Quantcast

Account Code

BertTech
Hello

I am just starting to use GNUCash, so I am totally new to it.
In the past I have used for our own household and our business a program I
wrote myself under the Theos O/S using Theos Basic. This software had a/c
Receivable and a/c Payable stock control and jobcards.
The question I have is: In the account setup in GnuCash it has an Account
Code where does this link to? I tried to put some accounts in with an
account code and I expected that if I would put the code in the "Num" column
the account with that code would come up in the Transfer column.
Is there something more I need to do to tie them together?

Looking forward to your reply.

Bert Vermeulen

Liz

Re: Account Code

Liz
On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 19:46:13 +0800
"BertTech" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am just starting to use GNUCash, so I am totally new to it.
> In the past I have used for our own household and our business a
> program I wrote myself under the Theos O/S using Theos Basic. This
> software had a/c Receivable and a/c Payable stock control and
> jobcards. The question I have is: In the account setup in GnuCash it
> has an Account Code where does this link to? I tried to put some
> accounts in with an account code and I expected that if I would put
> the code in the "Num" column the account with that code would come up
> in the Transfer column. Is there something more I need to do to tie
> them together?
>
> Looking forward to your reply.
>
> Bert Vermeulen

Wow
The Theos OS we had where I work went back to 1980 with the arrival of
01/01/2000
I never thought I'd hear about Theos OS again..

the Num column is not for Transfer accounts - it takes a cheque number
or a EFT or Bpay number
The account codes are quite optional, you just put the name of the
account in the transfer column.
I'm sure someone will fill us in on how to use Account Codes properly.

Re: Account Code

Robert Heller
At Wed, 13 Jun 2012 19:49:40 +1000 Liz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 19:46:13 +0800
> "BertTech" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I am just starting to use GNUCash, so I am totally new to it.
> > In the past I have used for our own household and our business a
> > program I wrote myself under the Theos O/S using Theos Basic. This
> > software had a/c Receivable and a/c Payable stock control and
> > jobcards. The question I have is: In the account setup in GnuCash it
> > has an Account Code where does this link to? I tried to put some
> > accounts in with an account code and I expected that if I would put
> > the code in the "Num" column the account with that code would come up
> > in the Transfer column. Is there something more I need to do to tie
> > them together?
> >
> > Looking forward to your reply.
> >
> > Bert Vermeulen
> >

> Wow
> The Theos OS we had where I work went back to 1980 with the arrival of
> 01/01/2000
> I never thought I'd hear about Theos OS again..
>
> the Num column is not for Transfer accounts - it takes a cheque number
> or a EFT or Bpay number
> The account codes are quite optional, you just put the name of the
> account in the transfer column.
> I'm sure someone will fill us in on how to use Account Codes properly.

Account Codes are just a random code for accounting identification
purposes.  Large businesses / organizations use some sort of
identitication code system for accounts, like say all 900XXXXXX accounts are
employee expense accounts and all 777XXXXXX accounts are general
business expense accounts (like utilites or rent) and all 411XXXXXXX
accounts are vendor accounts and all 599XXXXXXXX accounts are customer
billing accounts, and so on.  If this is for personal use or if your
business is small, you can just leave the account code field empty and
just use the account names.  You *could* put in actual account numbers
in the Account Codes field, but that would be a Really Bad Idea from a
security point of view (eg someone steals your computer and now knows your
bank and credit card numbers -- opps!).

Basically the Account Codes are a 'human' level version of the UUID's
GnuCash uses internal to itself to identify accounts.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / [hidden email]
Deepwoods Software        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/
()  ascii ribbon campaign -- against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org   -- against proprietary attachments

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: Account Code

David Carlson
On 6/13/2012 4:49 AM, Liz wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 19:46:13 +0800
> "BertTech" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I am just starting to use GNUCash, so I am totally new to it.
>> In the past I have used for our own household and our business a
>> program I wrote myself under the Theos O/S using Theos Basic. This
>> software had a/c Receivable and a/c Payable stock control and
>> jobcards. The question I have is: In the account setup in GnuCash it
>> has an Account Code where does this link to? I tried to put some
>> accounts in with an account code and I expected that if I would put
>> the code in the "Num" column the account with that code would come up
>> in the Transfer column. Is there something more I need to do to tie
>> them together?
>>
>> Looking forward to your reply.
>>
>> Bert Vermeulen
>>
> Wow
> The Theos OS we had where I work went back to 1980 with the arrival of
> 01/01/2000
> I never thought I'd hear about Theos OS again..
>
> the Num column is not for Transfer accounts - it takes a cheque number
> or a EFT or Bpay number
> The account codes are quite optional, you just put the name of the
> account in the transfer column.
> I'm sure someone will fill us in on how to use Account Codes properly.

Bert
Account Codes can be used in the transfer field to enter the transfer
account.  This is great if you have your frequently used codes
memorized.  They can also be used to sort accounts in your chart of
accounts and in some reports.

I wish there was a way to make them appear in the drop down list for the
transfer account box, but afik, that is not possible.  In fact, the drop
down list cannot be sorted by account code either.

I believe account codes is a great idea that is only partially
implemented in GnuCash.  Look in http://gnucash.uservoice.com/ for a
place to ask for improvements to account codes.

David C

0xDC7C8BF3.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Account Code

Mike or Penny Novack

>>The account codes are quite optional, you just put the name of the
>>account in the transfer column.
>>I'm sure someone will fill us in on how to use Account Codes properly.

1) Unlikely you'd need these for personal books.

2) Some jurisdictions not only require them but specify how to be used
(France, I believe does this)

3) But to give a more practical example. Suppose you are the treasurer
presenting your report to your organization. Isn't it going to be useful
to be able to say "look at 4013" than "look at Speaker Fees" (an income
account). That assumes you have assigned numbers in some logical
fashion, perhaps all income items have a first digit of "4", the first
income parent group a second digit of "0", etc. You know roughly where a
particular account would appear in the report, they don't.

Michael

Re: Account Code

Derek Atkins
Mike or Penny Novack <[hidden email]> writes:

>>>The account codes are quite optional, you just put the name of the
>>>account in the transfer column.
>>>I'm sure someone will fill us in on how to use Account Codes properly.
>>>

> 1) Unlikely you'd need these for personal books.
>
> 2) Some jurisdictions not only require them but specify how to be used
> (France, I believe does this)
>
> 3) But to give a more practical example. Suppose you are the treasurer
> presenting your report to your organization. Isn't it going to be
> useful to be able to say "look at 4013" than "look at Speaker Fees"
> (an income account). That assumes you have assigned numbers in some
> logical fashion, perhaps all income items have a first digit of "4",
> the first income parent group a second digit of "0", etc. You know
> roughly where a particular account would appear in the report, they
> don't.

I would expect it in Alphabetical Order, so "Speaker Fees" would appear
after "Salmon Cakes" and before "Stupid Tax".   :)

> Michael

Re: Account Code

Yawar Amin
Ok I was expecting someone would say  this, but no one has so far: when entering a transaction, you type the account code in the same place where you would type or choose an account name. Then when you Tab over to the next field, GnuCash automatically replaces the code with its corresponding account name.

I use account codes as a fast and easy way to enter accounts in transactions. If you're interested, you can search for previous emails I've sent to the list on the subject.

Regards,

Yawar

On 2012-06-12, at 7:46, "BertTech" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am just starting to use GNUCash, so I am totally new to it.
> In the past I have used for our own household and our business a program I
> wrote myself under the Theos O/S using Theos Basic. This software had a/c
> Receivable and a/c Payable stock control and jobcards.
> The question I have is: In the account setup in GnuCash it has an Account
> Code where does this link to? I tried to put some accounts in with an
> account code and I expected that if I would put the code in the "Num" column
> the account with that code would come up in the Transfer column.
> Is there something more I need to do to tie them together?
>
> Looking forward to your reply.
>
> Bert Vermeulen

Re: Account Code

Mike or Penny Novack

>I would expect it in Alphabetical Order, so "Speaker Fees" would appear
>after "Salmon Cakes" and before "Stupid Tax".   :)

No, accounts are usually grouped logically. Between those if/f Speaker
Fees, Salmon Cakes, and Stupid Tax all belonged to the same logical
group (under the same parent).

Was discussing an income amount (when we provide speakers the
organization for which we provided the program might give us a
donation). We would NOT have this in alphabetical order between RKO
income and TBO income. Assuming we received grant money from
organizations with those names those would be found under a Grant Income
parent but Speaker Fees isn't grant income.

Note that in the case of the organization described (for which I am
treasurer) not so many accounts that I bother with account numbers. But
another organization for which I serve on the finance committee there
are hundreds of accounts and so a numbering scheme very useful.

Michael

Re: Account Code

Derek Atkins
Mike or Penny Novack <[hidden email]> writes:

>>I would expect it in Alphabetical Order, so "Speaker Fees" would appear
>>after "Salmon Cakes" and before "Stupid Tax".   :)
>>

> No, accounts are usually grouped logically. Between those if/f Speaker
> Fees, Salmon Cakes, and Stupid Tax all belonged to the same logical
> group (under the same parent).

Sure, I was assuming it was all under e.g. Expenses:Foo:

The point being that you can logically group the accounts using
human-readable strings just as easily (and IMHO more modern-day human
friendly) than using numbers.  *ANYONE* could understand
"Expenses:Utilities:Water" and know that the account is for.  But if I
just said "$12,387 in account 4127", what would that mean?  You'd need
to *know* what "4127" meant, and your 4127 might not be the same as my
4127.  But "Ex:Ut:Water" works for anyone, anywhere (provided, of
course, you understand English).