Add new language

Anousak Souphavanh
Hi Everyone,

My team and I would like to translate GnuCash for Lao language. What is the process to add new language?

Anousak Souphavanh

Re: Add new language

Christian Stimming
Hi,

just get the current code from SVN. The steps for you should all be described
in the document doc/TRANSLATION_HOWTO, online
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation

As soon as you submit any initial translation, we (particularly myself) will
commit it to SVN and everyone can see it.

Christian

Am Donnerstag, 15. Dezember 2005 10:04 schrieb Anousak Souphavanh:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> My team and I would like to translate GnuCash for Lao language. What is the
> process to add new language?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Anousak Souphavanh

Re: Add new language

Quoting Anousak Souphavanh <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> My team and I would like to translate GnuCash for Lao language. What is the
> process to add new language?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Anousak Souphavanh

Re: Add new language

Anousak Souphavanh
Thanks, Derek, for your info.

However accourding to TRANSLATION-HOWTO section 3, there is a FIXME: Command to build a new .po file is missing. What is the command?
Thanks in advance.

Anousak

On 12/15/05, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation

Quoting Anousak Souphavanh <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> My team and I would like to translate GnuCash for Lao language. What is the
> process to add new language?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Anousak Souphavanh

       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available

--
Anousak Souphavanh

Re: Add new language

Christian Stimming
Dear Anousak,

by the way, what is the language code for the Lao language, and in which
countries is it spoken?

The command to "build a new .po file" is simply to copy the gnucash.pot
file to the corresponding filename and start working:

   cp gnucash.pot <newlang>.po

Please read some of the gettext documentation -- it should explain how
to work with these files. For example, one explanation (from here
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/HTML/translators.html):

OK, let's say you decided to translate gnucash. Start by copying the
file gnucash.pot into a work file named LL.po, where LL is your language
code as explained earlier in this text, and just edit this file. It
starts like:

         # SOME DESCRIPTIVE TITLE.
         # Copyright (C) YEAR Free Software Foundation, Inc.
         # This file is distributed under the same license as the
PACKAGE package.
         # FIRST AUTHOR <EMAIL@ADDRESS>, YEAR.
         #
         #, fuzzy
         msgid ""
         msgstr ""
         "Project-Id-Version: PACKAGE VERSION\n"
         "PO-Revision-Date: YEAR-MO-DA HO:MI+ZONE\n"
         "POT-Creation-Date: 2002-12-10 22:11+0100\n"
         "Last-Translator: FULL NAME <EMAIL@ADDRESS>\n"
         "Language-Team: LANGUAGE <[hidden email]>\n"

Replace all the words in capitals with something appropriate. In this
case, you will be the first author of the translation, and also the last
translator of it. Please, don't use your own language to replace SOME
DESCRIPTIVE TITLE; this line is meant to be read also by people not
speaking your language. CHARSET may be utf8 for example, and ENCODING is
often 8bit. Remove the `#, fuzzy' line once you have specified the items
in capitals, because once this is done the header entry is no longer fuzzy.

Each message to translate is then given in turn in the PO file. For
example, an untranslated entry might be:

         #: lib/error.c:88
         msgid "Unknown system error"
         msgstr ""

The empty msgstr string has to be filled with the translation for the
string shown after msgid. If you were a German speaker, say, the entry
once translated might look like:

         #: lib/error.c:88
         msgid "Unknown system error"
         msgstr "unbekannter Systemfehler"

You just produce a translation for all entries in the PO file, one after
another, respecting the overall file format and the quoting needed for
special characters, when needed. Observation and intuition may allow you
to grasp what the format should be; the precise rules for PO files are
given in the GNU gettext manual. The msgfmt program is helpful for
pinpointing formatting errors.

Christian

Anousak Souphavanh schrieb:

> Thanks, Derek, for your info.
>
> However accourding to TRANSLATION-HOWTO section 3, there is a FIXME:
> Command to build a new .po file is missing. What is the command?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Anousak
>
> On 12/15/05, *Derek Atkins* <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> wrote:
>
>     http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation
>
>     Quoting Anousak Souphavanh <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>      > Hi Everyone,
>      >
>      > My team and I would like to translate GnuCash for Lao language.
>     What is the
>      > process to add new language?
>      >
>      > Thanks,
>      >
>      > --
>      > Anousak Souphavanh

Re: Add new language

Derek Atkins
Christian Stimming <[hidden email]> writes:

> Dear Anousak,
>
> by the way, what is the language code for the Lao language, and in which
> countries is it spoken?
>
> The command to "build a new .po file" is simply to copy the gnucash.pot
> file to the corresponding filename and start working:
>
>   cp gnucash.pot <newlang>.po

There is also the "make pot" target to build a new gnucash.pot
from the source tree.

Re: Add new language

Brian-5
On Fri, 2005-16-12 at 10:39 +0100, Christian Stimming wrote:

> Dear Anousak,
>
> by the way, what is the language code for the Lao language, and in which
> countries is it spoken?
>
> The command to "build a new .po file" is simply to copy the gnucash.pot
> file to the corresponding filename and start working:
>
>    cp gnucash.pot <newlang>.po
>
> Please read some of the gettext documentation -- it should explain how
> to work with these files. For example, one explanation (from here
> http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/HTML/translators.html):
>
> OK, let's say you decided to translate gnucash. Start by copying the
> file gnucash.pot into a work file named LL.po, where LL is your language
> code as explained earlier in this text, and just edit this file.

Probably the easiest way to translate the gnucash.pot file is to use a
specialized editor such as poedit.  To use it just start poedit, import
the gnucash.pot file and begin editing.  It will inform you if it thinks
the translation is "fuzzy" if you miss some quotes or special
characters, etc..  If you are not sure how to translate something, skip
it and next time you open the file to edit it, all untranslated strings
appear at the start followed by any fuzzy translations and finally
completed strings.  Updates are easy as well, just a menu click "update
from pot file" and select the new gnucash.pot file.  It will merge the
new pot file source, updating your original strings and list any new
strings at the start.
--
Brian <[hidden email]>

Re: Add new language

Christian Stimming
Brian schrieb:
> Probably the easiest way to translate the gnucash.pot file is to use a
> specialized editor such as poedit.

Well, if you mention one then you should mention all: Well-known editors
for po files include but are not limited to

- (x)emacs with po-mode (shipped with gettext)
- KBabel
- GTranslator
- poedit

I personally stick with xemacs and po-mode.

Christian