Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

1234

Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

VidarParry
Hi everyone (especially Admins).

Just wondering if you can add an automatic Subject Prefix in MailMan to all emails from this list (eg [GNC]) so that list emails have a subject like "[GNC] This is a sample Subject". This will enable faster identification of the mailing list emails (of which there are many) when eye scanning and the option to have a mail client rule to filter them into a separate folder.

Just a thought!

Thanks for all your great work😊

Cheers

...Steve

Re: Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

R. Victor Klassen
Does your mail client not allow you to filter by the presence of gnucash-user as any recipient?  Works for me.

> On Apr 5, 2018, at 9:08 PM, Steve Parry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone (especially Admins).
>

> Just wondering if you can add an automatic Subject Prefix in MailMan to all emails from this list (eg [GNC]) so that list emails have a subject like "[GNC] This is a sample Subject". This will enable faster identification of the mailing list emails (of which there are many) when eye scanning and the option to have a mail client rule to filter them into a separate folder.
>

> Just a thought!
>

> Thanks for all your great work😊
>
> Cheers
>
> ...Steve

Re: Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

Dave H
Personally I find that sort of stuff distracting especially as there are
multiple GNC-XXX lists.  There is plenty in the current headers to filter
on if I could be bothered doing that and I get 1-200 emails most days :-)

Just my .02 worth.

Cheers Dave H.

On 6 April 2018 at 11:08, Steve Parry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone (especially Admins).
>

> Just wondering if you can add an automatic Subject Prefix in MailMan to
> all emails from this list (eg [GNC]) so that list emails have a subject
> like "[GNC] This is a sample Subject". This will enable faster
> identification of the mailing list emails (of which there are many) when
> eye scanning and the option to have a mail client rule to filter them into
> a separate folder.
>

> Just a thought!
>

> Thanks for all your great work😊
>
> Cheers
>
> ...Steve

Re: Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

Adrien Monteleone
I do the same. I filter based on sender into it’s own folder and I only see unread messages, which I can easily toggle. (in conversation view, so the entire thread is there to read if desired)

If that’s not enough, the particular mail client in question might even be able to set an action on a filter that adds the desired prefix to the subject, flags it, etc.

> On Apr 5, 2018, at 8:13 PM, R. Victor Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does your mail client not allow you to filter by the presence of gnucash-user as any recipient?  Works for me.
>
>> On Apr 5, 2018, at 9:08 PM, Steve Parry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone (especially Admins).
>>

>> Just wondering if you can add an automatic Subject Prefix in MailMan to all emails from this list (eg [GNC]) so that list emails have a subject like "[GNC] This is a sample Subject". This will enable faster identification of the mailing list emails (of which there are many) when eye scanning and the option to have a mail client rule to filter them into a separate folder.
>>

>> Just a thought!
>>

>> Thanks for all your great work😊
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> ...Steve

RE: Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

VidarParry
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the email responses. As I said, it was just a thought!  Seems there is no support for this idea so I’ll withdraw it😊

Have a great weekend!

Cheers

…Steve

Re: Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

> On Apr 5, 2018, at 6:08 PM, Steve Parry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone (especially Admins).
>

> Just wondering if you can add an automatic Subject Prefix in MailMan to all emails from this list (eg [GNC]) so that list emails have a subject like "[GNC] This is a sample Subject". This will enable faster identification of the mailing list emails (of which there are many) when eye scanning and the option to have a mail client rule to filter them into a separate folder.
>

> Just a thought!
>

> Thanks for all your great work😊

I don’t know diddley about MailMan configuration, but I have a procmail rule that works perfectly, and has for many years:

* ^TO_gnucash-user@(lists\.)?gnucash\.org
.gnucash-user/

I use a similar rule for a number of mailing lists, driven by both MailMan and Google Groups.

Re: Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

James Triplett
On (06/04/18 11:08), Steve Parry wrote:

> Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 11:08:57 +1000
> From: Steve Parry <[hidden email]>
> To: 'Gnucash Users' <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi everyone (especially Admins).
>

> Just wondering if you can add an automatic Subject Prefix in MailMan to all emails from this list (eg [GNC]) so that list emails have a subject like "[GNC] This is a sample Subject". This will enable faster identification of the mailing list emails (of which there are many) when eye scanning and the option to have a mail client rule to filter them into a separate folder.

I think it's a great idea.  My email client makes this Subject Prefix stand out very nicely.
Yes, of course, I could design a filtering algorithm that could re-sort my mail, blah, blah, blah.
But the eye does it very nicely (in my INBOX of about a thousand items, receiving about 100 per day).

cheers,
James
(email sysadmin but newbie GC user)

Re: Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

Fross, Michael
I simply filter on:

from "gnucash-user"

and move the mail into a folder dedicated to it.  It has never failed to
work.

Michael

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 10:58 AM, James Triplett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On (06/04/18 11:08), Steve Parry wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 11:08:57 +1000
> > From: Steve Parry <[hidden email]>
> > To: 'Gnucash Users' <[hidden email]>
> >
> > Hi everyone (especially Admins).
> >

> > Just wondering if you can add an automatic Subject Prefix in MailMan to
> all emails from this list (eg [GNC]) so that list emails have a subject
> like "[GNC] This is a sample Subject". This will enable faster
> identification of the mailing list emails (of which there are many) when
> eye scanning and the option to have a mail client rule to filter them into
> a separate folder.
> >

> I think it's a great idea.  My email client makes this Subject Prefix
> stand out very nicely.
> Yes, of course, I could design a filtering algorithm that could re-sort my
> mail, blah, blah, blah.
> But the eye does it very nicely (in my INBOX of about a thousand items,
> receiving about 100 per day).
>
> cheers,
> James
> (email sysadmin but newbie GC user)

Re: Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

Les Elliott
This works great using Thunderbird.  It is very easy to filter.

Les
On 04/06/2018 01:03 PM, Fross, Michael wrote:

> I simply filter on:
>
> from "gnucash-user"
>
> and move the mail into a folder dedicated to it.  It has never failed to
> work.
>
> Michael
>
> On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 10:58 AM, James Triplett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On (06/04/18 11:08), Steve Parry wrote:
>>> Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 11:08:57 +1000
>>> From: Steve Parry <[hidden email]>
>>> To: 'Gnucash Users' <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> Hi everyone (especially Admins).
>>>

>>> Just wondering if you can add an automatic Subject Prefix in MailMan to
>> all emails from this list (eg [GNC]) so that list emails have a subject
>> like "[GNC] This is a sample Subject". This will enable faster
>> identification of the mailing list emails (of which there are many) when
>> eye scanning and the option to have a mail client rule to filter them into
>> a separate folder.
>>>
>> I think it's a great idea.  My email client makes this Subject Prefix
>> stand out very nicely.
>> Yes, of course, I could design a filtering algorithm that could re-sort my
>> mail, blah, blah, blah.
>> But the eye does it very nicely (in my INBOX of about a thousand items,
>> receiving about 100 per day).
>>
>> cheers,
>> James
>> (email sysadmin but newbie GC user)

Re: [GNC] Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

Adonay Felipe Nogueira-2
2018-04-06T11:08:57+1000 Steve Parry wrote:
> when eye scanning and the option to have a mail client rule to filter
> them into a separate folder.

Some email clients, for example GNU Emacs Gnus, allows you to do email
splitting, in which you can make groups/directories that will hold email
messages that match a certain rule, and this can be done by testing for
the "[hidden email]" email, or the corresponding bouncer.

--
- Formas de contato: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#vCard

- Ativista do /software/ livre (não confundir com gratuito). Avaliador
  da liberdade de /software/ e de /sites/.

- Membro do LibrePlanet Brasil:
  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:LibrePlanet_Brasil

- Comunicações sociais federadas padronizadas, onde o "social"
  permanece independente do fornecedor.

- #DeleteWhatsApp. Use o pai dele, #XMPP, federado e com padrão
  internacional: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/XMPP.pt

- #DeleteFacebook #DeleteInstagram #DeleteTwitter #DeleteYouTube. Use
  redes sociais federadas que suportam #ActivityPub, padrão
  internacional, como a rede Mastodon: https://joinmastodon.org/

- #DeleteNetflix #CancelNetflix. Evite #DRM:
  https://www.defectivebydesign.org/

- Quer enviar arquivos para mim? Veja:
  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#Arquivos

- Quer doar para mim, ou me contratar? Veja:
  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#Suporte

- Minhas contribuições:
  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#Contributions

Re: [GNC] Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

Alain D D Williams
On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 08:31:32AM -0300, Adonay Felipe Nogueira wrote:
> 2018-04-06T11:08:57+1000 Steve Parry wrote:
> > when eye scanning and the option to have a mail client rule to filter
> > them into a separate folder.
>
> Some email clients, for example GNU Emacs Gnus, allows you to do email

The clue to this is ''Some email clients''.

The point is that different people choose different ones - for whatever reason.
So: let's make it easy for people who are not using your chosen MUA to also
distinguish GC/GNC email from the others in their mailbox. The price for those
who do not need it on the Subject: line is a few characters - get over it!

> splitting, in which you can make groups/directories that will hold email
> messages that match a certain rule, and this can be done by testing for
> the "[hidden email]" email, or the corresponding bouncer.

All very nice if you want to do that; some do, some don't.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  https://www.phcomp.co.uk/

Re: [GNC] Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

Amish
Is it possible to put [GNC] tag at the end of the subject.

Those who filter on subject will still be able to use it

and those who are disturbed by additional unnecessary tagging would be
happy too.

Amish.

On Tuesday 10 April 2018 05:09 PM, Alain Williams wrote:

> The point is that different people choose different ones - for whatever reason.
> So: let's make it easy for people who are not using your chosen MUA to also
> distinguish GC/GNC email from the others in their mailbox. The price for those
> who do not need it on the Subject: line is a few characters - get over it!

Re: [GNC] Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

Gour
Alain Williams <[hidden email]> writes:

> All very nice if you want to do that; some do, some don't.

Personally I do not mind too much since I use Gmane, but isn't it
strange that *all* users are paying the 'price' for users that "don't
want to do that" (aka mail filtering) ? ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
As the ignorant perform their duties with attachment to results,
the learned may similarly act, but without attachment, for the

Re: [GNC] Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

Adrien Monteleone-2
Good point.

Since filtering is a personal preference, I don’t think its method should be decided by the list.

> On Apr 10, 2018, at 7:14 AM, Saša Janiška <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Alain Williams <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> All very nice if you want to do that; some do, some don't.
>
> Personally I do not mind too much since I use Gmane, but isn't it
> strange that *all* users are paying the 'price' for users that "don't
> want to do that" (aka mail filtering) ? ;)
>

> Sincerely,
> Gour
>
> --
> As the ignorant perform their duties with attachment to results,
> the learned may similarly act, but without attachment, for the
> sake of leading people on the right path.

Re: [GNC] Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

Hello,

I am responding to the original email because there have been quite a few responses to this thread.

I have tallied up the responses regarding subject prefixes thus far, and it appears that 7 people are in favor of this change.

In contrast, 20 people (including three of the development team) have expressed negative opinions regarding this addition. [In the interest of objectivity, I am one of this group.]

It is unclear to me why such a change would be implemented based on the opinions of two readers (the total number of positive replies prior to implementation), and then not reverted when nearly three times the number of readers expressed their objectons to it.

David T.

> On Apr 6, 2018, at 6:08 AM, Steve Parry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone (especially Admins).
>

> Just wondering if you can add an automatic Subject Prefix in MailMan to all emails from this list (eg [GNC]) so that list emails have a subject like "[GNC] This is a sample Subject". This will enable faster identification of the mailing list emails (of which there are many) when eye scanning and the option to have a mail client rule to filter them into a separate folder.
>

> Just a thought!
>

> Thanks for all your great work😊
>
> Cheers
>
> ...Steve

Re: [GNC] Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

Ronal B Morse-2
Make that 21.  But, it's not a big issue for me.

RBM

On 04/10/2018 11:00 AM, David T. via gnucash-user wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am responding to the original email because there have been quite a few responses to this thread.
>
> I have tallied up the responses regarding subject prefixes thus far, and it appears that 7 people are in favor of this change.
>
> In contrast, 20 people (including three of the development team) have expressed negative opinions regarding this addition. [In the interest of objectivity, I am one of this group.]
>
> It is unclear to me why such a change would be implemented based on the opinions of two readers (the total number of positive replies prior to implementation), and then not reverted when nearly three times the number of readers expressed their objectons to it.
>
> David T.
>
>> On Apr 6, 2018, at 6:08 AM, Steve Parry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone (especially Admins).
>>

>> Just wondering if you can add an automatic Subject Prefix in MailMan to all emails from this list (eg [GNC]) so that list emails have a subject like "[GNC] This is a sample Subject". This will enable faster identification of the mailing list emails (of which there are many) when eye scanning and the option to have a mail client rule to filter them into a separate folder.
>>

>> Just a thought!
>>

>> Thanks for all your great work😊
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> ...Steve

Re: [GNC] Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

Mike Evans-3

22

Re: [GNC] Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

Les Elliott
23.

On 04/10/2018 12:40 PM, Mike Evans wrote:

> 22

Re: [GNC] Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

zakina
22

On 10 Apr 2018 at 11:28, Ronal B Morse wrote:

> Make that 21.  But, it's not a big issue for me.
>
> RBM
>
> On 04/10/2018 11:00 AM, David T. via gnucash-user wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am responding to the original email because there have been
> quite a few responses to this thread.
> >
> > I have tallied up the responses regarding subject prefixes thus
> far, and it appears that 7 people are in favor of this change.
> >
> > In contrast, 20 people (including three of the development team)
> have expressed negative opinions regarding this addition. [In the
> interest of objectivity, I am one of this group.]
> >
> > It is unclear to me why such a change would be implemented based
> on the opinions of two readers (the total number of positive replies
> prior to implementation), and then not reverted when nearly three
> times the number of readers expressed their objectons to it.
> >
> > David T.
> >
> >> On Apr 6, 2018, at 6:08 AM, Steve Parry <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi everyone (especially Admins).
> >>

> >> Just wondering if you can add an automatic Subject Prefix in
> MailMan to all emails from this list (eg [GNC]) so that list emails
> have a subject like "[GNC] This is a sample Subject". This will
> enable faster identification of the mailing list emails (of which
> there are many) when eye scanning and the option to have a mail
> client rule to filter them into a separate folder.
> >>

> >> Just a thought!
> >>

> >> Thanks for all your great work
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> ...Steve

> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >> -----

Re: [GNC] Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

Alex Aycinena-2
24 against

> 23.
>

> On 04/10/2018 12:40 PM, Mike Evans wrote:
>
>> 22

1234