2.0.1 on FC5 trying online banking in the US

2.0.1 on FC5 trying online banking in the US

Dawning Sky
Hi,

I've been using gnucash for a few years now.  Just upgraded to 2.0.1
using the rpm's on my FC5 machine.

Now I'm trying to get online banking to work.   I've been trying to follow

http://www.jongsma.org/gc/

I've tried a few banks that I have accounts with but nothing worked.
I even downloaded my own fidata using the script on the page.  Now my
questions are:

1. Is there a way to tell gnucash or aqbanking to use the downloaded
fidata automatically?
2. What's the proper procedure to set up the US online banking info in gnucash?

Thanks,

DS

Re: 2.0.1 on FC5 trying online banking in the US

David Reiser
Discussion can go back to gnucash-user, I'm just copying -devel in
case someone only saw the second request...

On Sep 17, 2006, at 2:27 AM, Dawning Sky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using gnucash for a few years now.  Just upgraded to 2.0.1
> using the rpm's on my FC5 machine.
>
> Now I'm trying to get online banking to work.   I've been trying to
> follow
>
> http://www.jongsma.org/gc/
>
> I've tried a few banks that I have accounts with but nothing worked.

Which banks? What types of accounts? One's first pass through fidata
can be quite confusing. Also, if any of your <ORG> fields say
"Yodlee", then you're in for another treat. I have just discovered
how to circumvent their intermediation, but it requires accessing
your data from Quicken or MSMoney and then reading the OFXLOG file to
discover where the account data is really coming from.

Are you in the U.S.? There aren't many other places that use OFX, but
if you're sure your bank uses OFX, then ofx.py may provide files that
can be imported into gnucash.

> I even downloaded my own fidata using the script on the page.  Now my
> questions are:
>
> 1. Is there a way to tell gnucash or aqbanking to use the downloaded
> fidata automatically?

Not yet. I think last year's version of the fidata is included in
aqbanking, but even that isn't directly accessible in all cases for
ofxdirectconnect connections. IIRC, there are some changes in the
works for libofx that should make it easier for aqbanking to directly
populate some setup fields, but that may be a while.

> 2. What's the proper procedure to set up the US online banking info
> in gnucash?

At the moment, though setting up online banking in gnucash requires
running the AqHBCI Wizard (select HBCI Setup... from the Tools menu,
click Forward in the first dialog, and click the launch AqHBCI Wizard
button in the second dialog). What then appears is the aqbanking
setup window that will take more than a mailing list entry to describe.

Another alternative is to get ofx.py working (since you'll need the
various fields used in that script before you can get aqbanking set
up). Once you've established that ofx.py produces a valid ofx format
file, then it's certainly worth considering the effort required to
set up aqbanking within gnucash.

I really do need to get the aqbanking setup function documented --
Martin Preuss did a tremendous job of getting ofxdirectconnect
working, I should do what I can to return the favor and try to
document the setup for use in gnucash.

On 9/18/06, David Reiser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Discussion can go back to gnucash-user, I'm just copying -devel in
> case someone only saw the second request...

Thanks, David.

> On Sep 17, 2006, at 2:27 AM, Dawning Sky wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been using gnucash for a few years now.  Just upgraded to 2.0.1
> > using the rpm's on my FC5 machine.
> >
> > Now I'm trying to get online banking to work.   I've been trying to
> > follow
> >
> > http://www.jongsma.org/gc/
> >
> > I've tried a few banks that I have accounts with but nothing worked.
>
> Which banks? What types of accounts? One's first pass through fidata
> can be quite confusing. Also, if any of your <ORG> fields say
> "Yodlee", then you're in for another treat. I have just discovered
> how to circumvent their intermediation, but it requires accessing
> your data from Quicken or MSMoney and then reading the OFXLOG file to
> discover where the account data is really coming from.

I've basically tried all banks that I have accounts with, such as Bank
of America, Discover Card, American Express, Citi Cards.  Noone works,
with different kinds of error messages, some just unable to connect,
some with error processing job queues.  I do have Yodlee, which is the
BofA.

> Are you in the U.S.? There aren't many other places that use OFX, but
> if you're sure your bank uses OFX, then ofx.py may provide files that
> can be imported into gnucash.

I am in the U.S.  It seems to me all my banks use OFX.  I did try
ofx.py with the default sites in it.  I was able to get ucard, which
is the Citi Cards, to send back my account list.  But no luck with
others.  When I tried Citi Cards inside Gnucash, it tells me "Error
executing backend's queue."

And I'm not really looking for a solution outside of GnuCash.  I have
already been able to download .ofx files through my banks online
banking system, except for Discover Card.

> > I even downloaded my own fidata using the script on the page.  Now my
> > questions are:
> >
> > 1. Is there a way to tell gnucash or aqbanking to use the downloaded
> > fidata automatically?
>
> Not yet. I think last year's version of the fidata is included in
> aqbanking, but even that isn't directly accessible in all cases for
> ofxdirectconnect connections. IIRC, there are some changes in the
> works for libofx that should make it easier for aqbanking to directly
> populate some setup fields, but that may be a while.
>
> > 2. What's the proper procedure to set up the US online banking info
> > in gnucash?
>
> At the moment, though setting up online banking in gnucash requires
> running the AqHBCI Wizard (select HBCI Setup... from the Tools menu,
> click Forward in the first dialog, and click the launch AqHBCI Wizard
> button in the second dialog). What then appears is the aqbanking
> setup window that will take more than a mailing list entry to describe.

I already did that, using data I got inside fidata.  But nothing works.

> Another alternative is to get ofx.py working (since you'll need the
> various fields used in that script before you can get aqbanking set
> up). Once you've established that ofx.py produces a valid ofx format
> file, then it's certainly worth considering the effort required to
> set up aqbanking within gnucash.
>
> I really do need to get the aqbanking setup function documented --
> Martin Preuss did a tremendous job of getting ofxdirectconnect
> working, I should do what I can to return the favor and try to
> document the setup for use in gnucash.

I've already very satisfied with GnuCash, actually.  I've been using
it for 4 years now.  It just seems aqbanking with ofxdirect is realy
worth a try after I upgraded to 2.0.  And once that works, my wife
will be really impressed and stop telling me Quicken or MS Money can
easily do that.

"Dawning Sky" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I've basically tried all banks that I have accounts with, such as Bank
> of America, Discover Card, American Express, Citi Cards.  Noone works,
> with different kinds of error messages, some just unable to connect,
> some with error processing job queues.  I do have Yodlee, which is the
> BofA.

Make sure you're using libofx 0.8.2 and an AqBanking built against
that version of libofx?

On 9/19/06, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "Dawning Sky" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > I've basically tried all banks that I have accounts with, such as Bank
> > of America, Discover Card, American Express, Citi Cards.  Noone works,
> > with different kinds of error messages, some just unable to connect,
> > some with error processing job queues.  I do have Yodlee, which is the
> > BofA.
>
> Make sure you're using libofx 0.8.2 and an AqBanking built against
> that version of libofx?

So this could be the cause?  I'm using libofx 0.8.0 that comes with
FC5, and aqbanking rpm from

http://people.redhat.com/notting/gnucash/2.0/FC-5/

which I assume was built against 0.8.0.

So maybe I'll have to wait for FC6, or I'll have to build them from
source myself.

> -derek

DS

Re: 2.0.1 on FC5 trying online banking in the US

Derek Atkins
Quoting Dawning Sky <[hidden email]>:

> On 9/19/06, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> "Dawning Sky" <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > I've basically tried all banks that I have accounts with, such as Bank
>> > of America, Discover Card, American Express, Citi Cards.  Noone works,
>> > with different kinds of error messages, some just unable to connect,
>> > some with error processing job queues.  I do have Yodlee, which is the
>> > BofA.
>>
>> Make sure you're using libofx 0.8.2 and an AqBanking built against
>> that version of libofx?
>>

> So this could be the cause?  I'm using libofx 0.8.0 that comes with
> FC5, and aqbanking rpm from
>
> http://people.redhat.com/notting/gnucash/2.0/FC-5/
>
> which I assume was built against 0.8.0.

Yeah, OFX Direct Connect doesn't work until libofx-0.8.2.  So if you're
using 0.8.0 then no, it wont work.

Maybe you could convince Bill to build FC5 packages of 0.8.2?

> So maybe I'll have to wait for FC6, or I'll have to build them from
> source myself.
>
>> -derek

Re: 2.0.1 on FC5 trying online banking in the US

Bill Nottingham
Derek Atkins ([hidden email]) said:
> Maybe you could convince Bill to build FC5 packages of 0.8.2?

The problem is that there are other things in Extras dependent on libofx,
and the ABI changed between 0.8.0 and 0.8.2. If I get a chance, I'll
try and do a one-off to put there.

Bill

Quoting Bill Nottingham <[hidden email]>:

> Derek Atkins ([hidden email]) said:
>> Maybe you could convince Bill to build FC5 packages of 0.8.2?
>
> The problem is that there are other things in Extras dependent on libofx,
> and the ABI changed between 0.8.0 and 0.8.2. If I get a chance, I'll
> try and do a one-off to put there.

Oh, I didn't realize that there was actually anything other than
GnuCash and AqBanking that actually used libofx!  If you don't mind
me asking, what else in Fedora Extras uses it?

> Bill

Re: 2.0.1 on FC5 trying online banking in the US

Bill Nottingham
Derek Atkins ([hidden email]) said:
> >The problem is that there are other things in Extras dependent on libofx,
> >and the ABI changed between 0.8.0 and 0.8.2. If I get a chance, I'll
> >try and do a one-off to put there.
>
> Oh, I didn't realize that there was actually anything other than
> GnuCash and AqBanking that actually used libofx!  If you don't mind
> me asking, what else in Fedora Extras uses it?

KMyMoney and Grisbi.

Bill

Re: 2.0.1 on FC5 trying online banking in the US

Derek Atkins
Quoting Bill Nottingham <[hidden email]>:

> Derek Atkins ([hidden email]) said:
>> >The problem is that there are other things in Extras dependent on libofx,
>> >and the ABI changed between 0.8.0 and 0.8.2. If I get a chance, I'll
>> >try and do a one-off to put there.
>>
>> Oh, I didn't realize that there was actually anything other than
>> GnuCash and AqBanking that actually used libofx!  If you don't mind
>> me asking, what else in Fedora Extras uses it?
>
> KMyMoney and Grisbi.

Ahh.   Well, nobody really cares about Grisbi, but KMM is certainly
important enough that it shouldn't be broken.   I guess it would be
challenging to queue and synchronize an upgrade of libofx and a
rebuild of these packages?

It's too bad the ABI changed.  It's unfortunate that more people don't
care about ABI compatibility.  :(

> Bill

Re: 2.0.1 on FC5 trying online banking in the US

Bill Nottingham
Derek Atkins ([hidden email]) said:
> Ahh.   Well, nobody really cares about Grisbi, but KMM is certainly
> important enough that it shouldn't be broken.   I guess it would be
> challenging to queue and synchronize an upgrade of libofx and a
> rebuild of these packages?

I prefer not to change the ABI in released distros, for obvious reasons;
considering at this point that GnuCash 2 probably won't be pushed as
an *official* FC-5 update, it doesn't seem worth it. I'll cook up
something to put in the repo on my people page.

Bill

Re: 2.0.1 on FC5 trying online banking in the US

Dawning Sky
On 9/19/06, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah, OFX Direct Connect doesn't work until libofx-0.8.2.  So if you're
> using 0.8.0 then no, it wont work.
>
> Maybe you could convince Bill to build FC5 packages of 0.8.2?

I compiled and installed libofx 0.8.2 and aqbanking 2.1.0, still the
same error pops up "error executing backend's queue", when I try to
download balance or transactions from Citi Cards or Fidelity, which I
have confirmed to work with aqbanking using ofx.py.  Do I need to
recompile GnuCash too?  Or aqbanking 2.1.0 is too old?  I know 2.2.1
has been released, but there are some dependency problems on my FC5.

Other banks, such as Discover Card, refuse to give transactions when I
connect to them using ofx.py.  Inside the .ofx file it says
unsupported application or version.

Thanks for all your guys' help.  I hope Bill can build some RPMs for us too.

On Sep 19, 2006, at 10:30 PM, Dawning Sky wrote:

> On 9/19/06, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Yeah, OFX Direct Connect doesn't work until libofx-0.8.2.  So if
>> you're
>> using 0.8.0 then no, it wont work.
>>
>> Maybe you could convince Bill to build FC5 packages of 0.8.2?
>>

> I compiled and installed libofx 0.8.2 and aqbanking 2.1.0, still the
> same error pops up "error executing backend's queue", when I try to
> download balance or transactions from Citi Cards or Fidelity, which I
> have confirmed to work with aqbanking using ofx.py.  Do I need to
> recompile GnuCash too?  Or aqbanking 2.1.0 is too old?  I know 2.2.1
> has been released, but there are some dependency problems on my FC5.

aqbanking 2.1.0 was released in June. It should be new enough. I was
having good success with aqbanking and OFXDirectConnect prior to mid
May in the 1.9.x series of GnuCash, and using libofx from cvs that
had the OFXDC fix in it.

I have a citicard account that works in gnucash.

In the aqbanking setup wizard for the Citi account, setting up a User
in the General Tab (window says "User Configuration"):
the User Name can be anything
I have my Citicards web login name in both the User ID and Customer
ID fields (I'm pretty sure now that it is the UserID that gets sent
in the ofx dialog, but when I was first setting them up I wasn't sure)

In Bank Settings:
Country is set to United States of America
Bank ID is 24909 (though I don't think this matters for credit card
accounts)

In the OFX tab
FID is 24909
ORG is Citigroup
Broker ID is blank

Connection settings:
server url: https://secureofx2.bankhost.com/citi/cgi-forte/ofx_rt?
servicename=ofx_rt&pagename=ofx

And I have the Supports Account List Download button clicked

At this point, you can click the "Get Accounts" button, aqbanking
will ask you for your citicard PIN, log onto the ofx server, and
request  a list of your accounts from Citi. This works much better
than trying to define both a User and one or more Accounts.

It sounds like you have gotten as far as linking an aqbanking account
with a gnucash register in the aqHBCI wizard, so I won't go through
that.

It has been a while since I struggled with this, but your problem may
be that you have something slightly amiss in the account description
that is causing the connection to fail. If you get the user
information right (Clicking Get Accounts in the aqbanking setup
reports success), then you know aqbanking has set the right things up
in the account description for that "User".

> Other banks, such as Discover Card, refuse to give transactions when I
> connect to them using ofx.py.  Inside the .ofx file it says
> unsupported application or version.

The wiki has the answer to this one: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/
FAQ#Q:_Can_I_import_my_.28USA.29_Discover_credit-card_info.3F
You have to change two lines in ofx.py so that the ofx server thinks
you're using a newer version of Quicken.

> Thanks for all your guys' help.  I hope Bill can build some RPMs
> for us too.
>
> DS

Dave
--
David Reiser

Re: 2.0.1 on FC5 trying online banking in the US

David Reiser
One more thought:

In the aqbanking setup (accessed via the Start AqHBCI Wizard button
after choosing Tools>HBCI Setup... in gnucash), in the Configuration
dialog, there is a tab "Backends". You have to go to that tab, select
the line containing "aqofxconnect" and click the Enable button. If
the backend is not 'enabled', then that might give you the error
you're seeing even if you get other things set up right.

However, you should be failing at the User setup phase if the backend
is not enabled.

--
David Reiser

On 9/19/06, David Reiser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> aqbanking 2.1.0 was released in June. It should be new enough. I was
> having good success with aqbanking and OFXDirectConnect prior to mid
> May in the 1.9.x series of GnuCash, and using libofx from cvs that
> had the OFXDC fix in it.
>
> I have a citicard account that works in gnucash.
>
> In the aqbanking setup wizard for the Citi account, setting up a User
> in the General Tab (window says "User Configuration"):
> the User Name can be anything
> I have my Citicards web login name in both the User ID and Customer
> ID fields (I'm pretty sure now that it is the UserID that gets sent
> in the ofx dialog, but when I was first setting them up I wasn't sure)
>
> In Bank Settings:
> Country is set to United States of America
> Bank ID is 24909 (though I don't think this matters for credit card
> accounts)
>
> In the OFX tab
> FID is 24909
> ORG is Citigroup
> Broker ID is blank
>
> Connection settings:
> server url: https://secureofx2.bankhost.com/citi/cgi-forte/ofx_rt?
> servicename=ofx_rt&pagename=ofx
>
> And I have the Supports Account List Download button clicked
>
> At this point, you can click the "Get Accounts" button, aqbanking
> will ask you for your citicard PIN, log onto the ofx server, and
> request  a list of your accounts from Citi. This works much better
> than trying to define both a User and one or more Accounts.

I didn't do a "Get Accounts".   Now with this and link my GnuCash
accounts to the fetched accounts, I'm able to download transactions
and balance for my Citi Cards.  So great!

One problem though, with the 2.0.1 compiled by bill, GnuCash crashes
when the downloading almost completes.  I also compiled a svn version
of GnuCash, which works great.

> It sounds like you have gotten as far as linking an aqbanking account
> with a gnucash register in the aqHBCI wizard, so I won't go through
> that.
>
> It has been a while since I struggled with this, but your problem may
> be that you have something slightly amiss in the account description
> that is causing the connection to fail. If you get the user
> information right (Clicking Get Accounts in the aqbanking setup
> reports success), then you know aqbanking has set the right things up
> in the account description for that "User".
>

> The wiki has the answer to this one: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/
> FAQ#Q:_Can_I_import_my_.28USA.29_Discover_credit-card_info.3F
> You have to change two lines in ofx.py so that the ofx server thinks
> you're using a newer version of Quicken.

Works perfectly.  Thanks.

On 9/20/06, Dawning Sky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > The wiki has the answer to this one: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/
> > FAQ#Q:_Can_I_import_my_.28USA.29_Discover_credit-card_info.3F
> > You have to change two lines in ofx.py so that the ofx server thinks
> > you're using a newer version of Quicken.
>
> Works perfectly.  Thanks.

Just wondering, is there a place I can change the application id and
version inside aqbanking/gnucash so that I can download from Discover
Card or American Express inside GnuCash?

On Sep 20, 2006, at 11:57 PM, Dawning Sky wrote:

> On 9/20/06, Dawning Sky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> > The wiki has the answer to this one: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/
>> > FAQ#Q:_Can_I_import_my_.28USA.29_Discover_credit-card_info.3F
>> > You have to change two lines in ofx.py so that the ofx server
>> thinks
>> > you're using a newer version of Quicken.
>>
>> Works perfectly.  Thanks.
>
> Just wondering, is there a place I can change the application id and
> version inside aqbanking/gnucash so that I can download from Discover
> Card or American Express inside GnuCash?

should be possible now -- aqbanking already uses the QWIN/1200 settings

--
David Reiser

On 9/20/06, David Reiser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> thinks
> >>
> >> Works perfectly.  Thanks.
> >
> > Just wondering, is there a place I can change the application id and
> > version inside aqbanking/gnucash so that I can download from Discover
> > Card or American Express inside GnuCash?
>
> should be possible now -- aqbanking already uses the QWIN/1200 settings

Great.  Compiled the aqbanking 2.2.1 and now it works?

Next I'll have to solve the Yodlee problem.

Thanks a lot for all you guys' help.

DS