Alphavantage not an option in unknown online source list

Alphavantage not an option in unknown online source list

Elias K Gardner
Hey there. I've followed the directions on the wiki for switching my online
quotes from Yahoo! to Alphavantage but in the security editor alphavantage
does not show up under unknown sources. What have I done wrong?

I got an Alphavantage API key and I added ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=##############
(with the actual key instead of #s) to my environment file
(/etc/gnucash/environment).
This is gnucash 2.6.17 with finance::quote 1.47 on ubuntu 17.10.

Re: Alphavantage not an option in unknown online source list

Fross, Michael
While this doesn't answer your question, I switched to Alphavantage without
issue, but then switched to yahoo_json as it's much faster.  I assume it
will go away at some point and I'll have to switch back to Alphavantage.

I'm currently running on Windows and it's available in unknown sources so
I'm not much help there.

Michael

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 11:41 AM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey there. I've followed the directions on the wiki for switching my online
> quotes from Yahoo! to Alphavantage but in the security editor alphavantage
> does not show up under unknown sources. What have I done wrong?
>
> I got an Alphavantage API key and I added ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=#########
> #####
> (with the actual key instead of #s) to my environment file
> (/etc/gnucash/environment).
> This is gnucash 2.6.17 with finance::quote 1.47 on ubuntu 17.10.

Re: Alphavantage not an option in unknown online source list

Elias K Gardner
Thanks Michael, yahoo_json does not show up in my unknown sources either. I
wonder if that is related to my problem.

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 1:17 PM Fross, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While this doesn't answer your question, I switched to Alphavantage
> without issue, but then switched to yahoo_json as it's much faster.  I
> assume it will go away at some point and I'll have to switch back to
> Alphavantage.
>
> I'm currently running on Windows and it's available in unknown sources so
> I'm not much help there.
>
> Michael
>
> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 11:41 AM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey there. I've followed the directions on the wiki for switching my
>> online
>> quotes from Yahoo! to Alphavantage but in the security editor alphavantage
>> does not show up under unknown sources. What have I done wrong?
>>
>> I got an Alphavantage API key and I added
>> ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=##############
>> (with the actual key instead of #s) to my environment file
>> (/etc/gnucash/environment).
>> This is gnucash 2.6.17 with finance::quote 1.47 on ubuntu 17.10.

Re: Alphavantage not an option in unknown online source list

Derek Atkins-3
What version of F::Q do you have installed?

-derek
Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.

On January 1, 2018 1:45:51 PM Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Michael, yahoo_json does not show up in my unknown sources either. I
> wonder if that is related to my problem.
>
> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 1:17 PM Fross, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> While this doesn't answer your question, I switched to Alphavantage
>> without issue, but then switched to yahoo_json as it's much faster.  I
>> assume it will go away at some point and I'll have to switch back to
>> Alphavantage.
>>
>> I'm currently running on Windows and it's available in unknown sources so
>> I'm not much help there.
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 11:41 AM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey there. I've followed the directions on the wiki for switching my
>>> online
>>> quotes from Yahoo! to Alphavantage but in the security editor alphavantage
>>> does not show up under unknown sources. What have I done wrong?
>>>
>>> I got an Alphavantage API key and I added
>>> ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=##############
>>> (with the actual key instead of #s) to my environment file
>>> (/etc/gnucash/environment).
>>> This is gnucash 2.6.17 with finance::quote 1.47 on ubuntu 17.10.

>>> -----

Re: Alphavantage not an option in unknown online source list

Elias K Gardner
gnc-fq-check returns 1.47 as the first value in quotes I believe this means
I have version 1.47.

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 1:47 PM Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What version of F::Q do you have installed?
>
> -derek
> Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.
>

> On January 1, 2018 1:45:51 PM Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Michael, yahoo_json does not show up in my unknown sources
> either. I
> > wonder if that is related to my problem.
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 1:17 PM Fross, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> While this doesn't answer your question, I switched to Alphavantage
> >> without issue, but then switched to yahoo_json as it's much faster.  I
> >> assume it will go away at some point and I'll have to switch back to
> >> Alphavantage.
> >>
> >> I'm currently running on Windows and it's available in unknown sources
> so
> >> I'm not much help there.
> >>
> >> Michael

> alphavantage

Re: Alphavantage not an option in unknown online source list

I think Yahoo_json is under the Single source tab in the get quotes section
of the security editor.  In GnuCash 2.6.18 Windows Alpha Vantage is the
second choice under Other.  I have not investigated updating Finance:Quote
in Linux yet, but as is mentioned in the wiki, it probably needs to be
updated separately from GnuCash.

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 12:45 PM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Michael, yahoo_json does not show up in my unknown sources either. I
> wonder if that is related to my problem.
>
> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 1:17 PM Fross, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > While this doesn't answer your question, I switched to Alphavantage
> > without issue, but then switched to yahoo_json as it's much faster.  I
> > assume it will go away at some point and I'll have to switch back to
> > Alphavantage.
> >
> > I'm currently running on Windows and it's available in unknown sources so
> > I'm not much help there.
> >
> > Michael
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 11:41 AM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hey there. I've followed the directions on the wiki for switching my
> >> online
> >> quotes from Yahoo! to Alphavantage but in the security editor
> alphavantage
> >> does not show up under unknown sources. What have I done wrong?
> >>
> >> I got an Alphavantage API key and I added
> >> ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=##############
> >> (with the actual key instead of #s) to my environment file
> >> (/etc/gnucash/environment).
> >> This is gnucash 2.6.17 with finance::quote 1.47 on ubuntu 17.10.

> >> -----

Re: Alphavantage not an option in unknown online source list

Elias K Gardner
Ah so it is. When I set it to "Yahoo as json" and get quotes it says unable
to retrieve quotes. Definitely no Alphavantage source. Version 1.47 is the
newest version of Finance:Quote. I've tried to update it separately per the
wiki and it says I have the newest version.

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 2:13 PM David Carlson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I think Yahoo_json is under the Single source tab in the get quotes
> section of the security editor.  In GnuCash 2.6.18 Windows Alpha Vantage is
> the second choice under Other.  I have not investigated updating
> Finance:Quote in Linux yet, but as is mentioned in the wiki, it probably
> needs to be updated separately from GnuCash.
>
> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 12:45 PM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Michael, yahoo_json does not show up in my unknown sources either.
>> wonder if that is related to my problem.
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 1:17 PM Fross, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > While this doesn't answer your question, I switched to Alphavantage
>> > without issue, but then switched to yahoo_json as it's much faster.  I
>> > assume it will go away at some point and I'll have to switch back to
>> > Alphavantage.
>> >
>> > I'm currently running on Windows and it's available in unknown sources
>> so
>> > I'm not much help there.
>> >
>> > Michael

>> alphavantage

Re: Alphavantage not an option in unknown online source list

Fross, Michael
​Hi Elias,

Take GNUCash out of the equation.  If you run :

perl gnc-fq-dump -v alphavantage AMZN

That should tell you if F:Q can get to alphavantage.

I'm not sure if that will be in your path so you might have to find
gnc-fq-dump.

If that works or not it will help to narrow it down.

Michael

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 1:34 PM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah so it is. When I set it to "Yahoo as json" and get quotes it says
> unable to retrieve quotes. Definitely no Alphavantage source. Version 1.47
> is the newest version of Finance:Quote. I've tried to update it separately
> per the wiki and it says I have the newest version.
>
> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 2:13 PM David Carlson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I think Yahoo_json is under the Single source tab in the get quotes
>> section of the security editor.  In GnuCash 2.6.18 Windows Alpha Vantage is
>> the second choice under Other.  I have not investigated updating
>> Finance:Quote in Linux yet, but as is mentioned in the wiki, it probably
>> needs to be updated separately from GnuCash.
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 12:45 PM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Michael, yahoo_json does not show up in my unknown sources
>>> either. I
>>> wonder if that is related to my problem.

>>> so

>>> alphavantage

Re: Alphavantage not an option in unknown online source list

Elias K Gardner
Ok took me awhile to realize I needed to be in /usr/bin and run 'export
ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=##############' first. Then it appears 'perl
gnc-fq-dump -v alphavantage AMZN' works returning this:
"Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: AMZN                 <=== required
      date: 12/29/2017           <=== recommended
  currency: USD                  <=== required
      last: 1169.4700            <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price:                      <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

All fields returned by Finance::Quote for stock AMZN

stock           field  value
-----           -----  -----
AMZN            close: 1169.4700
AMZN         currency: USD
AMZN       currency_set_by_fq: 1
AMZN             date: 12/29/2017
AMZN             high: 1184.0000
AMZN          isodate: 2017-12-29
AMZN             last: 1169.4700
AMZN              low: 1167.5000
AMZN           method: alphavantage
AMZN             open: 1182.3500
AMZN          success: 1
AMZN           symbol: AMZN
AMZN           volume: 2625283"

So does this mean that gnucash is somehow not able to access my
alphavantage API key?

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 4:24 PM Fross, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ​Hi Elias,
>
> Take GNUCash out of the equation.  If you run :
>
> perl gnc-fq-dump -v alphavantage AMZN
>
> That should tell you if F:Q can get to alphavantage.
>
> I'm not sure if that will be in your path so you might have to find
> gnc-fq-dump.
>
> If that works or not it will help to narrow it down.
>
> Michael
>
> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 1:34 PM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ah so it is. When I set it to "Yahoo as json" and get quotes it says
>> unable to retrieve quotes. Definitely no Alphavantage source. Version 1.47
>> is the newest version of Finance:Quote. I've tried to update it separately
>> per the wiki and it says I have the newest version.
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 2:13 PM David Carlson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I think Yahoo_json is under the Single source tab in the get quotes
>>> section of the security editor.  In GnuCash 2.6.18 Windows Alpha Vantage is
>>> the second choice under Other.  I have not investigated updating
>>> Finance:Quote in Linux yet, but as is mentioned in the wiki, it probably
>>> needs to be updated separately from GnuCash.

Re: Alphavantage not an option in unknown online source list

Elias K Gardner
Ok I think I solved it reading about CPAN on the wiki
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/CPAN

If I understand it right running 'cpan -D Finance::Quote' reported my CPAN
being out of date. So I ran 'sudo cpan' and then 'upgrade' to upgrade it
(does that upgrade perl too?). Anyway alphavantage now shows up in gnucash.
Thanks for all the help everyone.

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 5:56 PM Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok took me awhile to realize I needed to be in /usr/bin and run 'export
> ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=##############' first. Then it appears 'perl
> gnc-fq-dump -v alphavantage AMZN' works returning this:
> "Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
>     symbol: AMZN                 <=== required
>       date: 12/29/2017           <=== recommended
>   currency: USD                  <=== required
>       last: 1169.4700            <=\
>        nav:                      <=== one of these
>      price:                      <=/
>   timezone:                      <=== optional
>
> All fields returned by Finance::Quote for stock AMZN
>
> stock           field  value
> -----           -----  -----
> AMZN            close: 1169.4700
> AMZN         currency: USD
> AMZN       currency_set_by_fq: 1
> AMZN             date: 12/29/2017
> AMZN             high: 1184.0000
> AMZN          isodate: 2017-12-29
> AMZN             last: 1169.4700
> AMZN              low: 1167.5000
> AMZN           method: alphavantage
> AMZN             open: 1182.3500
> AMZN          success: 1
> AMZN           symbol: AMZN
> AMZN           volume: 2625283"
>
> So does this mean that gnucash is somehow not able to access my
> alphavantage API key?
>

> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 4:24 PM Fross, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ​Hi Elias,
>>
>> Take GNUCash out of the equation.  If you run :
>>
>> perl gnc-fq-dump -v alphavantage AMZN
>>
>> That should tell you if F:Q can get to alphavantage.
>>
>> I'm not sure if that will be in your path so you might have to find
>> gnc-fq-dump.
>>
>> If that works or not it will help to narrow it down.
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 1:34 PM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Ah so it is. When I set it to "Yahoo as json" and get quotes it says
>>> unable to retrieve quotes. Definitely no Alphavantage source. Version 1.47
>>> is the newest version of Finance:Quote. I've tried to update it separately
>>> per the wiki and it says I have the newest version.

Re: Alphavantage not an option in unknown online source list

Elias,

Have you rechecked your gnucash environment file for spelling, leading
comment characters, etc?

You did have admin rights when you edited it?

Did you quit gnucash before editing it?

David C

On Jan 1, 2018 4:56 PM, "Elias K Gardner" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ok took me awhile to realize I needed to be in /usr/bin and run 'export
ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=##############' first. Then it appears 'perl
gnc-fq-dump -v alphavantage AMZN' works returning this:
"Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: AMZN                 <=== required
      date: 12/29/2017           <=== recommended
  currency: USD                  <=== required
      last: 1169.4700            <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price:                      <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

All fields returned by Finance::Quote for stock AMZN

stock           field  value
-----           -----  -----
AMZN            close: 1169.4700
AMZN         currency: USD
AMZN       currency_set_by_fq: 1
AMZN             date: 12/29/2017
AMZN             high: 1184.0000
AMZN          isodate: 2017-12-29
AMZN             last: 1169.4700
AMZN              low: 1167.5000
AMZN           method: alphavantage
AMZN             open: 1182.3500
AMZN          success: 1
AMZN           symbol: AMZN
AMZN           volume: 2625283"

So does this mean that gnucash is somehow not able to access my
alphavantage API key?

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 4:24 PM Fross, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ​Hi Elias,
>
> Take GNUCash out of the equation.  If you run :
>
> perl gnc-fq-dump -v alphavantage AMZN
>
> That should tell you if F:Q can get to alphavantage.
>
> I'm not sure if that will be in your path so you might have to find
> gnc-fq-dump.
>
> If that works or not it will help to narrow it down.
>
> Michael
>
> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 1:34 PM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ah so it is. When I set it to "Yahoo as json" and get quotes it says
>> unable to retrieve quotes. Definitely no Alphavantage source. Version 1.47
>> is the newest version of Finance:Quote. I've tried to update it separately
>> per the wiki and it says I have the newest version.
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 2:13 PM David Carlson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I think Yahoo_json is under the Single source tab in the get quotes
>>> section of the security editor.  In GnuCash 2.6.18 Windows Alpha Vantage is
>>> the second choice under Other.  I have not investigated updating
>>> Finance:Quote in Linux yet, but as is mentioned in the wiki, it probably
>>> needs to be updated separately from GnuCash.

Re: Alphavantage not an option in unknown online source list

Elias K Gardner
Yes gnucash was closed, I had admin rights, and I checked the spelling. I
believe thats fine because it works in gnucash now.