Add own currencies?

Daniel Kraft-4
Hi!

I'm wondering if it is possible to add your own currencies to a
gnucash-file (like it is possible for stocks/funds) - I'm using gnucash
2.0.1.

The problem is when I want to book virtual currencies between multiple
accounts, it isn't really nice to book them as funds; it seems that you
can only buy/sell funds for a specific amount of money in gnucash, while
I wound need to transfer simply a specific amount of *shares* from one
account to each other.

So what I need is a way to simply create my own currency with a manually
entered value (preferred option) or to transfer *shares* instead of
money from accounts which use the same security of type fund.

Many thanks in advance,
Daniel Kraft

Re: Add own currencies?

David Hampton-2
On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 21:13 +0000, Daniel Kraft wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm wondering if it is possible to add your own currencies to a
> gnucash-file (like it is possible for stocks/funds) - I'm using gnucash
> 2.0.1.

Not without compiling the program yourself.

> The problem is when I want to book virtual currencies between multiple

What do you mean by "virtual currency"?  Linden dollars?  Describing the
problem always works better than describing a proposed solution.

> accounts, it isn't really nice to book them as funds; it seems that you
> can only buy/sell funds for a specific amount of money in gnucash, while
> I wound need to transfer simply a specific amount of *shares* from one
> account to each other.

You can set the price to zero.  I don't know how this will affect
capital gains calculations once they're enabled.

> So what I need is a way to simply create my own currency with a manually
> entered value (preferred option) or to transfer *shares* instead of
> money from accounts which use the same security of type fund.

>From a stock or mutual fund account, just sell '-n' shares for a price
of zero and buy 'n' shares in the other account, also for a price of
zero.  For that matter, as long as the buy and sell price are the same
you should get the same effect.

Re: Add own currencies?

Daniel Kraft-4
David Hampton wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 21:13 +0000, Daniel Kraft wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm wondering if it is possible to add your own currencies to a
>> gnucash-file (like it is possible for stocks/funds) - I'm using gnucash
>> 2.0.1.
>
> Not without compiling the program yourself.

As I already built gnucash from source, I decided to simply hack the
source to include my currency - that's are the joy of OpenSource, aren't
they? ;)

However, am I really the only one who needs such a feature?  Of course
it is possible to transfer funds as you described, but that way I need
to enter the transaction *twice* - and that should be the responsibility
of a double-entry accounting system, shouldn't it?

Yours,
Daniel Kraft