:Finance::Quote not installed properly" - Elmar

Also not an issue; a warning you can safely ignore.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: Setting up an investment account

David Reiser-4
The link you included shows a “quote” for 7/25/2016. And there’s a link on that page to get updates via email. Since the instrument is a fund of funds, and doesn’t have a traditional presence in the market, it isn’t surprising that a quote source isn’t available outside the managing organization. You’ll probably have to make up a commodity, and enter “quotes” into the price database manually.
--
Dave Reiser
[hidden email]

> On Jul 25, 2016, at 8:47 PM, Elmar Schmeisser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Your reply fills me with hope - yes, it says USD.  But if I select, say,
> FUND, and go to "new"  I hit a dead end.  TSP L-income has no symbol and
> no code that I am aware of, nor any quote source.  See
> http://www.tspfolio.com/tsplincomefund
>
> I also see "Warning:Finance::Quote not installed properly" - Elmar
>
> On 7/25/2016 8:31 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm back at a keyboard now.
>>
>> So if your "Account Type" has "Mutual Fund" selected, then up in the
>> Identification section of the Edit Account  dialog should have a
>> Security/currency selected -- what is in that box?  My guess is that it's
>> USD, which would cause your issue.  If it's NOT USD, then what exactly
>> does it say?
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> On Mon, July 25, 2016 7:55 pm, Elmar Schmeisser wrote:
>>> Mutual Fund
>>>
>>> - elmar

OK - I entered TSP for symbol, etc. and behold!  the OK lights up :)

But now it gets complicated once I am past that stop point.

Now I am lost again.  I think I want to put in equity:opening balances
the cash value of the fund as of the end of last year, and in the TSP
account, use that cash to buy the correct number of shares and the
correct price for 1JAN16.  But GC goes totally weird on me at this
point, seeing the beginning balance as shares rather than money, and
adding a whole bunch of splits that make no sense to my ignorant mind.
Obviously I am missing something fundamental here ...

- Elmar

MATE 1.14.1

Re: Setting up an investment account

David Reiser-4
Accounts can have only one commodity. So you’ll either have to make the opening balance in TSP as shares or create another account in dollars which you can then use to buy shares in the TSP account. Since your opening balance as of Jan 1 was actually shares in that account, why not record it that way? You’ll want to enter a price in the Price Editor under Tools for Jan 1 also, so that you can evaluate the balance then.

There are a couple oddities with report settings to get the reports to use the most appropriate share price (one of the reasons to add the Jan 1 price to the Price Editor).

Dave

On Mon, July 25, 2016 9:29 pm, Elmar Schmeisser wrote:

> OK - I entered TSP for symbol, etc. and behold!  the OK lights up :)
>
> But now it gets complicated once I am past that stop point.
>
> Now I am lost again.  I think I want to put in equity:opening balances
> the cash value of the fund as of the end of last year, and in the TSP
> account, use that cash to buy the correct number of shares and the
> correct price for 1JAN16.  But GC goes totally weird on me at this
> point, seeing the beginning balance as shares rather than money, and
> adding a whole bunch of splits that make no sense to my ignorant mind.
> Obviously I am missing something fundamental here ...

Yeah...  So enter it in from the fund account.  When you enter it in, only
enter in TWO of the three options (#shares, price, value).  GnuCash will
compute the third for you.  Note that GnuCash only stores the #shares and
Value; the price is computed on the fly so it may, due to rounding, change
from what you enter.

So for your opening balance, I would suggest you enter in the #shares and
total value as of Jan 1 as a transaction from Equity:Opening Balances.

> - Elmar

-derek

> On 7/25/2016 8:56 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, July 25, 2016 8:47 pm, Elmar Schmeisser wrote:
>>> Your reply fills me with hope - yes, it says USD.  But if I select,
>>> say,
>>> FUND, and go to "new"  I hit a dead end.  TSP L-income has no symbol
>>
>> then make one up...
>>
>>>       and
>>> no code that I am aware of, nor any quote source.  See
>>> http://www.tspfolio.com/tsplincomefund
>>
>> Again, not an issue.  It's not a requirement.
>>
>>> I also see "Warning:Finance::Quote not installed properly" - Elmar
>>
>> Also not an issue; a warning you can safely ignore.
>>
>> -derek

Elmar,
I suspect Derek is right; that is, your account, while set as a mutual fund type, is not set as a commodity.
You will need to create a commodity first, and then assign it to the account. For a regular mutual fund, you would identify it by its code, but with the TSP plan, you would simply create a dummy commodity entry. Be sure not to tick the Get online quotes button.
To update the share value, you will need to update manually in the price database.
HTH, David

  On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 5:31, Derek Atkins<[hidden email]> wrote:   Hi,

I'm back at a keyboard now.

So if your "Account Type" has "Mutual Fund" selected, then up in the
Identification section of the Edit Account  dialog should have a
Security/currency selected -- what is in that box?  My guess is that it's
USD, which would cause your issue.  If it's NOT USD, then what exactly
does it say?

-derek

On Mon, July 25, 2016 7:55 pm, Elmar Schmeisser wrote:

> Mutual Fund
>
> - elmar
>
> On 7/25/2016 7:44 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Under Edit Account, what is the Account Type?
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> Sent on my mobile. Please forgive any typos.

      Derek Atkins                617-623-3745
      [hidden email]            www.ihtfp.com

Re: Setting up an investment account

Elmarts
It seems odd to have in the Opening balances list entries in both
dollars (for most of the accounts) and shares for the investment
accounts.  OTOH, I guess I could create a dummy account called something
like "investment funds" in assets, and put an opening balance dated
31DEC15 in that which sums all the funds used to buy the shares in all
the various investments (I started using GC on Jan 1 this year, so there
are no entries before 31DEC15).  Then do a buy on 01/01/2016 in the
actual investment account using some of those those funds.  Would that
work as expected?

For this particular investment, since I am retired, I can no longer buy
new shares in TSP, but I get price updates quarterly.  It doesn't seem
that I can track/graph the share price and/or total value over time in
QC if the only way to update the price is to change it in the entry, or ?

- elmar

On 7/25/2016 9:42 PM, David Reiser wrote:

> Accounts can have only one commodity. So you’ll either have to make
> the opening balance in TSP as shares or create another account in
> dollars which you can then use to buy shares in the TSP account.
> Since your opening balance as of Jan 1 was actually shares in that
> account, why not record it that way? You’ll want to enter a price in
> the Price Editor under Tools for Jan 1 also, so that you can evaluate
> the balance then.
>
> There are a couple oddities with report settings to get the reports
> to use the most appropriate share price (one of the reasons to add
> the Jan 1 price to the Price Editor).
>
> Dave

<rest snipped>
- Elmar
GnuCash 2.6.12
Linux Mint 18 Sarah 32-bit
Kernel Linux 4.4.0-34-generic i686
MATE 1.14.1

Re: Setting up an investment account

    Actually it is correct to have your security accounts denominated in shares of the security rather than in your currency (US dollars).
However, please re-read the section of the help tutorial investments section on buying investments.  It would be better to start with an opening balance of zero shares in the investment share account and then pretend to buy all the shares on December 31st of the previous year at the value per share from your year end statement.
Rather than create some dummy account use Equity:Opening Balances as your currency transfer account.
Have fun.
David C
Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE, an AT&T 4G LTE tablet

------ Original message------From: Elmar SchmeisserDate: Tue, Jul 26, 2016 6:25 AMTo: David Reiser;Cc: GNU Cash User;Derek Atkins;Subject:Re: Setting up an investment account
It seems odd to have in the Opening balances list entries in bothdollars (for most of the accounts) and shares for the investmentaccounts.  OTOH, I guess I could create a dummy account called somethinglike "investment funds" in assets, and put an opening balance dated31DEC15 in that which sums all the funds used to buy the shares in allthe various investments (I started using GC on Jan 1 this year, so thereare no entries before 31DEC15).  Then do a buy on 01/01/2016 in theactual investment account using some of those those funds.  Would thatwork as expected?For this particular investment, since I am retired, I can no longer buynew shares in TSP, but I get price updates quarterly.  It doesn't seemthat I can track/graph the share price and/or total value over time inQC if the only way to update the price is to change it in the entry, or ?- elmarOn 7/25/2016 9:42 PM, David Reiser wrote:> Accounts can have only one commodity. So you’ll either have to make> the opening balance in TSP as shares or create another account in> dollars which you can then use to buy shares in the TSP account.> Since your opening balance as of Jan 1 was actually shares in that> account, why not record it that way? You’ll want to enter a price in> the Price Editor under Tools for Jan 1 also, so that you can evaluate> the balance then.> > There are a couple oddities with report settings to get the reports> to use the most appropriate share price (one of the reasons to add> the Jan 1 price to the Price Editor).> > Dave_______________________________________________gnucash-user mailing [hidden email]://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user-----Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: Setting up an investment account

Keep in mind this is double-entry, so it all depends on which side of
the transaction you look.  From the EQUITY side it's the value of the
investment that matters.  From the STOCK/FUND side it's the number of
shares AND the value that matters.  So technically you don't need a
dummy account; you can create a transaction (from the FUND register)
directly from Equity:O-B.

It looks like you have trading accounts turned on.  It also looks like
there may be a rounding issue there.

Moreover, the Imblance-USD line can disappear.

Honestly, you should enter this transaction manually in one easy step in
your mutual fund register in basic-ledger mode:

Date      Desc                Account                      shares            buy
1/1 [tab] share balance [tab] Equity:Opening Balance [tab] <num> [tab] [tab] <total value> [return]

-derek

Elmar Schmeisser <[hidden email]> writes:

> It seems odd to have in the Opening balances list entries in both
> dollars (for most of the accounts) and shares for the investment
> accounts.  OTOH, I guess I could create a dummy account called something
> like "investment funds" in assets, and put an opening balance dated
> 31DEC15 in that which sums all the funds used to buy the shares in all
> the various investments (I started using GC on Jan 1 this year, so there
> are no entries before 31DEC15).  Then do a buy on 01/01/2016 in the
> actual investment account using some of those those funds.  Would that
> work as expected?
>
> For this particular investment, since I am retired, I can no longer buy
> new shares in TSP, but I get price updates quarterly.  It doesn't seem
> that I can track/graph the share price and/or total value over time in
> QC if the only way to update the price is to change it in the entry, or ?
>
> - elmar
>
> On 7/25/2016 9:42 PM, David Reiser wrote:
>> Accounts can have only one commodity. So you’ll either have to make
>> the opening balance in TSP as shares or create another account in
>> dollars which you can then use to buy shares in the TSP account.
>> Since your opening balance as of Jan 1 was actually shares in that
>> account, why not record it that way? You’ll want to enter a price in
>> the Price Editor under Tools for Jan 1 also, so that you can evaluate
>> the balance then.
>>
>> There are a couple oddities with report settings to get the reports
>> to use the most appropriate share price (one of the reasons to add
>> the Jan 1 price to the Price Editor).
>>
>> Dave
>
> <rest snipped>

Re: Setting up an investment account

Elmarts
I understand the double entry, which is why have have an account for
invested cash with which to buy the shares I hold.  I have the shares
set to trade at 1/10000, which should be enough decimal places (shares
are reported to 4 places). I can set the accounts screen to show "total
(USD)" as well as "total", so I see value as well as shares, so that is
no problem.

How do I turn trading accounts off since that is what seems to be
messing up my entry?  You seem to want me to tab over the price column,
and put the dollar value in the buy column right? Whenever I try to
remove the imbalance line (remove split), GC will not allow me to leave
the transaction and pops up the rebalance window again, and again, and
again ....

- Elmar