Account selection lists

Bernie Ledwick
Hi,

I don't know if this has been raised before or how difficult it would be to
achieve, but when posting items to accounts, all accounts are listed every
time. This means that, for example if I want to post to an account in the
expenses section, I need to scroll through all the income accounts. Would it
be possible to have an option where the list is presented as a
collapsible/expandable tree? The only closely relevant option I see is to
"Only display leaf account names", which still displays all the accounts.

Regards,

Bernie

Re: Account selection lists

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hi Bernie,

If you begin typing the tree, it will quickly pare the list down based on your typing. Moreover, if you type the Account Separator character (usually the “:”) it will move to the next level in the hierarchy. So, to get to Expenses:Auto:Fuel, I can type: ex:au:f

See if that helps you.

David

> On Nov 16, 2016, at 4:58 PM, Bernie Ledwick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> I don't know if this has been raised before or how difficult it would be to
> achieve, but when posting items to accounts, all accounts are listed every
> time. This means that, for example if I want to post to an account in the
> expenses section, I need to scroll through all the income accounts. Would it
> be possible to have an option where the list is presented as a
> collapsible/expandable tree? The only closely relevant option I see is to
> "Only display leaf account names", which still displays all the accounts.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bernie

Re: Account selection lists

Bernie Ledwick
David,

Thanks for the suggestion.  It does help a bit,  but takes me back 40 years to before the mouse was invented.

⁣Regards,

Bernie

On 16 Nov 2016, 13:21, at 13:21, "David T." <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Bernie,
>
>If you begin typing the tree, it will quickly pare the list down based
>on your typing. Moreover, if you type the Account Separator character
>(usually the “:”) it will move to the next level in the hierarchy. So,
>to get to Expenses:Auto:Fuel, I can type: ex:au:f
>
>See if that helps you.
>
>David
>
>> On Nov 16, 2016, at 4:58 PM, Bernie Ledwick <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>

>> I don't know if this has been raised before or how difficult it would
>be to
>> achieve, but when posting items to accounts, all accounts are listed
>every
>> time. This means that, for example if I want to post to an account in
>the
>> expenses section, I need to scroll through all the income accounts.
>Would it
>> be possible to have an option where the list is presented as a
>> collapsible/expandable tree? The only closely relevant option I see
>is to
>> "Only display leaf account names", which still displays all the
>accounts.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Bernie

Re: Account selection lists

Colin Law
On 17 November 2016 at 16:33, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> David,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  It does help a bit,  but takes me back 40
> years to before the mouse was invented.

That may be so, but if you know the acct you want it is much faster than
using the mouse.

Colin

> ⁣Regards,
>
> Bernie
>
> On 16 Nov 2016, 13:21, at 13:21, "David T." <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >Hi Bernie,
> >
> >If you begin typing the tree, it will quickly pare the list down based
> >on your typing. Moreover, if you type the Account Separator character
> >(usually the “:”) it will move to the next level in the hierarchy. So,
> >to get to Expenses:Auto:Fuel, I can type: ex:au:f
> >
> >See if that helps you.
> >
> >David
> >
> >> On Nov 16, 2016, at 4:58 PM, Bernie Ledwick <[hidden email]>
> >wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>

> >> I don't know if this has been raised before or how difficult it would
> >be to
> >> achieve, but when posting items to accounts, all accounts are listed
> >every
> >> time. This means that, for example if I want to post to an account in
> >the
> >> expenses section, I need to scroll through all the income accounts.
> >Would it
> >> be possible to have an option where the list is presented as a
> >> collapsible/expandable tree? The only closely relevant option I see
> >is to
> >> "Only display leaf account names", which still displays all the
> >accounts.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Bernie

Re: Account selection lists

Bernie Ledwick
Colin,

That may be so in some cases. I guess it depends on the complexity of your chart of accounts. It would be nice to have the option,  though.

⁣Regards,

Bernie

On 17 Nov 2016, 16:44, at 16:44, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 17 November 2016 at 16:33, [hidden email]
><[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion.  It does help a bit,  but takes me back 40
>> years to before the mouse was invented.
>>

>That may be so, but if you know the acct you want it is much faster
>than
>using the mouse.
>
>Colin
>

>> ⁣Regards,
>>
>> Bernie
>>
>> On 16 Nov 2016, 13:21, at 13:21, "David T." <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> >Hi Bernie,
>> >
>> >If you begin typing the tree, it will quickly pare the list down
>based
>> >on your typing. Moreover, if you type the Account Separator
>character
>> >(usually the “:”) it will move to the next level in the hierarchy.
>So,
>> >to get to Expenses:Auto:Fuel, I can type: ex:au:f
>> >
>> >See if that helps you.
>> >
>> >David

>would
>> >be to
>listed
>> >every
>in
>> >the
>accounts.
>> >Would it
>see
>> >is to
>> >accounts.

Re: Account selection lists

Colin Law
On 17 November 2016 at 16:49, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Colin,
>
> That may be so in some cases. I guess it depends on the complexity of your
> chart of accounts. It would be nice to have the option,  though.

It is possible to hide obsolete accts, which helps if you have a number of
them.  I don't remember exactly the option on the Edit Acct page and am not
at the computer at the moment. Also a combination of the keyboard and mouse
techniques is often useful, so if you know it is an expense acct but can't
remember the name then enter ex: and it will take you to the start of the
expenses.

Colin

Re: Account selection lists

John Ralls-2

> On Nov 17, 2016, at 9:02 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 17 November 2016 at 16:49, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Colin,
>>
>> That may be so in some cases. I guess it depends on the complexity of your
>> chart of accounts. It would be nice to have the option,  though.
>>

> It is possible to hide obsolete accts, which helps if you have a number of
> them.  I don't remember exactly the option on the Edit Acct page and am not
> at the computer at the moment. Also a combination of the keyboard and mouse
> techniques is often useful, so if you know it is an expense acct but can't
> remember the name then enter ex: and it will take you to the start of the
> expenses.

Marking an account as a placeholder will prevent entering new splits into it and remove it from the pick-lists.

Re: Account selection lists

> On Nov 16, 2016, at 3:58 AM, Bernie Ledwick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> I don't know if this has been raised before or how difficult it would be to
> achieve, but when posting items to accounts, all accounts are listed every
> time. This means that, for example if I want to post to an account in the
> expenses section, I need to scroll through all the income accounts. Would it
> be possible to have an option where the list is presented as a
> collapsible/expandable tree? The only closely relevant option I see is to
> "Only display leaf account names", which still displays all the accounts.

No, it's not possible. It would require a combo-box that can display a tree view, and none of the cross-platform GUI toolkits offers such a beast.

Re: Account selection lists

Peter Kiessling
 Interestingly if I do use the typing method, for instance "ex" for expenses, the list that comes up includes " hidden" accounts. The main account list does not include them.
Pete

Message: 3
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 16:49:06 +0000
From: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "David T. via gnucash-user" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Account selection lists

Colin,

That may be so in some cases. I guess it depends on the complexity of your chart of accounts. It would be nice to have the option,? though.

?Regards,

Bernie

> On 17 Nov 2016, 16:44, at 16:44, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 17 November 2016 at 16:33, [hidden email]
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion.  It does help a bit,  but takes me back 40
>> years to before the mouse was invented.
>

> That may be so, but if you know the acct you want it is much faster
> than
> using the mouse.
>
> Colin
>

>> ?Regards,
>>
>> Bernie
>>
>> On 16 Nov 2016, 13:21, at 13:21, "David T." <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>> Hi Bernie,
>>>
>>> If you begin typing the tree, it will quickly pare the list down
> based
>>> on your typing. Moreover, if you type the Account Separator
> character
>>> (usually the ?:?) it will move to the next level in the hierarchy.
> So,
>>> to get to Expenses:Auto:Fuel, I can type: ex:au:f
>>>
>>> See if that helps you.
>>>
>>> David

> would
>>> be to
> listed
>>> every
> in
>>> the
> accounts.
>>> Would it
> see
>>> is to
>>> accounts.

Sent from my iPad

> On Nov 17, 2016, at 9:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 16:49:06 +0000
> From: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "David T. via gnucash-user" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Account selection lists
>
> Colin,
>
> That may be so in some cases. I guess it depends on the complexity of your chart of accounts. It would be nice to have the option,? though.
>
> ?Regards,
>
> Bernie
>
>> On 17 Nov 2016, 16:44, at 16:44, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 17 November 2016 at 16:33, [hidden email]
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the suggestion.  It does help a bit,  but takes me back 40
>>> years to before the mouse was invented.
>>

>> That may be so, but if you know the acct you want it is much faster
>> than
>> using the mouse.
>>
>> Colin
>>

>>> ?Regards,
>>>
>>> Bernie

>> based
>> character
>> So,

>> would
>> listed
>> in
>> accounts.
>> see

Re: Account selection lists

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hidden accounts display in the combo box. Placeholder accounts do not. This is known behavior.

David

> On Nov 17, 2016, at 10:20 PM, Peter Kiessling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Interestingly if I do use the typing method, for instance "ex" for expenses, the list that comes up includes " hidden" accounts. The main account list does not include them.
> Pete
>

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 16:49:06 +0000
> From: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "David T. via gnucash-user" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Account selection lists
>
> Colin,
>
> That may be so in some cases. I guess it depends on the complexity of your chart of accounts. It would be nice to have the option,? though.
>
> ?Regards,
>
> Bernie
>
>> On 17 Nov 2016, 16:44, at 16:44, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 17 November 2016 at 16:33, [hidden email]
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the suggestion.  It does help a bit,  but takes me back 40
>>> years to before the mouse was invented.
>>

>> That may be so, but if you know the acct you want it is much faster
>> than
>> using the mouse.
>>
>> Colin
>>

>>> ?Regards,
>>>
>>> Bernie

>> based
>> character
>> So,

>> would
>> listed
>> in
>> accounts.
>> see

> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Nov 17, 2016, at 9:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 16:49:06 +0000
>> From: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
>> Cc: "David T. via gnucash-user" <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: Account selection lists
>>
>> Colin,
>>
>> That may be so in some cases. I guess it depends on the complexity of your chart of accounts. It would be nice to have the option,? though.
>>
>> ?Regards,
>>
>> Bernie
>>
>>> On 17 Nov 2016, 16:44, at 16:44, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On 17 November 2016 at 16:33, [hidden email]
>>> <[hidden email]>

>>> That may be so, but if you know the acct you want it is much faster
>>> than
>>> using the mouse.
>>>
>>> Colin

>>> based
>>> character
>>> So,

>>> would
>>> listed
>>> in
>>> accounts.
>>> see

Re: Account selection lists

Colin Law
On 17 November 2016 at 17:20, Peter Kiessling <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Interestingly if I do use the typing method, for instance "ex" for
> expenses, the list that comes up includes " hidden" accounts. The main
> account list does not include them.

Try marking it as a Placeholder, which is different to Hidden

Colin

RE: Account selection lists

Bernie Ledwick
John,

Thanks for that. If that is the case, then maybe the facility drag and drop
to or form the account tab instead. Just a thought, but I guess looking at
the lack of existing drag and drop facilities, maybe this wouldn't be
possible either?

Anyhow, GnuCash is still a cracking product. Thanks to all involved.

Regards,
Bernie

> On Nov 16, 2016, at 3:58 AM, Bernie Ledwick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> I don't know if this has been raised before or how difficult it would
> be to achieve, but when posting items to accounts, all accounts are
> listed every time. This means that, for example if I want to post to
> an account in the expenses section, I need to scroll through all the
> income accounts. Would it be possible to have an option where the list
> is presented as a collapsible/expandable tree? The only closely
> relevant option I see is to "Only display leaf account names", which still
displays all the accounts.

No, it's not possible. It would require a combo-box that can display a tree
view, and none of the cross-platform GUI toolkits offers such a beast.

Re: Account selection lists

John Ralls-2

> On Nov 20, 2016, at 4:35 AM, Bernie Ledwick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> Thanks for that. If that is the case, then maybe the facility drag and drop
> to or form the account tab instead. Just a thought, but I guess looking at
> the lack of existing drag and drop facilities, maybe this wouldn't be
> possible either?
>
> Anyhow, GnuCash is still a cracking product. Thanks to all involved.

Bernie,

Drag and drop should be possible. The cell editors in both the account page would need to be enabled for it and configured to send and receive the right sort of content. None of the development team will have the time to work on this anytime soon, but feel free to submit a patch or pull request.

In the meantime you might reconsider  your objection to using the keyboard. After all, you just typed the transaction's description, you're going to have to type the amount, and if you use the tab key instead of the mouse to move between cells then your hands stay on the keyboard and you can select desired account more quickly than you possibly could with a mouse regardless of whether you had a tree-view or a list-view.

RE: Account selection lists

Bernie Ledwick
John,

Thanks for the update. I am importing most of the transactions and it is
only the ones that are not auto-matched that I need to re-allocate. It's no
big deal, and I can definitely live with it for now. It was just a
suggestion for a slight improvement in functionality.

Unfortunately, I don't have any c++ skills at all, but maybe I could learn.
Never too late to teach old dogs...

Regards,
Bernie

> On Nov 20, 2016, at 4:35 AM, Bernie Ledwick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> Thanks for that. If that is the case, then maybe the facility drag and
> drop to or form the account tab instead. Just a thought, but I guess
> looking at the lack of existing drag and drop facilities, maybe this
> wouldn't be possible either?
>
> Anyhow, GnuCash is still a cracking product. Thanks to all involved.

Bernie,

Drag and drop should be possible. The cell editors in both the account page
would need to be enabled for it and configured to send and receive the right
sort of content. None of the development team will have the time to work on
this anytime soon, but feel free to submit a patch or pull request.

In the meantime you might reconsider  your objection to using the keyboard.
After all, you just typed the transaction's description, you're going to
have to type the amount, and if you use the tab key instead of the mouse to
move between cells then your hands stay on the keyboard and you can select
desired account more quickly than you possibly could with a mouse regardless
of whether you had a tree-view or a list-view.

RE: Account selection lists

Bernie Ledwick
John,

Sorry, just noticed something. If you do a transaction search, and select
"Account" as the type, when you click on "Selected Accounts" you get exactly
the dialogue I was looking for when allocation transactions to an account
(except in the search context, you can select multiple accounts). The same
is true in reports when selecting accounts.

I suppose, if you wanted to extend it out a bit, you could even allow
multiple account selection and create splits as appropriate for you to enter
the correct split values.

I appreciate that the current account selection is done by a combo-box, but
it can't be that difficult to invoke the  "Select Accounts to match"
dialogue can it? Am I missing something blindingly obvious here?

Regards,
Bernie

> On Nov 20, 2016, at 4:35 AM, Bernie Ledwick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> Thanks for that. If that is the case, then maybe the facility drag and
> drop to or form the account tab instead. Just a thought, but I guess
> looking at the lack of existing drag and drop facilities, maybe this
> wouldn't be possible either?
>
> Anyhow, GnuCash is still a cracking product. Thanks to all involved.

Bernie,

Drag and drop should be possible. The cell editors in both the account page
would need to be enabled for it and configured to send and receive the right
sort of content. None of the development team will have the time to work on
this anytime soon, but feel free to submit a patch or pull request.

In the meantime you might reconsider  your objection to using the keyboard.
After all, you just typed the transaction's description, you're going to
have to type the amount, and if you use the tab key instead of the mouse to
move between cells then your hands stay on the keyboard and you can select
desired account more quickly than you possibly could with a mouse regardless
of whether you had a tree-view or a list-view.

Re: Account selection lists

John Ralls-2

> On Nov 20, 2016, at 8:41 AM, Bernie Ledwick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> Sorry, just noticed something. If you do a transaction search, and select
> "Account" as the type, when you click on "Selected Accounts" you get exactly
> the dialogue I was looking for when allocation transactions to an account
> (except in the search context, you can select multiple accounts). The same
> is true in reports when selecting accounts.
>
> I suppose, if you wanted to extend it out a bit, you could even allow
> multiple account selection and create splits as appropriate for you to enter
> the correct split values.
>
> I appreciate that the current account selection is done by a combo-box, but
> it can't be that difficult to invoke the  "Select Accounts to match"
> dialogue can it? Am I missing something blindingly obvious here?

Right, and you'll get a similar dialog box if you select the accounts in the matcher instead of letting them go to imbalance and correcting them afterwards. That has the added benefit of training the matcher for future imports.

No, there is no way to launch a dialog box from a GtkListView cell, nor is there a GtkTreeView cell renderer. Either could be written, of course, but it's not a simple task. Either would lose existing keyboard functionality and so annoy other users. That could be overcome by writing a combination combo-box/tree-view GtkWidget and then a GtkCellRenderer to embed it in the list view, still more work. There are no resources in the dev team for that work.

FWIW, the GUI code is in C because Gtk+ is. No C++ required.