ANNOUNCE: [MAINT] More network maintenance for Saturday

ANNOUNCE: [MAINT] More network maintenance for Saturday

In my ongoing effort to debug my network issues, I need to add a new
network card to the VM host that runs code.gnucash.org (among other
VMs).  This will involve some downtime as I install and configure
the new card in the machine.

The card is due to arrive sometime tomorrow (Saturday, Oct 7).  I expect
I wont have time to do perform the surgery until the evening (US/EDT).
I'll post on IRC when I plan to start.

My hope is that the downtime will be under 30 minutes.

Re: ANNOUNCE: [MAINT] More network maintenance for Saturday

Just want to report that:

1) The card arrived and I performed the maintenance on Saturday
   evening.  It took much longer than expected to get the Ovirt Host to
   persist the new connection.

2) Alas, once I got the new card installed, the problem did not go
   away.  This implies that it was not the issue, so I need to go back
   and continue searching.  :(

My next step is swap out my router with my older one, just to ensure the
router isn't the issue.

-derek

Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> In my ongoing effort to debug my network issues, I need to add a new
> network card to the VM host that runs code.gnucash.org (among other
> VMs).  This will involve some downtime as I install and configure
> the new card in the machine.
>
> The card is due to arrive sometime tomorrow (Saturday, Oct 7).  I expect
> I wont have time to do perform the surgery until the evening (US/EDT).
> I'll post on IRC when I plan to start.
>
> My hope is that the downtime will be under 30 minutes.

ANNOUNCE: [MAINT] Update: issue found (was Re: More network maintenance for Saturday)

Derek Atkins
Hi All,

One more update, with some good news and bad news.

tl;dr:  I (temporarily) solved the network issues causing major packet
        delays and some packet loss, however this required turning off
        my IPv6 tunnel.

The good news is that I finally found the trigger for the network
issues, so I now have a clean network.  I discovered this last night
while trying to debug it further, and tested overnight with positive
results.  The bad news is that the issue is (was?) my IPv6 tunnel, which
means to fix the issue I had to turn off v6.  This has the side-effect
that if you're using v6 you will see a delay when trying to access the
GnuCash infrastructure, at least until I can determine how to resolve
this issue.

At least this gives me somewhere to focus and search; I can limit the
testing, and focus my testing efforts there.  It does appear that only
upstream IPv6 traffic is causing the problem, so incoming data isn't
causing it.  This means I can keep myself in good shape just by keeping
the routing table empty.  It also *looks* like I can trigger the issue
just by running mtr -6 www.google.com (although it's possible that there
is other v6 traffic going on).

I plan to continue testing, but in the short term I expect to keep my v6
network turned off.  I will require some network downtime to perform
further tests, so I'll ask on IRC before I pull the plug to run my tests.

My apologies if this affects you in an negative way.