Advanced Portfolio report

Leslie Katz
Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

"if you save the report (using a custom name!!!!) then it is in ~/.gnucash/saved-reports-1.8 (?). If you are using a stock report, it is in (on my debian machine) /usr/share/gnucash/guile-modules/gnucash/report/"

Thanks for replying, Andrew.

I'm using v 1.8.11 with Fedora.

I'm afraid I'm not understanding something very basic here.

I opened my "Shares" file, then went to "Reports", "Assets & Liabilities", and clicked on "Advanced Portfolio". That put two tabs on the screen, "Accounts" and "Advanced Portfolio", and put the "Advanced Portfolio" view on top. I then clicked on "Options" and, under the "General" tab in "Options", I changed the report name to "Secrep", clicked on "Apply" and then "OK". I then clicked on "Save" and exited.

I then went looking for a file with "Secrep" in the name. Using the file search facility, I searched my entire computer (including hidden files) for such a file, but there wasn't one.

What basic thing have I failed to do?

Re: Advanced Portfolio report

Derek Atkins
Quoting Leslie Katz <[hidden email]>:

> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> "if you save the report (using a custom name!!!!) then it is in
> ~/.gnucash/saved-reports-1.8 (?). If you are using a stock report, it
> is in (on my debian machine)
> /usr/share/gnucash/guile-modules/gnucash/report/"
>
> Thanks for replying, Andrew.
>
> I'm using v 1.8.11 with Fedora.
>
> I'm afraid I'm not understanding something very basic here.
>
> I opened my "Shares" file, then went to "Reports", "Assets &
> Liabilities", and clicked on "Advanced Portfolio". That put two tabs
> on the screen, "Accounts" and "Advanced Portfolio", and put the
> "Advanced Portfolio" view on top. I then clicked on "Options" and,
> under the "General" tab in "Options", I changed the report name to
> "Secrep", clicked on "Apply" and then "OK". I then clicked on "Save"
> and exited.
>
> I then went looking for a file with "Secrep" in the name. Using the
> file search facility, I searched my entire computer (including hidden
> files) for such a file, but there wasn't one.
>
> What basic thing have I failed to do?

Are you trying to Remember the report settings so you can re-run the
report with your custom settings, or are you trying to export the report
contents (as HTML) so you can send it or load it into firefox?

For the former you click the "save report" button /after changing the
default report name/...  If you dont change the report name before
clicking Save Report then gnucash will crash the next time you run it.
If you successful "Save report" it will show up in your Report -> Custom
menu next time you start gnucash.

For the latter, you click the Export button, and it will save the report
as an HTML file in whatever you name it in the file search dialog.

Also, if you just leave the report tab open when you exit gnucash then
that report will automatically re-run the next time you start gnucash.

Advanced Portfolio report

Leslie Katz
Derek Atkins wrote:

> Are you trying to Remember the report settings so you can re-run the
> report with your custom settings, or are you trying to export the report
> contents (as HTML) so you can send it or load it into firefox?

The former. I'm sorry I wasn't as clear as I could've been. Perhaps I
should've said I was hoping to be able to amend the "Advanced Portfolio"
report template

> For the former you click the "save report" button /after changing the
> default report name/...  If you dont change the report name before
> clicking Save Report then gnucash will crash the next time you run it.
> If you successful "Save report" it will show up in your Report -> Custom
> menu next time you start gnucash.

My new report, "Secrep", does now show up under "Custom". I also find,
under /home/leslie.gnucash, "saved-reports-1.8", as Andrew told me I
would. I'll now google "gnucash custom reports", as suggested by Andrew.

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to reply.

Leslie

Re: Advanced Portfolio report

Andrew Sackville-West
On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 12:02:40 +1100
Leslie Katz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> > Are you trying to Remember the report settings so you can re-run the
> > report with your custom settings, or are you trying to export the report
> > contents (as HTML) so you can send it or load it into firefox?
>
> The former. I'm sorry I wasn't as clear as I could've been. Perhaps I
> should've said I was hoping to be able to amend the "Advanced Portfolio"
> report template
>
> > For the former you click the "save report" button /after changing the
> > default report name/...  If you dont change the report name before
> > clicking Save Report then gnucash will crash the next time you run it.
> > If you successful "Save report" it will show up in your Report -> Custom
> > menu next time you start gnucash.
>
> My new report, "Secrep", does now show up under "Custom". I also find,
> under /home/leslie.gnucash, "saved-reports-1.8", as Andrew told me I
> would. I'll now google "gnucash custom reports", as suggested by Andrew.
I should warn you there's not much.

> Thanks very much for taking the trouble to reply.
>
> Leslie

Re: Advanced Portfolio report

Mike Alexander
--On February 7, 2006 12:02:40 PM +1100 Leslie Katz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> For the former you click the "save report" button /after changing the
>> default report name/...  If you dont change the report name before
>> clicking Save Report then gnucash will crash the next time you run
>> it. If you successful "Save report" it will show up in your Report
>> -> Custom menu next time you start gnucash.
>
> My new report, "Secrep", does now show up under "Custom". I also
> find, under /home/leslie.gnucash, "saved-reports-1.8", as Andrew told
> me I would. I'll now google "gnucash custom reports", as suggested by
> Andrew.

I think there are some bugs in version 1.8.x which cause it to not save
the custom report reliably when you click Save Report.  It seems that
it is more likely to work if you update the report immediately before
clicking Save Report.  If it does work, it will just append a copy of
the report definition to ~/.gnucash/saved-reports-1.8 so you may end up
with multiple definitions of the same report in the file.  I don't know
if that matters, but I've edited the file to remove all but the last
one to be safe.

--
Mike Alexander           [hidden email]
Ann Arbor, MI            PGP key ID: BEA343A6

Advanced Portfolio report

Leslie Katz
Mike Alexander wrote:

> --On February 7, 2006 12:02:40 PM +1100 Leslie Katz
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> For the former you click the "save report" button /after changing the
>>> default report name/... If you dont change the report name before
>>> clicking Save Report then gnucash will crash the next time you run
>>> it. If you successful "Save report" it will show up in your Report
>>> -> Custom menu next time you start gnucash.
>>

>> My new report, "Secrep", does now show up under "Custom". I also
>> find, under /home/leslie.gnucash, "saved-reports-1.8", as Andrew told
>> me I would. I'll now google "gnucash custom reports", as suggested by
>> Andrew.
>

> I think there are some bugs in version 1.8.x which cause it to not
> save the custom report reliably when you click Save Report. It seems
> that it is more likely to work if you update the report immediately
> before clicking Save Report. If it does work, it will just append a
> copy of the report definition to ~/.gnucash/saved-reports-1.8 so you
> may end up with multiple definitions of the same report in the file. I
> don't know if that matters, but I've edited the file to remove all but
> the last one to be safe.

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to give me that information,
Mike. Right now, the risk doesn't apply to me, since I've seen that I
don't have the skill to edit the custom report I've created and have
just gone back to using the supplied "Advanced Portfolio" account.

Thanks again,

Leslie