4 useable sub accounts maximum.

matt-72
I have set up my 401K in a retirement account, when creating the account
the druid gave me 4 sub accounts which I can use and rename as needed. I
have 8 sub accounts in my 401K plan. When trying to create new accounts
I run into a problem with the commodity field. If I choose stock or
mutual fund for the account type, the commodity field goes blank. In the
other sub accounts created by the druid the commodity is set to AMEX and
USD as the currency, but in my account I am trying to create, choosing
AMEX does not give any options in the currency field. All I really need
is 8 accounts that are purchased in shares. Has anyone else experienced
this? and what would be a workaround?

Re: 4 useable sub accounts maximum.

Derek Atkins
USB isn't valid for a commodity (stock/mutual-fund) account.  The
new hierarchy druid has a bug that it allows you to create such an
account.  Click the 'new commodity' button and create a new one
for your accounts.

-derek

Quoting matt <[hidden email]>:

> I have set up my 401K in a retirement account, when creating the
> account the druid gave me 4 sub accounts which I can use and rename
> as needed. I have 8 sub accounts in my 401K plan. When trying to
> create new accounts I run into a problem with the commodity field. If
> I choose stock or mutual fund for the account type, the commodity
> field goes blank. In the other sub accounts created by the druid the
> commodity is set to AMEX and USD as the currency, but in my account I
> am trying to create, choosing AMEX does not give any options in the
> currency field. All I really need is 8 accounts that are purchased in
> shares. Has anyone else experienced this? and what would be a
> workaround?

Re: 4 useable sub accounts maximum.

David Hampton-2
On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 07:48 -0600, matt wrote:
> I have set up my 401K in a retirement account, when creating the account
> the druid gave me 4 sub accounts which I can use and rename as needed. I
> have 8 sub accounts in my 401K plan. When trying to create new accounts
> I run into a problem with the commodity field. If I choose stock or
> mutual fund for the account type, the commodity field goes blank.

That's to be expected as you can't have a stock or mutual fund account
containing USD.  Click the "Select" button next to the Commodity field
to change the commodity for that account.

>  In the
> other sub accounts created by the druid the commodity is set to AMEX and
> USD as the currency, but in my account I am trying to create, choosing
> AMEX does not give any options in the currency field.

Gnucash doesn't come with any pre-defined stock or mutual funds.  Once
you've clicked the "select" button, click the "new" button in the dialog
that appears and enter the information for one of your mutual funds.
Repeat this for each account.