Account Tree View

Katharine Timberlake
A new member to the forum: I have my question ready! Whether I will be
able to contribute much at all I do not know, as I am not an accountant,
just running a small business and large home ...

I cannot get my account tree view for one of my account files. One opens
up fine, the other one I lost sometime ago, don't know how, and cannot
find the view again. I can put in data, but to have expandable and
collapsible subaccounts is jolly handy!

Thanks in advance

Katharine

Re: Account Tree View

Derek Atkins
Have you tried File -> New Account Tree ?

-derek

Quoting Katharine Timberlake <[hidden email]>:

> A new member to the forum: I have my question ready! Whether I will
> be able to contribute much at all I do not know, as I am not an
> accountant, just running a small business and large home ...
>
> I cannot get my account tree view for one of my account files. One
> opens up fine, the other one I lost sometime ago, don't know how, and
> cannot find the view again. I can put in data, but to have expandable
> and collapsible subaccounts is jolly handy!
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Katharine

Re: Account Tree View

Katharine Timberlake
Yes! Thank you. I would not have expected something 'new' to work.

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Have you tried File -> New Account Tree ?
>
> -derek
>
> Quoting Katharine Timberlake <[hidden email]>:
>
>> A new member to the forum: I have my question ready! Whether I will
>> be able to contribute much at all I do not know, as I am not an
>> accountant, just running a small business and large home ...
>>
>> I cannot get my account tree view for one of my account files. One
>> opens up fine, the other one I lost sometime ago, don't know how, and
>> cannot find the view again. I can put in data, but to have expandable
>> and collapsible subaccounts is jolly handy!
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Katharine

Re: Account Tree View

Andrew Sackville-West
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:53:18 +0000
Katharine Timberlake <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes! Thank you. I would not have expected something 'new' to work.

I've wondered about that as well. My first assumption on reading "New Account Tree" is that it would create a new tree for a totally new chart of accounts. Handy if you're crunching numbers for Enron, I suppose.

I see that it is slightly changed in SVN, and maybe its more clear there. I'm thinking perhaps it should be under View menu instead? Call it "Show account tree"?

.02

> Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Have you tried File -> New Account Tree ?
> >
> > -derek
> >
> > Quoting Katharine Timberlake <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >> A new member to the forum: I have my question ready! Whether I will
> >> be able to contribute much at all I do not know, as I am not an
> >> accountant, just running a small business and large home ...
> >>
> >> I cannot get my account tree view for one of my account files. One
> >> opens up fine, the other one I lost sometime ago, don't know how, and
> >> cannot find the view again. I can put in data, but to have expandable
> >> and collapsible subaccounts is jolly handy!
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance
> >>
> >> Katharine
> >
> > -derek

Re: Account Tree View

Derek Atkins
Andrew Sackville-West <[hidden email]> writes:

> I've wondered about that as well. My first assumption on reading
> "New Account Tree" is that it would create a new tree for a totally
> new chart of accounts. Handy if you're crunching numbers for Enron,
> I suppose.

No, that's what File -> New File is for.
The tooltip for File -> New Account Tree should be fairly explicit
about what it does..

> I see that it is slightly changed in SVN, and maybe its more clear
> there. I'm thinking perhaps it should be under View menu instead?
> Call it "Show account tree"?

Except it really /will/ create a new Account Tree page, so you can
have multiple "views" into the same set of accounts.  You /can/ have
multiple "accounts" tabs open at once.