A/R and payments

Baurzhan Ismagulov
Hello all,

I'm trying to understand how A/R and payments work. I've created a
customer, added a new invoice, filled in the income account, quantity,
and unit price. I can see the correct total in File -> Print Invoice.

After that, I post the invoice to the A/R account. I can see the correct
amount in the customer report, but in A/R, Invoice and Payment fields
are empty, balance is 0.

Now I enter a payment for this invoice, giving the amount and the
transfer account. Again, I see correct figures in the Customer Report,
but the transaction in the transfer account has Receive and Spend fields
empty.

Is this how it is supposed to work? I would expect that I see the total
amount of unpaid invoices in A/R, and that the transaction in the
transfer account is filled in for me automagically from the payment
dialog. How can I achieve that?

I'm using GnuCash 2.0.2 r14936 on Debian unstable.

Thanks in advance,
--
Baurzhan Ismagulov
http://www.kz-easy.com/

Re: A/R and payments

Derek Atkins
What are your account currencies?

-derek

Quoting Baurzhan Ismagulov <[hidden email]>:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to understand how A/R and payments work. I've created a
> customer, added a new invoice, filled in the income account, quantity,
> and unit price. I can see the correct total in File -> Print Invoice.
>
> After that, I post the invoice to the A/R account. I can see the correct
> amount in the customer report, but in A/R, Invoice and Payment fields
> are empty, balance is 0.
>
> Now I enter a payment for this invoice, giving the amount and the
> transfer account. Again, I see correct figures in the Customer Report,
> but the transaction in the transfer account has Receive and Spend fields
> empty.
>
> Is this how it is supposed to work? I would expect that I see the total
> amount of unpaid invoices in A/R, and that the transaction in the
> transfer account is filled in for me automagically from the payment
> dialog. How can I achieve that?
>
> I'm using GnuCash 2.0.2 r14936 on Debian unstable.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> --
> Baurzhan Ismagulov
> http://www.kz-easy.com/

Re: A/R and payments

Baurzhan Ismagulov
Hello Derek,

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 01:36:43PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> What are your account currencies?

All accounts -- A/R, transfer account, income account -- are in EUR.

Should I perhaps create a minimal .gcf file?

With kind regards,
--
Baurzhan Ismagulov
http://www.kz-easy.com/

Re: A/R and payments

Derek Atkins
Quoting Baurzhan Ismagulov <[hidden email]>:

> Hello Derek,
>
> On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 01:36:43PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> What are your account currencies?
>
> All accounts -- A/R, transfer account, income account -- are in EUR.

What's your Customer currrency setting?
What's your LANG (locale) setting?

> Should I perhaps create a minimal .gcf file?

Might help..

> With kind regards,
> --
> Baurzhan Ismagulov
> http://www.kz-easy.com/

Re: A/R and payments

Baurzhan Ismagulov
On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 03:08:00PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> >All accounts -- A/R, transfer account, income account -- are in EUR.
>
> What's your Customer currrency setting?

Aha, after I changed the Customer's currency to EUR, I can see the newly
added invoices in the A/R with the correct Invoice value. Thanks!

> What's your LANG (locale) setting?

LANG=
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

I still have some issues:

* I would expect that GnuCash refuses to post an invoice to an A/R
  account in another currency. Is the current behavior how it is
  intended to work?

* The Customer Report sometimes shows the list with both USD and EUR,
  and sometimes it doesn't show the EUR invoices.

* Is it possible to delete Customers and Invoices?

* It would be nice to have Customer and Invoice listings just like
  transactions, so that it's possible to see all of them without having
  to search them.

With kind regards,
--
Baurzhan Ismagulov
http://www.kz-easy.com/

Re: A/R and payments

Derek Atkins
Quoting Baurzhan Ismagulov <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 03:08:00PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> >All accounts -- A/R, transfer account, income account -- are in EUR.
>>
>> What's your Customer currrency setting?
>
> Aha, after I changed the Customer's currency to EUR, I can see the newly
> added invoices in the A/R with the correct Invoice value. Thanks!

Makes sense...

>> What's your LANG (locale) setting?
>
> LANG=
> LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
> LC_TIME="POSIX"
> LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
> LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
> LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
> LC_PAPER="POSIX"
> LC_NAME="POSIX"
> LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
> LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
> LC_ALL=

OH!  Well, that explains the USD...

> I still have some issues:
>
> * I would expect that GnuCash refuses to post an invoice to an A/R
>  account in another currency. Is the current behavior how it is
>  intended to work?

Well, depends on exactly what you mean by "intended".  The business
system was designed with only a single currency in mind.  I.e.,
the business code is NOT multi-currency-safe.  But it doesn't enforce
the single-currency, and when you, the user, screw it up and don't
maintain consistency then it wont work right, which is the behavior
you saw.

> * The Customer Report sometimes shows the list with both USD and EUR,
>  and sometimes it doesn't show the EUR invoices.

This is probably because you've got a mixed currency system.  Your locale
currency is USD.  Change that to EUR and you'll probably be MUCH happier.
(note that you need to change this in your LOCALE, not in gnucash).

> * Is it possible to delete Customers and Invoices?

Nope.  But you can mark them "inactive" so they no longer show up
on the default searches.

> * It would be nice to have Customer and Invoice listings just like
>  transactions, so that it's possible to see all of them without having
>  to search them.

Noted, but unlikely to ever happen unless someone donates the code.
Note that you DO have the aging reports which can list customers, and
from there you can get to a list of customer's invoices, and from there
to the individual invoices...

> With kind regards,

Re: A/R and payments

Baurzhan Ismagulov