ANNOUNCE: [MAINT] server upgrade planned Feb 3, 2019 1200-2300 US/EST

ANNOUNCE: [MAINT] server upgrade planned Feb 3, 2019 1200-2300 US/EST

Derek Atkins-3
Hi,

PLANNED MAINTENANCE
WHAT:  Upgrading Operating System on Code
WHEN:  Feb 3, 2019  1200-2300 US/EST (1700-0400 UTC)

tl;dr: I am planning to upgrade the OS on code.gnucash.org on February
        3, 2019 from 1200-2300 US/EDT (1700-0400 UTC).  During this
        time, git master, wiki, email/mailman, and gncbot/irc logs will
        all be unavailable.  I'll be on #gnucash IRC for real-time
        updates and notices.

Long version:

The GnuCash "everything" server is getting a little long on the tooth,
and to enable some upgraded build tools I plan to upgrade the server
from Fedora 25 to Fedora 29.  I plan to do this upgrade on Sunday,
February 3, 2019, starting somewhere around 12:00 noon US/EST (although
my personal schedule might push that back, hense the long maintenance
window).  I've upgraded a few systems from F25 -> F29 already, some of
them upgraded in an hour, one system took over 4 hours.

Code has lots of services so I expect it will take a long time to
upgrade and verify that everything is working.

During the upgrade window code will be unavailable, and the services
running on code will be unavailable.  I will stay on IRC during the
upgrade to make real-time announcements.

Please let me know if this time frame does not work for you.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: ANNOUNCE: [GNC] [MAINT] server upgrade planned Feb 3, 2019 1200-2300 US/EST

Derek Atkins-3
Hi,

Just a reminder that this is planned for tomorrow.  I'm still not 100%
sure of the exact timing, but I'll announce on IRC before I start and
will be available on IRC during the process.  I'll send mail when the
upgrade is complete!

-derek

Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> PLANNED MAINTENANCE
> WHAT:  Upgrading Operating System on Code
> WHEN:  Feb 3, 2019  1200-2300 US/EST (1700-0400 UTC)
>

> tl;dr: I am planning to upgrade the OS on code.gnucash.org on February
>         3, 2019 from 1200-2300 US/EDT (1700-0400 UTC).  During this
>         time, git master, wiki, email/mailman, and gncbot/irc logs will
>         all be unavailable.  I'll be on #gnucash IRC for real-time
>         updates and notices.
>

> Long version:
>
> The GnuCash "everything" server is getting a little long on the tooth,
> and to enable some upgraded build tools I plan to upgrade the server
> from Fedora 25 to Fedora 29.  I plan to do this upgrade on Sunday,
> February 3, 2019, starting somewhere around 12:00 noon US/EST (although
> my personal schedule might push that back, hense the long maintenance
> window).  I've upgraded a few systems from F25 -> F29 already, some of
> them upgraded in an hour, one system took over 4 hours.
>
> Code has lots of services so I expect it will take a long time to
> upgrade and verify that everything is working.
>
> During the upgrade window code will be unavailable, and the services
> running on code will be unavailable.  I will stay on IRC during the
> upgrade to make real-time announcements.
>
> Please let me know if this time frame does not work for you.
>
> Thanks,

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

ANNOUNCE: [MAINT] server upgrade complete

Derek Atkins-3
Hi,

The server upgrade is complete, and it appears that all services are
running normally.  Please let me know if you notice any bugs!

Thanks!

-derek

On Sat, February 2, 2019 4:13 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just a reminder that this is planned for tomorrow.  I'm still not 100%
> sure of the exact timing, but I'll announce on IRC before I start and
> will be available on IRC during the process.  I'll send mail when the
> upgrade is complete!
>
> -derek
>
> Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> PLANNED MAINTENANCE
>> WHAT:  Upgrading Operating System on Code
>> WHEN:  Feb 3, 2019  1200-2300 US/EST (1700-0400 UTC)
>>

>> tl;dr: I am planning to upgrade the OS on code.gnucash.org on February
>>         3, 2019 from 1200-2300 US/EDT (1700-0400 UTC).  During this
>>         time, git master, wiki, email/mailman, and gncbot/irc logs will
>>         all be unavailable.  I'll be on #gnucash IRC for real-time
>>         updates and notices.
>>

>> Long version:
>>
>> The GnuCash "everything" server is getting a little long on the tooth,
>> and to enable some upgraded build tools I plan to upgrade the server
>> from Fedora 25 to Fedora 29.  I plan to do this upgrade on Sunday,
>> February 3, 2019, starting somewhere around 12:00 noon US/EST (although
>> my personal schedule might push that back, hense the long maintenance
>> window).  I've upgraded a few systems from F25 -> F29 already, some of
>> them upgraded in an hour, one system took over 4 hours.
>>
>> Code has lots of services so I expect it will take a long time to
>> upgrade and verify that everything is working.
>>
>> During the upgrade window code will be unavailable, and the services
>> running on code will be unavailable.  I will stay on IRC during the
>> upgrade to make real-time announcements.
>>
>> Please let me know if this time frame does not work for you.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -derek
>
> --
>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745