1. Scheduled transaction editor(SX) 2. Gnucash quit unexpectedly 3. Chart of accounts 4. Column sort order

1. Scheduled transaction editor(SX) 2. Gnucash quit unexpectedly 3. Chart of accounts 4. Column sort order

Peter Kiessling
I am a newbie. A few minor issues I could use some help with and didn't find in FAQ. MacOS10.8.2. Gnucash 2.4.11.

1. How to enter transactions (into working register) from "scheduled transaction editor." The template field does have a plus sign(icon) for entering I suppose but it does not enter the transaction into the working register.
2. On quitting a session I may get reminder to save file, which I click.  Gnucash quits but a new window opens saying it quit unexpectedly and has some stuff that looks like a log file. There is a "reopen'" button which when clicked gives another window saying unable to  provide a "LocK"
and "open anyway"
3. I've built a customized "Chart of Accounts". How can I copy this and then import it into a new virgin file of gnucash. Like when archiving and starting new accounting period.
4. In the accounts, for instance, a column sort order appears to be Alpha or numeric ascending and descending with arrows but one position is blank and rearranges things on what?
Thanks
Pete
prl

Re: 1. Scheduled transaction editor(SX) 2. Gnucash quit unexpectedly 3. Chart of accounts 4. Column sort order

prl
On 14/02/13 16:08, Peter Kiessling wrote:
> I am a newbie. A few minor issues I could use some help with and didn't find in FAQ. MacOS10.8.2. Gnucash 2.4.11.
>
> 1. How to enter transactions (into working register) from "scheduled transaction editor." The template field does have a plus sign(icon) for entering I suppose but it does not enter the transaction into the working register.
I'm not sure what you're expecting, but scheduled transactions enter
their registers when their scheduled date comes up. If you have just
entered a scheduled transaction for the current day, then
Actions>Scheduled Transactions>Since Last Run... should create the
transaction in the registers involved.

You don't have to to use scheduled transactions for transactions you've
committed to in the future. For my credit card statement, for example, I
reconcile the statement with Gnucash, then the final step there is a
window to create a transaction to pay the credit card. With that still
on the screen, I go to my Internet banking, set up a bank transaction to
pay the credit card for a few days before the due date, and then enter
the corresponding details, including the actual payment date, in the
transaction window in Gnucash. I can't do bank transactions direct from
Gnucash, but if you can, the workflow would be different, but the
principle the same. I end up with a transaction dated in the future in
Gnucash, with the same date as the real-world transaction will be executed.

However, for direct debit transactions (e.g. my utilities accounts), I
have a scheduled transaction set up for when the direct debit occurs,
but I set the correct amount in the transaction when my utilities bill
arrives.

Fixed-amount regular transactions (e.g payments on my mortgage, and
payments from my pension) just sit there unmodified and push
transactions into the register for the day they occur in real life.

Future transactions are separated from current-day and past transactions
by a thick blue line in the register.

I use the Create in Advance and Warn in Advance options on my scheduled
transactions so I can see the transactions in Gnucash a few days before
they are actually due.

Peter

On Feb 13, 2013, at 9:08 PM, Peter Kiessling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2. On quitting a session I may get reminder to save file, which I click.  Gnucash quits but a new window opens saying it quit unexpectedly and has some stuff that looks like a log file. There is a "reopen'" button which when clicked gives another window saying unable to  provide a "LocK"
> and "open anyway"

This is a know bug, which I can't find in Bugzilla ATM.

> 3. I've built a customized "Chart of Accounts". How can I copy this and then import it into a new virgin file of gnucash. Like when archiving and starting new accounting period.

File>Export Accounts.

But don't, at least not for starting a new accounting period. The reports are designed to take care of accounting periods for you so that you can keep all of your history in one file. If you want to flush income and expense accounts to equity, use  Tools>Close Book

> 4. In the accounts, for instance, a column sort order appears to be Alpha or numeric ascending and descending with arrows but one position is blank and rearranges things on what?
Sorry, I don't understand the question.

Re: 1. Scheduled transaction editor(SX) 2. Gnucash quit unexpectedly 3. Chart of accounts 4. Column sort order

sunfish62
John--

I think you are thinking of Bug 649142 and the emails in this thread: http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2011-September/041193.html

But presumably this was fixed?

David

________________________________
On Feb 13, 2013, at 9:08 PM, Peter Kiessling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2. On quitting a session I may get reminder to save file, which I click.  Gnucash quits but a new window opens saying it quit unexpectedly and has some stuff that looks like a log file. There is a "reopen'" button which when clicked gives another window saying unable to  provide a "LocK"
> and "open anyway"

This is a know bug, which I can't find in Bugzilla ATM.

> 3. I've built a customized "Chart of Accounts". How can I copy this and then import it into a new virgin file of gnucash. Like when archiving and starting new accounting period.

File>Export Accounts.

But don't, at least not for starting a new accounting period. The reports are designed to take care of accounting periods for you so that you can keep all of your history in one file. If you want to flush income and expense accounts to equity, use  Tools>Close Book

> 4. In the accounts, for instance, a column sort order appears to be Alpha or numeric ascending and descending with arrows but one position is blank and rearranges things on what?
Sorry, I don't understand the question.

Re: 1. Scheduled transaction editor(SX) 2. Gnucash quit unexpectedly 3. Chart of accounts 4. Column sort order

John Ralls-2

On Feb 14, 2013, at 11:52 AM, David T. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John--
>
> I think you are thinking of Bug 649142 and the emails in this thread: http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2011-September/041193.html
>
> But presumably this was fixed?

David,

Thanks, that was it.

Yes, presumably it was fixed, since it's closed, and I just now tried to reproduce it and failed. But I have managed to trigger it with 3.4.11, so it's not completely dead.

Peter,

There should be a crash log which you can look at with Applications:Utilities:Console. Make sure the log list sidebar is open (the button on the left end of the toolbar toggles it). You'll see an entry called Gnucash_2013-02.... Please open a bug at

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GnuCash

and add that file as an attachment -- just drag it from Console into the File box in the attachment form.

Re: 1. Scheduled transaction editor(SX) 2. Gnucash quit unexpectedly 3. Chart of accounts 4. Column sort order

Peter Kiessling
John  and all,
Hope I've  got this reply thing right.  Clicked Reply All. Then added to CC. Didn't seem to pick up entire thread though.

Thanks for speedy reply. Log file in Bugzilla per request (I hope) (Stretched my computer skills-not quite a easy as described :()
Re SX:  Yeah I use the early create/warning scheduler. Sometimes I can enter a transaction even before the interval I set (my OCD:)) I read somewhere you could do this from the editor.  There is the icon I mentioned as well as an enter dialog in a drop down box, but that doesn't seem to do it.  Comment?
Re Sorting: The column header boxes have, on clicking, little up or down arrows for which way the sort.  There is one blank (no arrow) setting which in my account number code column sorts it mostly numeric ascending except places 3000 series at end corresponding to "Equity"group.   Is the sort now defaulting to a different column?
Peter K