Accounts and Reports in Different Windows

Accounts and Reports in Different Windows

Adam Rosi-Kessel
I'm running gnucash 1.8.12 from Debian sid.

When I open gnucash, two windows open up: one full of reports, the other
with just the accounts tree.

I'm not sure how I got to this state, but I'm wondering if there is a way
to put them all back in the same window again. I can't close the
accounts-only window without closing gnucash entirely; and I'd rather not
have to re-create all of those reports in the accounts window.

The relevant file in ~/.gnucash/books had this:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;; options for account tree id=1
(let ((options (gnc:make-acct-tree-window-options)))

; Section: Account Tree

  (hash-set! gnc:*acct-tree-options* 1 options)
  "gnc-acct-tree:1")

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

I changed the id=1 to 0 and gnc-acct-tree:1 to 0 as well (as I have in
another books file) but this made no difference (I was only just guessing
this had something to do with window selection).
--
Adam Rosi-Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org

Re: Accounts and Reports in Different Windows

Andrew Sackville-West
On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 12:39:10 -0500
Adam Rosi-Kessel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm running gnucash 1.8.12 from Debian sid.
>
> When I open gnucash, two windows open up: one full of reports, the other
> with just the accounts tree.
>
> I'm not sure how I got to this state, but I'm wondering if there is a way
> to put them all back in the same window again. I can't close the
> accounts-only window without closing gnucash entirely; and I'd rather not
> have to re-create all of those reports in the accounts window.
>
> The relevant file in ~/.gnucash/books had this:
>
> ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
> ;; options for account tree id=1
> (let ((options (gnc:make-acct-tree-window-options)))
>
> ; Section: Account Tree
>
>   (hash-set! gnc:*acct-tree-options* 1 options)
>   "gnc-acct-tree:1")
>
> ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
>
> I changed the id=1 to 0 and gnc-acct-tree:1 to 0 as well (as I have in
> another books file) but this made no difference (I was only just guessing
> this had something to do with window selection).
Couple things you can do here.

1) in the reports only window, open a new account tree, which will appear at the bottom of your tabs. I think you can then close the account tree only window. I remember messing with this in the past, but I don't recall the results.

2) in the account-tree window, recreate each report that is in the other window (you can use the report-only-window to check your report configuration). once you've recreated them all, you can close the reports-only window and move ahead.

3) in the report-windoow, "Save" each report (be sure to give them custom names first!!!!!), then close them all, restart gnucash and you can open your reports from the Reports => Custom =>  menu selection.

> Adam Rosi-Kessel
> http://adam.rosi-kessel.org

Re: Accounts and Reports in Different Windows

Derek Atkins
This is an MDI issue..  There is another route you can take:

Edit -> Preference
turn on the Advanced preference (in the General page, IIRC), then click Apply
go to the Advanced page
select Individual Windows
click Apply
select Notebook
click Ok

-derek

Quoting Andrew Sackville-West <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 12:39:10 -0500
> Adam Rosi-Kessel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm running gnucash 1.8.12 from Debian sid.
>>
>> When I open gnucash, two windows open up: one full of reports, the other
>> with just the accounts tree.
>>
>> I'm not sure how I got to this state, but I'm wondering if there is a way
>> to put them all back in the same window again. I can't close the
>> accounts-only window without closing gnucash entirely; and I'd rather not
>> have to re-create all of those reports in the accounts window.
>>
>> The relevant file in ~/.gnucash/books had this:
>>
>> ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
>> ;; options for account tree id=1
>> (let ((options (gnc:make-acct-tree-window-options)))
>>
>> ; Section: Account Tree
>>
>>   (hash-set! gnc:*acct-tree-options* 1 options)
>>   "gnc-acct-tree:1")
>>
>> ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
>>
>> I changed the id=1 to 0 and gnc-acct-tree:1 to 0 as well (as I have in
>> another books file) but this made no difference (I was only just guessing
>> this had something to do with window selection).
>
> Couple things you can do here.
>
> 1) in the reports only window, open a new account tree, which will
> appear at the bottom of your tabs. I think you can then close the
> account tree only window. I remember messing with this in the past,
> but I don't recall the results.
>
> 2) in the account-tree window, recreate each report that is in the
> other window (you can use the report-only-window to check your report
> configuration). once you've recreated them all, you can close the
> reports-only window and move ahead.
>
> 3) in the report-windoow, "Save" each report (be sure to give them
> custom names first!!!!!), then close them all, restart gnucash and
> you can open your reports from the Reports => Custom =>  menu
> selection.

>> --
>> Adam Rosi-Kessel
>> http://adam.rosi-kessel.org

Re: Accounts and Reports in Different Windows

Adam Rosi-Kessel
Thanks. That did the trick. I didn't see "Individual Windows," but I
changed to "Single Window" then back to "Notebook" and that restored
everything to one window.