ANNOUNCE: Announcement: GnuCash 2.5.5 (Unstable) Released
The GnuCash development team proudly announces GnuCash 2.5.5, the sixth release in the 2.5.x series of the GnuCash Free Accounting Software which will eventually lead to the stable version 2.6.0. It runs on GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris and Mac OSX.
WARNING: This is an UNSTABLE version of GnuCash.
This release is intended for developers and testers who want to help find bugs and other problems to make the eventual stable release better.
Make sure you make backups of any files used in testing versions of GnuCash in the 2.5.x series. Although the developers go to great lengths to ensure that no data will be lost we cannot guarantee that your data will not be affected if for some reason GnuCash crashes in testing these releases.
NOTE: The latest stable version is 2.4.13.
Please TEST, TEST, and TEST some more any and all features important to you. Then post any bugs you find to Bugzilla
Major changes in the 2.5 series
* Robert Fewell has contributed a rewrite of the register (GnuCash's primary interface window) to use the GtkTreeModel (select "register 2" from the menu) as well as a new CSV import/export facility for account trees. Take care not to try to open a single account in both the old and new registers at the same time. Doing so will crash Gncuash
Note that this introduces some new preferences:
* In the Accounts Pane:
* Show the Account Color as background
* Show the Account Color on tabs
These both default to "off", which means that if you have account colors on tabs in an earlier version of GnuCash, you'll want to enable the second one.
* In the Register Defaults Pane:
* Number of characters for auto complete
* Show entered and reconciled dates on selection
* Show the calendar buttons
* Move the selection to the blank split on expand
These affect the behavior of only the new Register2 windows.
These new preferences have not yet been documented in the Help Manual.
* GnuCash now requires Gtk+-2.24 and GLib-2.26. We've removed most of the dependencies on libraries obsoleted by project Ridley and will be in position to move to Gtk+-3.x once the GtkTreeModel register window work is complete. This means that GnuCash 2.5 requires Debian 6, RHEL 6, or one of the more aggressive distributions like Ubuntu.
* GnuCash now works with Guile-2.0, but enabling Guile-2.0 support requires building GnuCash with Swig-2.0.10. The distribution tarballs were built with this version and should work with Guile-2.0
* The business module has been revamped and we introduce some new features:
* Credit Notes
* Customer and Vendor Overview Pages
* Customer Overview Reports
* Existing Transactions may be reassigned as invoice payments
* Support for duplicate invoices
* Improved invoice and bill handling: Post, print, or duplicate multiple items directly from a search results list
* Better invoice printing setup: Choose a default invoice report as a preference
* Reorder invoice entries in the invoice window
* The "Num" field is now optionally per-split rather than per-transaction.
* GnuCash can print to a PDF for reports and invoices
* Account "Filter By" settings can be saved and recalled
* Account entries in the Chart of Account can be colored
* When opening a locked "book" one now has the option of opening it read-only. Note that GnuCash is still a single-user program and that the database backends are still used only as a data store.
* Tom Loft has contributed an initial version of REST API allowing minimal information about accounts, invoices and customers to be accessed in JSON format. Includes modifications to gnucash_core.py to add additional functions.
* GnuCash is no longer subject to the "2038" bug, so that 30-year mortgages can now be entered correctly.
* By agreement of all authors we have relicensed GnuCash to the Gnu Public License Version 2 or later from just Version 2.
Changes Since the Last Unstable Release
* Bug #334939: Account Report and Account Transaction Report are apparently the same, but different. Change menu entry for the single transaction Account Report from "Accout Transaction Report" to "Account Report - Single Transaction" Author: Carsten Rinke
* Bug #603183: Equity statement shows incorrect changes Add function gnc:account-get-total-flow to report-utilities.scm This function filters the splits from the source to the target accounts and returns a commodity collector. It does NOT do currency exchanges. Export the new function gnc:account-get-total-flow from report-utilities.scm. Apply the new function gnc:account-get-total-flow for the "Withdrawal" calculation. Author: Carsten Rinke
* Bug #629136: Move the code that updates the sensitivity of immutable page actions from gnc_main_window_switch_page to gnc_main_window_generate_title. Patch by Guilherme Salgado.
* Bug #696492: Change report name in menu or in report output to be consistent Change the register name to "Accout Transaction Report" when the register type is GENERAL_LEDGER, INCOME_LEDGER, or default in function gnc_reg_get_name(). Patch by Carsten Rinke.
* Bug #704039: time zone is not respected on windows Author: Kuang-che Wu
* Bug #704056: Online Banking (Online Actions) does not appear in Action menu Ensure that all functions are exported to the dll.
* Bug #704525: When you have a mix of chart types (bar charts and pie charts). Add new procedure gnc:substring-replace-from-to Similar to gnc:substring-replace, but offers the possibility to replace substrings in a range of occurances. Add calls to gnc:substring-replace-from-to to procedure gnc:report-run. Filter out all occurances of jquery.min.js and jquery.jqplot.js except for the first occurances. Author: Carsten Rinke
* Translations updated: Lithuanian
Caveats for Testers
Any 2.5.x version might crash unexpectedly. If you must test with important data in a 2.5.x release and are using the XML file backend for data storage, be sure to save the file frequently. If you are using the SQL backend, this is not required as every change is saved immediately to the database.
Although the screenshots have been updated in the documentation, much of the wording still describes GnuCash-2.4. Please help update the documentation: See the development wiki page on how to get involved.
How can you help?
• Testing: Please try out as many features as you can. Report problems either in bug reportsor on the devel mailing list
• Translating: Translators may begin work on new strings at any time, though string freeze isn't planned until the 2.5.5 release in early September. Status of translations is shown on the translation status page. If GnuCash isn't fully translated into your language and you'd like to pitch in, here's how to get involved.
Source code for GnuCash 2.5.5 can be downloaded from multiple locations:
• The GnuCash website
• Sourceforge: bzip2, gzip, all files.
• You can also checkout the sources directly from the repository with subversion:
git clone git://github.com/GnuCash/gnucash.git
To install GnuCash, you will need Gnome 2 and guile 1.8 or 2.0, including devel packages. In addition you will need swig (swig-2.0.10 for guile 2.0, see the note at the top) if compiling from subversion or git.
Win32 and MacOSX binary
The following pre-compiled application packages are also available:
• GnuCash 2.5.5 Win32 setup executable
• GnuCash 2.5.5 MacOSX dmg for Intel Macs
• GnuCash 2.5.5 MacOSX dmg for PowerPC Macs
About the Program
GnuCash is a free, open source accounting program released under the GNU General Public License (GPL) Version 2 or Version 3 and available for GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris, Mac OSX and Microsoft Windows. Programming on GnuCash began in 1997, and its first stable release was in 1998.
gnucash-announce mailing list
[hidden email] https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-announce